“Last resort venue” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #669 of 1,825 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At The Market Restaurant we place an accent on the quality of our ingredients rather than the length of our menu. All preparation of food and cooking is done here on the premises. We avoid convenience pre frozen, pre packed and synthetic products wherever we can and use fresh wholesome foods cooking them in ways that lose as little of their nutrients and flavour as is possible. Wherever possible we source our ingredients from local producers and suppliers. Some guests get it immediately, others unfortunately don't. Our reward is in those guests who recognise the results of our efforts and return again and again.
stockport
“Last resort venue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Booked for 4 people, rang early on the day of booking to ask if we could book special xmas menu . Yes that was fine and as there was only 4 we did not have to pre order food. On arriving they seemed confused re xmas menu , when suddenly a man from another table approached me and asked me to follow him - turns out he was owner . And in no uncertain terms told me we couldn't have xmas menu and I should have checked website . I confirmed his staff had agreed , so he honoured it but made it clear staff would be penalised. Not a good start to a festive night out.
We did have a lovely meal and staff were courteous and helpful, but had even to get approval of our final bill from owner who sat at a table all night ! We found this a bit intimidating. At end of evening I thanked him for lovely meal and staff were great , but it was a pity about in my opinion , of his intimidating presence - he then stood up said "get out" !! Which I duly did , thanking staff for nice evening . Will I return ??? NEVER ....

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Maybe I arrived too early”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I changed a 13:00 booking to 12:00 because my client's day had changed unexpectedly. We were a table of 3 and the only diners in the restaurant on arrival and remained so throughout the meal, so a lack of atmosphere (we'd expect that at 12:00 but nothing still at 13:00). We ordered steaks medium rare, which came out medium; however, the tenderness of the meat was exceptional so the lack of care with the cooking didn't spoil the meal. Food was about 7/10 (nothing to complain about, unless I wanted to make an issue of the lack of rare (which I didn't)). Rather inconveniently, their credit card machine couldn't obtain a signal, leaving me with an option to leave my credit card details with them so that they could put the transaction through later or go off and find money, so I opted for the latter. I expect all restaurants have mediocre days and I'm assuming that this was one of theirs. Given the massive choice of restaurants in the area I'd try something different next time.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“One of the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

With my wife we went to many "good" restaurants in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Eastbourne, Brighton,...but very honestly the Market Restaurant is one of the Best. The quality of the food and of the Chef is great. Don't drzam to go there to have a quick lunch or dinner. Quality means time, so better enjoy the time passing by and then the wine and the food. Just one word: enjoy!
Hope to see you there. Just ask if Frankie and Nathalie are there, as the Market Restaurant is the place we love to have dinner.

“Good food, nice little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We went in there driven from the other restaurants in the area many of which had turned into loud bars by 8 o'clock.
We had the rabbit terrine and duck egg starters and gnocchi for the main (unfortunately they had run out of the duck ravioli but we were there rather late). All dishes were very good and the portions generous.
It is not a cheap restaurant but we felt we got our moneys worth and had a nice quite meal with food that was interesting and flavorful.
The servers were all very young and the service could have been better (unfortunately they did not have a doggy bag for me to take the rest of my delicious gnocchi home) but they were nice so it mostly made up for it.
The decor is basic but somehow makes the dining experience better.

Visited November 2013
Manchester
“Bad food and bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Visited for a friends Birthday a few weeks ago. Very disappointed. There were 12 of us and it was a Sunday afternoon, with one or two other customers in. We were served by two pleasant but very inexperienced waiters who took forever just to serve our drinks! The food was amateur and basic and it seemed like the kitchen couldn't cope with such a large group of people to cook for. The most annoying part of our visit was the fact that the owner came in the restaurant, completely ignored us (a Happy Birthday for my friend would have been nice) and hid away in the corner behind his till. Very rude!
Even with the makeover this place has no atmosphere anymore. Owner and staff didn't look happy or as if they could be bothered to do their jobs, which is to provide a welcoming and friendly experience for their customers, especially if it is someones Birthday.
Such a shame, as it once was an excellent restaurant.

• Visited November 2013