“Great hotel service, but can't give it five stars” 4 of 5 stars

Online breakfast offer
Ranked #4 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel service, but can't give it five stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

First off, I had a great stay, and a great sleep.

The hotel is bang in the gay area, and a big festival was in full swing, so I got the room at what I expect is the area's noisiest. The noise deadening of the secondary glazing was very good. Not total, but quieter than the AC. But how often do you need AC in Manchester. The beds were super comfy, and I slept like a log. I'd also note that because it is in a pedestrian area, on weekdays, the hotel seems super quiet and cosy. That cosy atmosphere was evident in the old-fashioned bookshelf, with books and board games.

The room was very clean, and the kettle, glasses etc spotless. The mini-bar was well stocked, and the coffee, tea, and fresh milk refreshed daily. A picnic hamper for a snack bar, bath robes in both wardrobe and bathroom ... and a rubber duck on the bath towels. Cute.

To nit-pick, the room was a bit dimly lit. Mostly for effect, but girls need full-spectrum lighting ... just to check. I did not use the adjoining restaurant, except for breakfast. The continental breakfast was disappointing. Full english was good, but the service was a little slow. The bar was OK, but too noisy for me. I did mention there was a huge festival going on, didn't I? I expect that at other times the ambience would be lovely. Certainly, the bar was lovely and comfortable.

Finding it, for someone who does not know Manchester, was not entirely easy. You can park at the rear entrance on Richmond St to offload baggage, and there are plenty of other car parks around.

I was really happy with the price I got, and I would certainly go back, at that price, but I'm reviewing this against the full price. I guess I'm not a boutique girl, because I would expect more facilities. The hotel did partner with fitness clubs etc, but not on-site. If you like the boutique and bijou ambience, this is a lovely hotel, in a fantastic location.

Finally, and it does bear mention (and possibly just one more star) what set this hotel apart was the lovely service. Slow breakfast apart, the staff could not have been more helpful, or more pleasant. There are many other reasons to stay here, but that is certainly the main reason I'd go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed on a late availability deal and had a really good time. The double shower in our room (36) was great, could have stayed in it for ages. Some really nice touches in the room like the welcome tray with ice, fresh milk, proper coffee, all really simple but add a little something over the standard hotel offerings. We ate in the restaurant that night and, despite being told their was a potential delay due to how busy they were, food was excellent and not slow.

Don't bother with the valet parking that's offered, the hotel is surrounded by car parks charging around £5 per day, bit annoying when you pay £25 and the wait for your car to come back is longer than walking to one of he local parks.

We'd defiantly go back next time we need to stay in Manchester.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We selected The Velvet based on TripAdvisor reviews. For once I think travelers may have gotten it wrong. There were pro's and con's about The Velvet. IMHO this is not worthy of the #1 rating on TA.

Pros: Convenient location. Decent sized room. Clean (except for the large unavoidable spider crawling from the bathroom one night). Comfortable bed. Nice welcome basket. Turn down service.

Cons: (Some, but not all that management can address:)

The bath/shower is a combo and requires some effort to get over the nearly 3 foot lip to step into the bath/shower. There is NO SAFETY HANDLE and I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone falls and gets injured.

The toilet seat was loose as was the toilet paper roll.

Upon check-in we were asked if we wanted a morning paper. On checkout we found out we were being charged for it. Just classless.

The bedding was a large soft comforter. However there was no top sheet. Unless these large comforters are washed after every guest leaves it raises the question of cleanliness.

The staff manner during our limited interaction ranged from disinterested to friendly.

We entered on Canal Street and carried our luggage up 20 narrow steps only to realize on departure that there is a back entrance that has a lift.

Canal Street is in the heart of the Gay District. It was quite lively. Sadly, the thumping of the late night music could not be drowned out by a room facing the back of the building. Ear plugs are offered by the hotel which is kind of them but doesn't filter low end bass. And who wants to sleep with ear plugs. The street vomit each morning made the start of the day a bit unpleasant.

There is no concierge so we were on our own when exploring. That would explain the lack of email response from the hotel that we sent in advance of check in when we wanted to see if play tickets could be gotten.

This boutique hotel is more than a B&B but less than a full-fledged hotel. Next time we are in the city we will try another.

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I treated my girlfriend to dinner at Velvet last Saturday evening. I had booked in advance, and I am so glad I did. From start to finish it was a wonderful evening there.

The service was slick, waitress was lovely and polite yet fast and efficient. The food was superb and it all was great value for money.

Ambiance chilled and friendly with plenty of room in between the tables so you can have a conversation without anyone else overhearing.

The only criticism I/we have is that the toilet facilities let it down badly. They were unisex and therefore smelt of urine and weren't very clean:(. I wish the gay village sorted their bathroom facilities out!!

We will most certainly be returning!
Probably not to the hotel though a little on the pricey side for us to be able to afford :(

Anna jones

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel & trip to Manchester was a suprise booked by my hubby for our wedding anniversary after I'd been or a hen weekend with the girls the year before & fell in love with Manchester anyways...

The Hotel is situated in canal street & is a short walk away fron the carpark & train station on arrival we were shown to our room (24) & it was just wow! the bed was huge plus it was comfortable too :-) the room was just lovely & clean & well decorated it even had free REN toiletries. We got a knock on the door minutes after being shown to our room with some champagne and tray of treats, compliments of the hotel to help us celebrate our special occasion & the staff couldn't do enough for you, the turn down service on an evening is a great touch too, we also had the bath butler service which is highly recommended :-) it's worth paying that little bit extra for a stay in the velvet as its well worth it...canal street is just great for a night out & for people watching we also had lunch in the restaurant which was fab & reasonably priced also tried the cocktails which were good too all in all will defo return hopefully on our next anniversary!

• Stayed August 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just another return to my favourite hotel in all the UK. I simply love Room 34 and every other room I have been to since the opening days. I am writing this review to compliment the Velvet Central Bar and Restaraunt on the corner of Cenrtal/Mount Street. It is a beautiful building with such friendly staff. The food and drinks are on a par with Velvet Canal Street. Now I can be have the Velvet Experience within seconds during my day off's in Manchester.

Room Tip: There is a fabulous upper level and a beautiful alfresco dining area. Very peaceful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Bought as a gift to help celebrate my wife and I's 40th birthdays it was a genuinely excellent present.
As a fan of small independent boutique hotels I was pleased not to be disappointed with this one. The location is great and the building looks superb. The decor was great in both the entrance and reception area and the room, although not massive was a good size and looked stunning. With exposed brick work, girders and floor joists set against beautiful wall paper, soft furnishings and ornate furniture. After having a nosey at the other rooms they were all different enough for you to want to stay in each but had a similar theme that really worked.
The staff could not have been more accommodating in the restaurant, bar and hotel and made us feel really welcome and made our stay one to remember.
Manchester is a great city with plenty to do and see, superb shopping, beautiful architecture and great night life and I couldn't recommend the whole experience highly enough and would encourage anyone looking to enjoy a fabulous weekend away to head up to Manchester and spend a few nights at Velvet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Velvet? Share your experiences!