“Lovely evening” 4 of 5 stars

01386 840330
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dining Room at Cotswold House Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Dave Watts, our Head chef has a simple philosophy - that great food should be seasonal, sustainable and responsible. Winner of The Good Food Guide 2013 Chef to Watch award. Having trained under Raymond Blanc and Gary Jones at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons he believes that if you start with the best possible ingredients, you can't go far wrong. His style is modern British and what he calls rustic but neat - natural shapes and textures, and nothing too complicated; each plate, each course, offers a new experience. You won’t find pretentious service just great attention to detail and sublime food – in refined and dignified surroundings with dreamy views down the garden path. The restaurant is open each night from Tuesday until Saturday from 7 until 9.30pm.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had their 6 course menu for £55, which was very, very good albeit tiny, tiny portions my husband had to ask for another potato which when it arrived was about the size of a 50 p piece. Stock up on the bread rolls if you have a big appetite, but really you cannot fault the quality of the food. Overall expensive if you add in wine, the total bill was £170 for two. Lovely environment, it felt special, super high ceilings and trendy decor. Service a little cold, apart from blonde waitress who was charming!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
Chipping Campden, England, United Kingdom
“Cotswold House Race Night & Curry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a brilliant night's entertainment and a fantastic curry - the added bonus was that Paul & Carol made sure it was a very welcoming, inclusive and friendly evening for the locals and the visitors.

Even though the price was very reasonable we didn't feel that they had compromised on quality at all and like many other people there that night I thought it was great to go out and do something different from the norm - right on our doorsteps. We are overwhelmed with choice in Chipping Campden for places to go and eat and drink in, but we are very short on entertainment and fun. The race night provided all of that and more.

So thanks to Paul & Carol at the Cotswold - keep up the good work because all your efforts are creating a great buzz around the town and we will keep spreading the word.

long compton warwickshire
“Poor lunch at the cotswold Grill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Four of us met for our annual Christmas lunch at the Cotswold Grill. We were looking forward to a good chat and a nice meal. Sadly the meal was really really poor. There were only three other tables in the grill so they had plenty of time to get our food right. However - the fish cakes were non existent balls of deepfried crumb on an under-seasoned and undressed salad. The bavette steaks were ok but cold and lacked any seasoning, the vegetables and potatoes were poor and lack lustre but the bearnaise sauce was beyond belief in an establishment of this kind. It was some absolutely revolting concoction out of a bottle wth a few herbs on top. When we enquired about it we were told it was definitely bearnaise and we did not know, despite our disclosing that one of our husbands had been a chef. All in all it was a despressing experience. The decor was not inspiring, the staff seemed to have had no training and the whole place seemed cold and uninviting including the foyer of the hotel. Very sad that it has gone down hill so much as we remember it in its glory days.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Paul D, General Manager at The Dining Room at Cotswold House Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, what a shame everything was not quite perfect for you, I can assure you that your comments have been taken seriously and we will immediately improve, I don’t seem able to find in your past reviews and reviews relating to the “glory days”, it is a shame when people use trip advisor to post negatives but don’t seem to find the time to leave reviews of previous good experiences, however we do take your comments on the chin and will investigate.

The Cotswold House & Noel Arms hotels
London
“Fantastic food, The Dining Room is punching above its weight (and price)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I visited the Cotswold House Hotel for a quick break before xmas. I chose it primarily because I had heard good things about the chef/restaurant and wanted to give it a try. We had a bit of a bad start at the hotel because the heating wasn't working in our room but they quickly moved us to another room - and as a bonus it was a huge suite - so we were back on track.

On to dinner. It was a quiet Wednesday night with only 4 or 5 tables full. The staff seemed a little formal to start but lightened up a bit as the night went on. The restaurant itself is very relaxing, a good mix of formal, but not too formal. Since there weren't many diners I was worried they would pace the food to fast, but they got it spot on - we didn't feel rushed. I think the menu probably changes quite frequently and it was one of those nights where I was going to struggle to pick something as everything looked so good. To start we had pumpkin soup with ricotta croquettes and roasted scallops with wild mushroom and barley. All cooked and seasoned perfectly. For mains we had venison (pretty sure it was cooked sous vide) with chicory and chestnuts and Brill with winter truffle and barley. The fish and venison were extremely high quality and again everything was cooked to perfection. A couple of individual elements were ever so slightly over-seasoned, but it didn't really distract from the overall enjoyment. For puds, I had a poached pear with cranberry and marscapone - perfect. My wife fancied cheese but they didn't have any soft cheese (like a Brie, her favourite) on the menu. She asked the waiter and he said that he could rustle up a local soft cheese, which ended up being fantastic.

Overall, my wife and I really loved this restaurant. I had pretty high expectations and they didn't disappoint. A really enjoyable, relaxed evening with extremely good food and wine - and truly amazing value at £35 for 3 courses (plus an amuse).

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul D, General Manager at The Dining Room at Cotswold House Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review, our Head Chef Brett is delighted you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, please do contact me personally to arrange your next booking and as there was an issue with the heating if at all possible I will arrange a room upgrade with my compliments.

The Cotswold House and Noel Arms Hotels
murcot
“Relaxed atmosphere, wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We visited Cotswold House for a birthday celebration. Champagne on arrival. The most amazing selection of appetisers with fabulous flatbreads, olives, and some fishy things (my husband thought they were wonderful - and although we asked what they were, I can't for the life of me remember now!) Beautifully cooked and presented food, served by friendly and attentive (but not overly so) staff. I can understand why the chef has been chosen as the one to watch in 2013 - from starter to pudding, everying was thoroughly satisfying to the eye and the palate.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul D, General Manager at The Dining Room at Cotswold House Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
What a lovely review thank you for taking the time to leave such kind comments we do appreciate it,
Paul Dixon
(The Cotswold House and Noel Arms)