“Get what you pay for?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Steak and Lobster at Alto

Steak and Lobster at Alto
Free Trade Hall, Peter Street | Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, Manchester M2 5GP, England
+44 161 835 8903
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #419 of 1,685 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Offering an exciting dining concept, Steak & Lobster Manchester has forgone a menu brimming with choice to offer just 2 dishes: a 10oz rib eye steak or a whole lobster. Enjoy views through the floor-to-ceiling windows and soak up the informal, understated atmosphere whilst appreciating the simplicity and speed of this fresh and original concept.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Get what you pay for?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Thought I'd give this a go as it's obviously a cheap deal, even though it's price was relatively low, they only serve 1 of 2 mains and it's a hotel with a good reputation so thought the food would be good.
Service was generally good to start with (even though I wasn't informed of the unlimited fries!), however while eating dessert they decided to start cleaning up and preparing for evening service making us feel pretty unwelcome as well as being put off by a very strong smelling cleaning product.
The deal I got was including free dessert (which was an okay knickerbocker glory) meaning the overall cost was fairly low.
I had the lobster (grilled) and it really wasn't that nice, fairly tasteless and a bit watery. Very disappointing. My partner had steak which I'm told was okay but not great.

Great idea but executed badly. Even at a very reasonable price I feel like I overpaid! At the very least It felt like we'd gone there between shifts and possibly had a bad experience because of it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Average for experience, Good for value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Visited Alto again to try the steak as we had tried the lobster the other time and we also wanted to do that during the promotion period for free dessert! It was busier this time with more groups dining. We both ordered the steak. The waitress was a bit confused so after she had served us the steaks she said she had to go check to make sure it was our order - you would think this is something she would have confirmed before giving us the plates of food? So we sat staring at our steaks for a few minutes while she went to find out - so by the time she came back to confirm that yes, the steaks were ours!!, it had gone a bit cold. Thank goodness we didn't sneeze or cough on the steaks! The steaks were OK, not exactly cooked to perfection but not tough and grisly like those from some other joints. Again, we were offered more chips and salad which was very welcome, though this time the salad didn't taste as nice - there were bits of white in it which I could only assume were bits of feta cheese and the seasoning was not as good as when we went the first time. For dessert my husband ordered the chocolate fudge cake and I had the banoffee pie. They were both very beautifully presented and I preferred the banoffee pie to the fudge cake which was a bog standard chocolate cake. We bumped into our friends in Alto and they were with their child and I thought the waitress and waiter made an effort to make her feel comfortable which was nice. Obviously due to the limited menu, she could only have salad and chips, but she seemed happy enough. One thing which was slightly dissatisfying was when our friends settled their bill they were asked to pay for the desserts as they hadn't booked online - this was resolved after a word with one of the wait staff. I would think the same deal should apply regardless of whether a booking is made online or through the phone or to walk-in customers. All in all, it was not as good an experience as our first visit, but I still rate Alto for the good value package - do check in advance whether they will honour the free dessert thingy, though! If there was a 'Good', that would be rating I would give, but I would have to give it 'Average' for the slight downer of an experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Limerick, Ireland
“hit the spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I liked the fact that it was casual dining. Very tasty but came with few chips, however there was no bother at all in ordering extra portions and no charge for same.

Visited February 2013
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food at Steak & Lobster @ ALTO, It would be great to welcome you back one day soon... @RBEHotels #SandLAlto Connect with us on Twitter, Ryan.
Oxford
“it was excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

had dinner there last week.It was so good we had a steak, grilled lobster and a steamed lobster between two of us, good wine list, good staff excellent value

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your kind words, It is great to hear and I will share with the team, Ryan.
Middleton,Manchester
“For £15 each we all want to go again and take our partners ......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

A belated team Chrstmas do - 7 ladies on a night out and we chose well- we knew it was steak or lobster, both were excellent, the salad and chips kept on coming and they were lovely as well. We all enjoyed the sweets, the staff were deightful, the surroundings are modern and pleasant. For £15 each we all want to go again and take our partners for perfectly cooked steaks or tasty lobster, endless salad & chips as promised

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere