“Nice Hotel In A Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cotswold House Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Cotswold House Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Square | High Street, Chipping Campden GL55 6AN, England   |
Worcestershire
“Nice Hotel In A Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at The Cotswold House on Friday night of the Bank holiday weekend. Because I can't give it 3.5 stars, I'm giving it 4. Check in was easy and our room was ready at 2pm instead of 3pm, this was a good start as we had the Hindlip Suite with its own private garden and hot-tub. It is a very nice room but even with the aforementioned hot-tub and private garden I'm not sure it's worth £450 for the night. The carpet and arm chairs are a little tired and the bathroom is pretty bog standard. Having said that though the garden is absolutely lovely and we spent a very relaxing afternoon in it. We had booked through Mr & Mrs Smith and the promised bottle of complimentary champagne wasn't in the room, we had to call reception and ask for it, not a problem but a bit of a niggle when you're paying a lot of money.

We ate in The Grill and we found the food really nice and the service, especially from a young blonde lady, very friendly and helpful. We didn't leave a tip though as gratuity was added to the bill. Breakfast the next morning wasn't bad either, just a few observations, 'specialty' coffees were extra!? The pastries, fruit, cereals etc. supplied weren't especially generous. And the one thing I bloody hate, is wait staff clearing the tables next to us whilst we're still at breakfast, especially spraying the tables!! I appreciate they want to clear and start getting ready for lunch but spraying cleaner right next to our food is a bit rude.

On checking out the deposit we had paid wasn't deducted from the bill, I didn't say anything at the time as other guests were checking out as well and I felt a little embarrassed asking (silly I know) but I believe the error is being rectified.

All in all, nice but not perfect. I think a bit more attention to detail is required. Chipping Campden is gorgeous though and if you stay at the hotel you are in a perfect location for explore the village.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul D, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, please do let me answer a couple of your niggles, the champagne is not left in the room unless we have a good idea of the time a guest is checking in or the ice bucket would melt and the champagne become warm, regarding the breakfast tables, the staff are not getting ready for lunch but are I am afraid getting ready for other guests breakfast, it is unfortunate but the vast majority of hotels have more bedrooms than they do tables so unfortunately a table has to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized quickly to enable other guests arriving later for breakfast to be accommodated, hopefully this explanation will help we all have “pet hates” and little things that annoy us, I can assure you staff would love to not have to quickly reset tables it is unfortunately common place and unavoidable in many many hotels, that said there are parts of your review we can act on and will immediately do so, I am convinced we can immediately act on some of your other points, thank you for leaving us a 4 star review we genuinely do appreciate it and we absolutely do act on feedback given. we do look forward to welcoming you back please do call us direct for the best possible rate.
NOTE TO OTHER TRIP ADVISOR READERS/ POTENTIAL FUTURE GUESTS, should you require Spa Treatments the spa does get booked up well in advance so to make the most of your stay do ask about the spa when calling to book your room.

545 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed for our wedding anniversary,we wanted to relax and enjoy a weekend in the Cotswolds.we certainly did this,Our room overlooked the garden and was in the main house it was spotlessly clean with a lovely bathroom and a really comfortable bed.
My wife enjoyed a spa treatment,and said it was one of the best treatments ever.we ate in the grill on the first night which was excellent,and the taster menu on Saturday in the restaurant was also very very good.Breakfast was good and the staff were very attentive.
If you want a normal twenty four seven yes sir no sir hotel then this is not the place to stay.If you want to check out on a Sunday feeling totally relaxed,a little bit special and with a feeling that you really want to come back,then this is the place to stay,we really loved this well run friendly hotel in a charming setting.
Well done to all and thank you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Superb!! well we can’t ask for much better than that! Thank you so much for your very kind review, we are delighted you had such a wonderful stay. we do look forward to welcoming you back please do call us direct for the best possible rate.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The bedroom was cramped and tired and in need of a complete overhaul . The staff were lukewarm at best.

We had dinner here over the bank holiday weekend and were very much looking forward to dining in the brasserie.
When we arrived the little touches one would expect from a 5 star hotel were sadly lacking, I.e no candles, no music, strong over lighting.
We ordered a jug of water three times before we could get it. The chicken Caesar salad came without the chicken! and took fifteen minutes to replenish with chicken. The main course was disappointing and very overpriced for the tiny morsel of steak that was provided.

All this whilst our neighbouring diners three times politely requested the bread they had ordered, then their mains arrived minus half the chips which fell on the floor . It gets worse....then the poor lady cut open her chicken and remarked to us things were not going too well for them either as the chicken minus the floor chips was red raw.

No real staff concern when I pointed out the dining experience was not as anticipated.

In summary this is a reasonable three star experience, over priced and mis managed.

