“Incredibly loud music ruined dining experience” 3 of 5 stars

+44 161 839 2005
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #427 of 1,764 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Manchester Piccadilly train station is 8 minutes walk
Description: Room is a modern, unique restaurant and cocktail bar located on King Street in the centre of Manchester's commercial and shopping district. An eclectic mix of antique and retro makes this a stunning place to enjoy a private dining experience and we also offer cocktails until late.Our award winning restaurant can cater for up to 120 diners, whilst our bar can cater for up to 80. Room is absolutely perfect for a business lunch, a shopper's retreat or simply somewhere to drop in for a coffee. By night, the restaurant comes alive with the kind of brasserie atmosphere that you would expect within any cosmopolitan city and Room in Manchester is no exception. Enjoy dinner for two in a quiet corner or take a window seat and enjoy your Room with a view.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Incredibly loud music ruined dining experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My friend and I were on a short visit to Manchester, mainly as a theatre trip but, being keen foodies, we also wanted to take in a couple of good eateries. Room was recommended by an acquaintance and certainly the website promised great things. We arrived with high hopes - the building is fantastic - but the smell as we climbed the stairs to the dining room was appalling and, although it could be attributed to bad drains, it was reminiscent of the resultant aroma in a nightclub where too many people have been drinking too much gassy lager. Sure enough, we had to pass through Room's bar area to get to the restaurant and it was already quite busy and extremely noisy with the resident DJ happily manning his decks in an alcove. The bar is only divided from the restaurant by a vast glass panel so in effect everything is in the one 'Room'. We lip read as a member of the waiting on staff directed us to our table which, although at the far end of the restaurant, was no less noisy, but after ten minutes of shouting at one another and realising that it was no way to conduct a conversation on what was supposed to be a special evening out we decided to leave and take stock of the situation. On the premise of returning to the hotel for a forgotten something we made our escape and took refuge In the quiet of the street and after a rational discussion, (with no need to shout), we decided to return and just grin and bear it - after all the menu did look tasty and most of the other restaurants in the vicinity appeared to be Italian and we were eating Italian the next day. I would describe the portions as rather meagre, even for a restaurant of this genre, and certainly not good value for money. I had prawn and crab cocktail as a starter at £8.25 - Three king prawns in tempura batter (delicious), quenelles of spiced (rather salty) crab meat and guacamole, which was barely discernible and served only as a dot of garnish on the plate. I do think the fact that the prawns are battered should be mentioned in the description. Outrageously over-priced. My friend chose Moroccan quail at the same price and served with quinoa, black pudding, apricots & pistachios, Sounds a lot, but miniscule! My North African Spiced Lamb with smoked aubergine, feta cheese, tabbouleh (£19.50) seemed full of Eastern promise when the waiter approached the table with a huge earthenware tagine but when he removed the lid, my heart sank. Okay, the flavours were good but the whole thing was a bit dry and the portion was laughable. My friend had sea bass from the specials (£15.00) with saffron potatoes and a mix of mushrooms/bacon which she enjoyed. With plenty of room for pud, we chose to share a platter of desserts for two at £13.00 and although the selection was not as wide as the waitress had led us to believe it was still the best value by far of everything that night - toasted marshmallow, yummy custard tart, chocolate tart and a selection of ice-creams presented on a two-tier cake stand. We chose a bottle of Pinot Grigio which was reasonably priced and I had an espresso. One thing I would ask diners to watch out for is the indiscriminate policy of adding 10% service charge to the bill. Our bill was for £86 with 10% added making a total to pay of £94.60 but on closer inspection I noticed in VERY small print at the bottom that it stated that 10% service charge is only compulsory for tables of 8+. When I queried this with the waitress she said that they always add it on but that we didn't have to pay it! Why add it on then? She had the bill amended and, although this niggled a bit and my companion was all for not leaving a tip on principle, we did leave something in the end because the service had been good. By the way, we checked and apparently they turn the music up on Friday and Saturday evenings so if you're planning a visit and are looking for an intimate venue where you can chat to your companions, don't book a table at Room at the weekend!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

dublin
“So bad!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friends & I had dinner here last night... There were 13 of us so we were limited to a set menu of 3 rather boring choices & we were all really looking forward to a fantastic meal after travelling up from London.
Most of us started with the pâté which was quite good but the rest of it was a joke!! The cod was so overdone & dry - it was a hard inedible white lump on a plate with potatoes! There was no sauce & it both looked & tasted of nothing. Many plates were sent back to the kitchen untouched. My "roast chicken" I can only describe as plane food. It was vile!!!! Inedible also.
As for desserts... The toasted marshmallow thing was disgusting & the carrot cake was like stodgy uncooked cake mixture with icecream that tasted like sour milk.
Again, plates weren't touched as we all agreed that the food was so bad that it was almost laughable at this stage. Even more infuriating was the really slow & awful service. We left hungry & more than annoyed. 3 of the party had upset stomachs this morning...
I would NOT recommend this restaurant!!!!!!!! So bad!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Celebration Lunch for Graduation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Dined here this to celebrate our daughter's graduation. Décor fantastic, service excellent. Food was very nice we had the set menu which includes a glass of wine for under £20 - very good value for money. Also they had a summer special where champagne was half price. We will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
lancashire
“Ok but expected better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having googled top 10 restaurants in Manchester we plumped for No 6 'The Room'
the building itself is fantastic and decor really nice. We opted for cocktails and the wife had a mojito and I had the Thai Daiquiri, wife's was nice but mine wasn't that great.
We had the set menu for lunch and I had the Blackened mackerel and although a very small fillet was tasty enough. The wife had pate and said it was ok. The wife had the Liver for main and really enjoyed it, I had a taste and thought it was over cooked as I prefer it slightly pink. I had the duck leg and although it was cooked very well but the smoked mash was lumpy and the sauce just wasn't right for the dish.
We then waited 20 minutes to order deserts but nobody came anywhere near out table probably because there isn't enough staff on, 2 waitresses for probably 20 tables wasn't enough. So I went up and asked for the bill, really don't like restaurants for automatically put gratuity on to the final bill and 10% for less that average service isn't my idea of a happy customer, I always tip well and reserve the right to tip accordingly.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Staffordshire
“Nice for a change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

A group of friends and I visited Room Manchester yesterday for lunch.
The restaurant and bar area are upstairs in a lovely old building. The decor is lovely but I think starting to look a little tired around the edges.
The restaurant was really quiet with just us in at 1pm so not much of an atmosphere but this may have been because the weather was so nice, and this restaurant doesn't have any outside areas.
We chose to dine form the all inclusive lunch menu. There was a choice of 4 starters 3 mains and 4 deserts. This may seem like quite a choice but some members of our group struggled as they didn't really like what was on the menu for mains ( veg risotto, duck or coley)
The food was presented beautifully & our waiter was really friendly and attentive. The food was good, not exceptional but very good for the price we paid. I thought the a a carte menu looked fab and would return in an evening to try this.
We decided to have a cocktail in the restaurant after our meal (the barman told us he didn't like making cocktails) but they were great and we all enjoyed them!
Overall, I would visit again but maybe in the evening. There are lots of other restaurants to try in Manchester that have similar offers on lunchtime dining with a little more choice. Service great and food good for the price!

• 4 of 5 stars Food