“Too dark inside” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Too dark inside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Decent food,good choice and variety of dishes.....downstairs a bit like a dungeon. Was relieved to go outside for some daylight at the end of the meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lancashire
“Too 'Hit and Miss'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I reviewed this restaurant back in November 2011 because I loved it so much but NOW feel the need to review again.
Since then I have been 4/5 times and taken business colleagues and friends because I thought that I could count on it pleasing everyone but I have been disappointed each time.
I cannot fault the service, the front of house staff are impeccable WHEN they focus on you, it is just the standard of food mainly. The menu is vast and tempting but the execution has fallen to an average. Under seasoned, luke warm offers that are simply NOT good enough. My RIO FRIO CHICKEN was beautiful and soft yet everything it came with was luke warm and tasteless and the potatoes cold in the middle yet hot outside. as a customer, this screams reheated food that relies on freezers and fridges and microwaves.
We were asked if we were ready to order by FOUR different people and we hadn't even been given a drink. I had walked through town and we had asked for beers because two of us in the party were very thirsty. When I asked where they were I was told that it was taking some time because a cocktail was being made, I asked her to just grab the beers from the bar but I was told that "it is not how we work, we have a queuing system".
Once we had ordered everything we were complacently and completely left alone and I had to beckon the senior gentleman over to order our wine. Who IS a fabulous host!!
I might also point out that we were never once asked if everything was OK. I did not bring it to the attention of anyone as we did not want to cause a scene in front of our party (who we knew very little about)... Feedback from those I have sent here also echo my thoughts, so I just won't be coming back here, or recommending it any longer and that was the motivation for this review.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester England
“Hit and Miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Have eaten here several times. I credit it with serving me one of the nicest steaks I have ever had in my life.
However, as others have said, service is sometimes a bit hit and miss - particularly at the lunch service. Well priced, early-doors, table-d'hote menu with some interesting choices (albeit they seldom seem to change). Try a specials board guys! Good a la carte, too.
On our last trip the pinot grigio was not cold but, fair do's, they comped it. And I was served the wrong starter. Fortunately it was a cold dish or I might have been less forgiving.
It's a pleasant enough place to dine with a lot going for it. And I will eat there again without a doubt. With a bit of extra attention - particularly to service - it could be a truly great place!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Mostly good food however service needs improving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were the first in for lunch service on a Sunday so I (incorrectly!) expected reasonably quick service however I was wrong, although the service was courteous, everything took quite a long time to arrive.

There were 7 of us so we tried quite a lot of items from the set price menu (2 courses for £11.95).

The highlights of the starters were the ribs (very succulent meant and falling off the bone) and the mushroom and stilton bake (very generous portion of mushrooms and cheese, along with some bread for dipping in the sauce) with the low-light being the potato skins which generally lacked flavour and came with a disproportionately small amount of salsa.

Of the mains, the highlights would again be the ribs (very smokey flavour and falling off the bone) and the Rio Frio chicken (generous portion of chicken breast with patatas bravas pieces however could have been slightly more spicey) and the low-light being the masaman chicken curry which although presented nicely in a bowl with rice and flatbread, was far far too salty for general consumption!! I'm hoping it was a one-off error and not reflective of the curry normally.

We had several virgin pina colada's and a strawberries and cream mocktail, all of which went down very well and were reasonably priced.

Overall, although this was not a bad experience, I would not make the effort to come back again as the service was quite slow even though we were practically the only customers in there (and this seems to be a very common theme for this restaurant) and for the prices, I would have expected slightly more generous portions (or maybe smaller bowls?!) - also, I like my food piping hot which was also lacking - something i can forgive in a super-busy restaurant, but not at the start of the lunch service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“excellent ribs and nachos!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

we visited a saturday afternoon and had the set menu for 11.95. the ribs for the starter were plentiful and the nachos were amazing. we ordered a jambalaya and a wrap for main, my wrap was great but the jambalaya seemed like a tiny portion. it was however very tasty. when i rang up to book i was worried about the service as the guy on the phone lacked a little customer charm, but the staff were very attentive and helpful. i would recomend anyone to give it a try.