“Not the Hotel it was!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cotswold House Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Cotswold House Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Square | High Street, Chipping Campden GL55 6AN, England   |
“Not the Hotel it was!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights at this hotel feeling disappointed. We stayed there a few years ago and had lovely time, the same cannot be said about our recent visit.

We booked two rooms and my wife's parents stayed in one of the garden rooms and was fine although a little tired. We however were placed in room 24. I accept it was a standard room but it was "well worn" to say the least. Drab decoration and a tired carpet. Many light bulbs not working and it took 2 requests to get this fixed. The shower head was broken making it very difficult, almost impossible to shower properly and despite asking 3 times this was not resolved. There were water stains on the bedroom ceiling from a previous leak and the bath rusty. The noise from adjoining bathrooms was completely unacceptable for a hotel for this supposed quality.

I also requested that the bill for my wife's room was handed to me as it was a treat for them. This was not done and was pushed under their door.

The management at the hotel is aware of my comments but I got the impression they could not care. Nobody seemed concerned about my views or even took much interest.

On the 2nd evening we tried to have a drink in the bar but gave up as there was no one to serve us, we went to a lovely local pub instead.

We left with the impression that the hotel is now "down at heel" much general maintenance is needed and it is trading on its past very good reputation. I'm surprised it still carries some of hotel "brand" groups it still does. We have stayed at a number of Mr& Mrs Smith and SLH hotels and Cotswold House does not presently appear to be of the same quality.

It is a shame as Chipping Campden is a lovely place and the autumn weather was very kind so we had a good few days.

My advice is to look elsewhere for a hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Paul D, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review obviously your comments are disappointing, I can assure you we will action your points wherever possible, I can assure you we do care.
General manager
Cotswold House & Noel Arms Hotels

547 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a package deal for our anniversary. It is a lovely hotel but I would say the room cwas omfortable and was pretty standard I would not describe it as luxourious. Our room faced the kitchens and we had the extractor fans on all night and at one point someone walked across the roof whilst we were in the bathroom and with a skylight you could see in! That said, the staff were great and the food was good and we really enjoyed our spa treatments. The bar and reception areas were comfortable with an open fire. We did have an issue with the electricity in our room and as a result they knocked £50.00 off the bill without us even asking which was very generous. There was an issue with our final bill as we had been on a package yet the bill came with charges for our meals! It was no surprise to us as when we were served the staff were asking names not room numbers so they were bound to get it wrong as there was another couple there with the same surname as ours! I would put this down to a one off except there were two other people at reception who also had incorrect bills. However, we then had some more knocked off our bill for the inconvenience so our extra's bill came to a princely £7.65! We refused to pay the service charge as we considered it part of the package deal - it was optional so no-one should have felt obliged to pay this. Overall we really enjoyed our stay but the hotel needs to work a bit harder to keep its reputation - parts of the decor were old and the back staircase was loose - could be dangerous. Great location but pay for an upgrade to get the luxury this hotel promises. We would go back again.

Room Tip: pay the difference for an upgrade or ask for a standard room with a view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we are delighted that on the whole you enjoyed the experience and would revisit, there are obviously a few areas we need to re train on and I can assure you we will be looking closely at this, if you would like a little extra luxury do chose one of our hot tub suites next time these offer you your own small private garden and your own hot tub!.

General manager
Cotswold House & Noel Arms Hotels
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I booked a top to toe package as a treat for myself, and was most impressed with this hotel in a lovely village. I could not get access to my room before my spa treatments, but my bag was stored. Had lunch in The Grill, good steak & chips,then went off to the spa. Good massage, on a strange waterbed treatment table, followed by a facial, therapist was excellent and relaxing round the pool was great. After my pampering afternoon, a perfect cream tea in front of the open fire. My bag was waiting for me in the good sized room, plenty of space to relax & bathroom had separate shower & bath - Ren toiletries was a nice touch, as was fresh milk & homebaked shortbread. coffee was very weak - you need more than one of the sachets to make something reasonable. Lovely freshly cooked breakfast before departing. I would recommend this hotel. the staff were all most helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: No lift, so if you have a problem with stairs tell them when you book. Staff were happy to deliver...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Paul D, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Congratulations on booking the top to toe! It’s one of the best packages we have, we are delighted you like the little touches such as the home-made cookies and REN toiletries (expensive but worth it!) regarding the coffee we are just this week about to move to a new supplier and the new coffee is a little stronger so on your next visit hopefully you will love the coffee.
We look forward to welcoming you back, don’t forget the best price is always to be had by calling us direct.

