“Brilliant Idea - Terrible Execution” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Steak and Lobster at Alto

Steak and Lobster at Alto
Free Trade Hall, Peter Street | Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, Manchester M2 5GP, England
+44 161 835 8903
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #410 of 1,665 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Offering an exciting dining concept, Steak & Lobster Manchester has forgone a menu brimming with choice to offer just 2 dishes: a 10oz rib eye steak or a whole lobster. Enjoy views through the floor-to-ceiling windows and soak up the informal, understated atmosphere whilst appreciating the simplicity and speed of this fresh and original concept.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Idea - Terrible Execution”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I hate to write this review because it is a excellent idea and cheap.

But I am sorry to say cheap doesn't mean value...

OK let's break it down:

Staff where fine - but in a five star hotel you would hope so...
Room is OK - it's a breakfast room so again what can you say...
So the food...

The lobster aka prawn tail was utterly tasteless. I mean it was only texture - what ever highly inventive cooking practice was utilised to leech this king crustacean's sweet flavour I want to know; is a miracle of modern science. I cracked into the claw and what burst forth was torrent of bilge water, once this had cleared what was left was a sorry withered claw, muddy tasting with extreme over cooking.

The fries: limp and pale - I sent them back, the second batch were worse arrrhhh. My god they can't even cook fries. Even Ronald and the blooming Hamburglar can get this one right!

The salad was totally under dressed and weirdly watery and crushed into a tiny pot. I asked for some dressing on the side and got a mix of truffle oil and balsamic - is this a sick joke?

Finally the steak - fine I guess if you haven't had really good stuff in the past. Oh but mine was totally over cooked so ruined. Plus the knifes are so blunt you just end up pushing your steak around your plate like at idiot.

In conclusion I am aghast that if a place only does two things why does it do them so extremely badly?

Looking at the other reviews you may think I am too picky - but no - the French place on King
Street with the long name and the weird service does steak and salad perfectly every time.

Anyway it's a shame because Manchester deserves some of that 'do one thing brilliantly for a low price' thing that London and New York et al has but it is not here.

Good for people who have never been out of the bottle neck!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“goooood!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

i made a reservation online and i have to say i was a little worried because i don't trust a lot of things on the internet confirmation of my booking came immediately which made my day. i loved the steak and the beverages i reccomend this restaurant to every one.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester
“Fantastic Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Simply a choice of steak or lobster served with fries and salad, both are unlimited, with a choice of 3 desserts all for £15. Great value in one of Manchester's premier hotels. Highly recommend, good atmosphere and friendly staff. Will definitely be returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
RyanThompsonRBEH, Manager at Steak and Lobster at Alto, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I will pass your comments on to my team, I am glad that you enjoyed their friendly service and that you like the concept. We look forward to welcoming you back #SandLalto
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Where else can you find lobster for £15??!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had seen a review on Evening News and also based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, decided to give it a go. Honestly, where else can you get lobster for £15? We booked online for lunch and the process was simple and we got a confirmation email. Also during a limited period of time there is free dessert - SCORE!! We were the only ones to dine when we arrived, so it was a bit odd with an empty restaurant. There seemed to be people there for drinks, but no one else seemed to be eating! We both got the grilled lobster which came with chips and salad. The chips were thin, well cooked and tasty (though perhaps a tad salty) and the salad was beautifully dressed - with sunflower seeds and croutons. The lobster came with different implements to get into it - so we let the fun begin! The lobster was grilled with garlic butter, but couldn't really taste this and the meat on the body itself was a little rubbery. However the meat from the claws was soft and tasty. We were offered more chips and salad which was a bonus! For the free dessert, we ordered Knickerbocker Glory - melon pieces laden with ice cream and cream on the top. I wasn't a fan of the cream but the ice cream and melon combi was heavenly! £15 for a main and dessert is really good value for money. To be honest we were expecting a catch and for the final bill to have loads of extras added on, but this was not the case. The service was friendly and warm, the atmosphere was lacking a bit as we were the only diners, but it also meant we could make a mess (can't avoid it with the lobster) without being too self-conscious. Also I would say the presentation of the dish is beautiful, but in terms of ease of dining - perhaps chips and salad would be better on side plates rather than in little pots. This is an amazing find and I would love to go back and try the steak and maybe the steamed lobster, not forgetting the desserts - it will be banoffee pie for me the next time!! : ) Check this place out, it's highly recommended!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking note of our previous reviews, there are so many people talking about Steak & Lobster across the city! It is nice to hear about the fun you had eating your lobsters… Knickerbockerglory is my favourite dessert but I do enjoy the chocolate fudge cake too. I like your photos and thank you for highly recommending it, We look forward to you coming back #SandLalto
North West England UK
“Great place, the £15 does exactly what is says on the tin - very quiet for a Thursday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Great offer and sampled both dishes - for £15 with free dessert when booked via their website you cannot go wrong. Ask for more fries if your hungry, they were great!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Surf and Turf… glad you enjoyed Steak & Lobster @ ALTO, come back and see us soon!