“Not what we expected...” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the luxurious Cotswold House in the centre of Chipping Campden, The Cotswold Grill is the hub of the hotel, serving drinks and meals throughout the day. The more laidback sister of the elegant Dinning Room, The Cotswold Grill boasts the same kitchen team, under the expert guidance of Head Chef Dave Watts, winner of the Good Food Guide Chef to Watch Award. The Cotswold Grill has its own street entrance, an open fire and bar, and a separate area for private dining overlooking the stunning glass sculpture. The epicentre of The Cotswold Grills chic and contemporary decor is the sweeping bar, which is the perfect place to read the papers and enjoy a cocktail or coffee before sitting down for your meal.
Halfmoon Bay, Canada
“Not what we expected...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Our group of 6 booked the Grill because we wanted a basic good meal....nothing fancy. We had been travelling for over 3 weeks and were ready for some basic good cooking. It was a good thing that our expectations were low...because nothing measured up. Several of us ordered hamburgers....a basic grill item. One asked for medium and it came well done...the others asked for well done and one was...but the other was so rare that it had to be sent back twice. Needless to say this caused quite a wait. The others were all finished their meal while I waited and waited. Nothing changed when it came back each time. The last time I ate a couple of mouthfuls and then left it. Both the fish and chips and their special vegetarian squash were exceptional...but that was all. No one felt like dessert after all the fuss.
It seems that the waiters were just standing around most of the time and not attending to the customers that they had. And then we waited for the bill.....finally it came and it was more than expected for such a basic meal gone wrong!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

dorset
“Go elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Surly staff, we counted as many as customers. Order taken and we waited and waited..... feared the worse as the soup on the table next to us was sent back to the kitchen as it was only tepid and this took 20 minutes to return. No word of apology at the wait, no updates (there were 3 of us and we all ordered the same meal, slow roasted pork belly, so no extra complications for the kitchen), we waited and after almost an hour asked how much longer, just coming out, this equated to 10 minutes. Tiny portions and although the meat tender no crispy crackling, I asked could the chef do something with the rubbery top and told impossible to do! At home when I do this dish I place upside down in a hot pan and within a couple of minutes have crackling that crackles.

We ate all of the tiny portions except for the rubber top, which we mentioned to 2 members of staff but no apology. We were going to refuse to pay the service charge, which we heard the Americans discussing next to us, but for UK visitors it appears they don't levy this. Discrimination?

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
“A lovely evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Grill was fully booked for later dining and the more formal Dining Room next door fully booked all evening and so we opted for a 6.30. slot here at the Grill after having spent some time shopping and strolling around the lovely Chipping Campden. We were greeted by a very friendly face,were shown to our table,ordered our drinks and perused the menu. The Grill has a modern brasserie feel to it and is very tastefully decorated with a relaxing and casual ambience. We ordered warm breads with olives to start,the breads were absolutely delicious. We'de had rather a large late lunch earlier un the day so this to start was ideal. My main course was a delicious pithivier of roast butternut squash and goats cheese with a fresh green salad,my husband opted for the lamb and mint burger with real chips and various pickles,which he really enjoyed. I managed to find room for dessert,this was a heavenly summer pudding packed with fruit and a lovely chantilly cream on the side. A lovely meal with very good service from a very friendly gentleman who very happily conversed with my husband about football !!! After our meal we had a nice stroll around the beautiful gardens at the back of the hotel. We would definately return to the Cotswold House hotel,to book a room here and to try their Dining Room Restaurant next time.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Midlands
“I expected more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I recently visited here with a friend who drove all the way up from Bristol to meet me for lunch. I chose the grill as I thought it would be a special treat.

While the service was very good, the food was disappointing.

We shared a baked camembert for starter, but had to send it back as only the very top was melted and the rest was solid. This I could have let go, but when my steak arrived being barely pink after I had asked for my steak medium rare and specifically said I preferred it on the rare side it became clear this place clearly wasn't as good as it makes out to be. The waiter did ask how the steak was and I told him it was over done, but I didn't to return it (I normally do) as I didn't want to sit and watch my friend eat her meal while I waited.

I realise that sometimes a chef has an off day, but the place was quiet so wonder what the food's like when it's busy.

I expect more when the bill came to almost £80 for just the two of us and we didn't have dessert. We were not offered any kind of discount for the disappointing food.

I won't be returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sharnbrook, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I chose the beer battered fish and chips which was a good size, well cooked and the fish was cooked to perfection. I followed this with summer fruit pudding and felt amply sufficed!

Visited August 2013