General Manager Cotswold House & Noel Arms Hotels
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My partner and I visited Cotswold House a few weeks ago. It was our first time in the Cotswolds and I suggested we stay here after reading reviews and recommendation from Mr and Mrs Smith. Unfortunately many things let the hotel down.
Firstly when we booked the hotel we were asked if it was a special occasion and my partner told them it was his birthday. However nothing was done to acknowledge this so we were left wondering why they asked?
On arrival we were not greeted at reception - it took a member of staff to be prompted before we were seen. Our room was not ready as check in is 3 p.m. which is quite late. Point to note there is no lift in this hotel.
Our room had no dressing gowns and we had to ask for them, we had pieces missing from games provided and had multiple light bulbs out which left the room quite dark when getting ready in the evening.
The room itself was very bland in colour for quite a big room. The bath was very small and products not replenished. Our bed was not a queen but were 2 beds pushed together which was quite uncomfortable. However, the view from the room was very nice.
Breakfast in our room on the first morning was lovely. The second morning we had breakfast in the grill. You help yourself to juices, fruit and cereal however we were left with the last bits. Juices etc were not topped up for guests arriving later in the breakfast session.
We both ordered a cooked breakfast but the hash browns were stone cold. When we told the waitress she asked us to give the hash browns back and she would get the chef to cook some more. She should have offered to take the plate and provide a new breakfast as by the time the hash browns arrived we had eaten.
One member of staff who we saw in the bar the evening before and also serving breakfast was particularly scruffy. He had his shirt un-tucked when serving bar guests and at breakfast he had a filthy suit on with stains all down one side.
On a positive note the dining room food and service was excellent. The bar had a nice atmosphere and in particular the bar man Idan provided a great service and was very friendly. When he poured our champagne it was flat and he quickly rectified this as clearly the bottles had not been checked from the last member of staff on bar duty.
The spa was very good, clean, relaxing and professional staff.
The location is good within Chipping Campden but there is not a lot to do within the village itself if you are staying for more than one night. Burford was a 20 min drive away and offered a lot more by way of shops and restaurants.
Lastly we did not mention these points when we checked out as we were not asked whether we enjoyed our stay or if we were happy with the service.

Room Tip: If you have trouble getting up the spiral staircase you would need a ground room or cottage as there...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul D, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
What a shame, your experience was not perfect please do accept our apologies and rest assured we will wherever possible act on the negatives you mentioned, there are many positives in your review and we do thank you for taking the time to leave all comments
We look forward to welcoming you back, don’t forget the best rates are always to be had by calling us direct
Paul Dixon General Manager
Cotswold House and Noel Arms Hotel
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife booked this hotel and the "food lovers" package for our wedding anniversary as a surprise for me. We stayed two nights in the main part of the hotel with a fantastic view over the rear of the hotel which looks over the garden. We made use of the spa facilities and both had a massage. My wife said it was one of the best massages she has had. Apologies but we can't remember the name of the lady my wife had but she was Bulgarian. The pool is not the biggest but is big enough to relax in and afterwards sit around the pool side on the loungers. All very clean and the staff very helpful.

As we were using the food package we made use of both the fine dinning restaurant and the grill. The fine dinning restaurant was a great experience. The menu is not what I would call a conventional one as there were no defined starters, main, dessert but instead you could choose for example 4 courses to be made up of which ever items on the menu, for example if you wanted 1 fish dish and 3 desserts you could. I was impressed by this as I'd not seen this before. The food was great and the service from the young lad (again sorry I didn't catch his name) who was serving us was very knowledgeable about the food, how it was cooked and made us feel very comfortable. He is a credit to the restaurant.

We visited the grill restaurant on the saturday night and again we were very impressed with the quality of the food. The steak my wife and I had was beautiful. Very nice evening. One thing I do want to add is that I was surprised that we had to pay a service charge for both meals. I understand the reason for this but as we had already paid for the food package I was surprised to see that we paid a service charge for both meals. I believe we had a service charge for drinks in the bar as well. This can all add to the price of the stay so is something to note.

Lastly on the food subject; the breakfast. Both days the breakfast was of a very high standard. The hot food is cooked to order and therefore tasted very fresh, not like it was sat around on a hot buffet. The continental items were self service and I have to say that the home made granola was excellent. I'd love to learn how to make that myself... very nice.

The hotel room we had was very clean and had a huge bed. There is tea and coffee facilities in the room and fresh milk which is kept in the fridge in the room. Much better than having those little UHT packets like in most hotels. The room contained everything you needed. There is no lift in the hotel so if you do have walking difficulties I would mention this when booking.

There is plenty of parking at the rear of the hotel and if not there is parking available in the road at the rear of the hotel as well.

One of the smells I remember was the open fire in the hotel bar and reception area. This was a lovely homely smell to wake up to in the morning.

We had a lovely stay at the Cotswold house hotel this weekend and would recommend anyone to give the place a try, you won't be disappointed. The village is a beautiful setting with lots of little tea shops and is a pleasant place to walk around.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a lovely stay here for the weekend - the room in the garden was fantastic especially as we had our dog with us - aside from being insanely hot - radiators working overtime - the room itself was spacious and very comfortable. The gardens and spa in the hotel are lovely - my wife had a few treatments and said both the massage and facials were excellent - i have to say the dinner in the main restaurant was wonderful - Dave Watts the chef will for sure become a big name in the UK - the wine was also very well priced at the top end, I agree with previous reviews that despite being relaxed, the reception service seemed a tad chaotic at busy periods - check in/check out - but whats the rush - i would strongly this hotel for a couple and their dog to get away, relax, get some air and dine well...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review we do appreciate it, we will look closely at our reception training and see if we can make improvements, it is wonderful that the rest of your stay was FAB, the hotel has two dog friendly rooms so is ideal for four legged friends !
Paul Dixon General Manager
Cotswold House and Noel Arms Hotel
Yorton, shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Some friends decided to have their wedding here. Great idea! Everything was excellent although the room was not ready on arrival and we were therefore rushed. The food was great although the breakfast eggs were unusual...
Bar prices were a bit steep . All in all a lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Paul D, General Manager at Cotswold House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, occasionally we are not always able to have rooms ready early for a wedding party (we are ready for our usual 3.pm check in) and do try to get rooms ready early but this is not always possible, when we do have rooms ready early for wedding guests we prioritise key family such as parents of bride and groom / bridesmaids etc. Please accept our apologies that your room was not ready and thank you so much for giving us 5 out of 5 even though we did not quite get everything perfect for you, we genuinely appreciate the 5 star review!

Paul Dixon
(Cotswold House and Noel Arms)

Been to Cotswold House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!