Unfortunately we will not be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it is such a shame that your opinion of us has been clouded by you forming an inaccurate opinion of us before you arrived?, you appear in your review to review us by bench marking us against a 5 star perception, we are in fact a 4 star establishment, while I absolutely take your comments on board and do appreciate that there are many things we can learn from and improve on , I cannot help but feel your review and opinion might not have been quite so bad had you not been comparing us to the 5 star property you were obviously expecting, we strive to offer impeccable 4star food service and surroundings and are genuinely sorry you did not have a wonderful experience. I do hope you will consider staying with us again do call us direct for the best possible rate.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed on a 1 night Spa package. The hotel is in the heart of Chipping Campden which is a pretty honey-coloured Cotswold town in a beautiful rural location. Apparently the house has overlooked the Market Square for over 200 years. It has lovely traditional Regency architecture - it's Grade II listed - but luxurious contemporary design inside. It has two acres of wonderfully tranquil landscaped townhouse gardens which I thought were really beautiful and also included contemporary features like bold planters and sculptures.

I spent the morning in the Spa - got to be honest - I thought it was OK but not great. It's set in a converted coach house in the gardens. For me the pool was disappointing - it's just a hydrotherapy pool and not a swimming pool - it's kind of odd shaped with a few jets. There is also an aromatic steam room which was nice and some loungers dotted around where it was nice to sit and read. The 2 treatments I chose - a massage and facial - were very good. They use La Sultane de Saba Spa products and there was a nice touch with a sorbet in the relaxation suite afterwards.

My lunch was in the Dining Room which was very refined and dignified and I was seated with a wonderful view down the garden path. The food was great - according to the blurb their Head Chef has a simple philosophy - that the food should be seasonal, sustainable and responsible - his style is modern British and what he calls rustic but neat - natural shapes and textures, and nothing too complicated. I would certainly agree with all that; each plate was sublime! But I must also mention the staff, who were there to chat if required or otherwise blended subtly into the background.

When it came to checking in I was upgraded to a suite which was large & comfortable with beautiful glassware and subtle lighting, and some wonderful gadgets - there was even a tv to watch as you relaxed in the bath!! However although the room was nice and quiet and had a gas fire, it felt quite cold to me. But the bathroom had underfloor heating and was lovely and warm.

The next morning Full English breakfast was in the Cotswold Grill - it has a relaxed, contemporary design, and again the food was served with great courtesy.

None of the tiny niggles have stopped me giving a five star excellent rating and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for leaving a review, we are all delighted you had a wonderful stay, it is a shame you found the pool disappointing we are very careful on all our literature and websites to make sure it is absolutely clear we have a hydrotherapy pool not a swimming pool as this ensures guests are fully aware prior to booking , it would thought appear you had a lovely stay and we would be delighted to have you return to us again soon, we do look forward to welcoming you back please do call us direct for the best possible rate.

Bucks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited the hotel this weekend.
Wonderful location in fabulous Cotswold town. We both had treatments in the Spa which were excellent- thank you Tiffany. (Why are there towels hanging in one window instead of a blind/ curtains. It looks shabby! )Relaxed poolside after treatments then booked into the superior room we had booked. The spiral staircase up to our room is beautiful. Overall immediate impression of the hotel was that it was being renovated as the paintwork looked rather patchy as if work was halfway through. The bedroom was ok. The blind at the bathroom window really was a messy thing.
When we came to have showers there was no hot water. I called reception who seemed surprised but thought it might have been a supply/ demand situation ( what- in a Hotel for goodness sake!!!!!) and suggested that we try again in ten minutes. Still no hot water, but reception called to say there had been a fault which was being fixed. Still no hot water some time after this. We went to dinner, good bed and slept soundly. In the morning we received a note from the Manager apologizing for the water situation and offering us a reduction in our bill. Still no hot water. We spoke to Manager who once again apologiised but we said we would book out if this couldn't be resolved. We were then moved to a suite for our last night.
This was indeed very nice.
I do feel that certain things in the hotel do need to be addressed. For example, no belt hooks on the robes, just tatters of fabric, brown rims around the basin plug hole, build up of limescale around taps , toilet roll holders lose, mirrors wobbly. These may sound petty, but it's the little things that change a good hotel to a great one, which this hotel is aspires to be.
Overall, the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and polite which was a lovely change from being greeted by surly faces.
I appreciate that things do unexpectedly happen particularly with plumbing and the Manager did do all he could to resolve the situation.

• Stayed April 2013
Paul D, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank You so much for your comments, unfortunately prior to your appointment a small accident happened in the treatment room and the window was chipped, this caused a very small draught, the quick thinking therapist did put a towel in the window to cover the draught, this has obviously now been repaired, I will personally look at all your positive and negative comments and will wherever possible take measures to ensure your next visit to us is perfect, (new robes have already been ordered, so I hope you do see that we act on comments) we do look forward to welcoming you back please do call us direct for the best possible rate.

New Milton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I revisited the Cotswold House Hotel after using the spa facilities as part of my Hen weekend with my friends. We really enjoyed the treatments and thought the staff were both professional and friendly. I decided to return with my Mum as I thought she deserved some pampering too, but this time we stayed the night.... WOW! I stay in hotels all over the world as part of my job & have done so for the last 16 years. I was totally impressed with the personal touches that all the staff gave. It has such a feeling of a "Boutique Hotel" with their one to one service and cannot recommend this hotel enough... you MUST use the spa facilities too...very relaxing!

Room Tip: Despite Chipping Campden being a quiet village, the rooms overlooking the gardens are lovely & q...