“A very special place, don't tell a soul!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Charingworth Manor to your Saves list
Charingworth Manor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Charingworth, Chipping Campden GL55 6NS, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“A very special place, don't tell a soul!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I chose this hotel after reading the reviews on this site for a short break for our 21st wedding anniversary. The staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. We were upgraded (result!) and stayed in Stratford. The room was spacious, the bedding and towels exceptionally clean. The dressing gowns: so heavy I could hardly wear mine. The added bonus of the little terrace was lovely: we enjoyed a few cups of coffee out there and basked in the silence of the beautiful countryside if not the sunshine.

However, there were just a few things which could have been better. The cleaning wasn't as top notch as one would expect and I could have done it better myself. There was mould round the bath and a used tissue (covered in lipstick) on top of the bathroom radiator. On retrieval of this item I couldn't help but notice a fine collection of dust behind the radiator. Good job it wouldn't turn on then, I am highly allergic to dust mites. The cold tap on the sink drips, leaving a muddy stain. This is a bit freaky: we had to fill the kettle from this :p The loo wasn't as clean as I would have cleaned it. Just a bit under par for the reputation of the hotel. It's got to be better if you want to keep charging these prices.

The trays holding the tea / coffee / sugar etc hadn't been wiped off in a very long time and we didn't have a tea spoon. Fortunately I had one in my handbag (well, I am a Brownie leader!). One sachet of hot chocolate for a three night stay for two was a bit stingy too.

There was quite a lot of dust on skirting boards and other surfaces and blood on the bed throw. The hotel inspector would have been deeply unimpressed, given the price charged for the room.

That said, we had a fabulous weekend: the pool was lovely and we had it entirely to ourselves - a rare treat. The restaurant is a little poky but service is good and you're not in there for too long.

Funny thing though: my husband ordered kippers and when the dish arrived it was one boil-in-the-bag kipper. Nothing else. Just this one tiny fish on a plate. The word kippers implies two surely and this for a £3.50 surcharge? Total madness. I cater for pack holidays and one kipper is much cheaper than a sausage, bacon, egg, hash brown, tomato, croissants, cereal and fruit. This policy needs looking at - at very least your menu is in breach of trading standards.

Go, if you can afford it, this is a very special, magical place, we absolutely fell in love with it and will be back - if they can get their cleaners to do the job properly. Breath in the view, enjoy the historic surroundings, you will love it. Mind the dress code.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor and for you kind comments about the staff.

I will pass these on to the team here, I’m sorry the housekeeping in your room fell a little short and will address these issues with the Head Housekeeper.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back and if i can help with any future reservation please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Michael David Eastick

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The food and service are excellent and the staff were absolutely charming, however, over hearing the General Manager speaking to some of his staff suggests that his team management skills need some fine tuning. Don't argue/remonstrate with staff in front of customers, its neither professional or clever and marred what was otherwise a lovely evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
charingworth, Front Office Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guests

The general manager is away at present, I will of course pass your comments on to him, I’m sorry this did spoil your stay with us, but I will pass on your positive comments to the rest of the staff here at Charingworth.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in anyway

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went with friends and could not have had a better time , all the staff was so very friendly , we had been upgraded to a four poster bed , the food was wonderful and we all felt thoroughly spoilt , one of the nicest hotels we have been to for a long time , well done to all the team

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guests

Thank you for your for your comments, I’m glad you enjoyed your break and had pleasant stay with us. I will pass these on to the team here at the hotel

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help in anyway

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

A one night offer with dinner B&B - an excellent characterful bedroom and spacious bathroom - provided the comfort and sustenance needed after a hectic day at the Malvern Flower Show. An early morning swim and an excellent breakfast set us up for a day at Wychford pottery and Hidcote Manor - both within easy reach of Charingworth.
The staff were friendly and caring, the manager a delight to chat with and all the facilities of a high standard.
Was there anything that could have been improved ?- I can't think of anything right now.

Dear Guests

Thank you for your for your comments and taking the time to put these on trip advisor.
I’m glad you enjoyed your break and had pleasant stay with us.

Barnetby le Wold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This spectacularly located hotel looks the business and pretty much delivers. The setting is gorgeous, the buildings and gardens superb. The rooms are superbly done - ours had been freshly decorated and was excellent. The staff all seemed very helpful, positive and polite.

The communal areas are a wee bit cramped and I suspect its a bit crowded when busy. The bar being one of the smallest I have ever seen in such a decent hotel.

The leisure club was quite nice though some tlc is needed to bring it back to the standard it should be for this quality of hotel.

Its hard to find anything to criticise to be frank - maybe hot plates for the english breakfast?

Overall well pleased with this place for a nice weekend break - expensive, but very nice.

Room Tip: Get the room with a garden - e.g. the Worcester Room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests

I do agree the bar is cosy but we do have two other lounges were guests can relax and hopefully at some point this year guests will be able to see the sun on our terrace seating

bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Having travelled with friends for a one night break at this Hotel, we were more than delighted when we arrived and found that we had been upgraded to the 4 poster bedrooms. We hadn't arranged for this or even asked but it was so nice to have received this. Our receptionist was very charming and attended our needs with a smile on her face.
What a beautiful location,view spectacular, lovely gardens to sit out in (had it been warm enough). The rooms were gorgeous and beds so sumptuous. Even the toiletries were L'Occitane so no expense spared. Visiting the bar and undecided about what wine to choose, our barman offered us to sample each bottle until we made our choice. Thomas helped us with our food choices and knew exactly what each dish consisted of and his recommendations were delicious.

~we used the spa facilities which were lovely. Everything was so clean and tidy with plenty of fresh towels to use. It wasnt overcrowded so plenty of room to swim the length of the pool in peace.

I cannot fault this hotel, the staff, the food and the location. Although on the highend price wise, if you can get an offer then do consider it. You won't be disappointed.

Dear Guests

Thank you for your for your kind comments, we do have a lovely team here at Charingworth and i will share your comments with them.

Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Party of 6 visited the restaurant at this lovely manor. We ate off the "light lunch" menu ranging in price from £5 to £20 . Excellent value for money. Food was excellent, very well presented and a good selection although only one starter was available.
Childrens menu was available but I had to go hunting for a waitress to find me one! Again, good selection and well presented - definately NOT prossesed junk!
We were left unattended for some time before our oder was taken but other than that, the service was excellent too.
My mother-in-law was so impressed she wnted to book a holiday there,(they were visiting us) but was unable to find a hotel brochure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests

Thank you for your for taking the time to add a review on trip advisor, I will share your comments with the restaurant and kitchen team

Reception Manager

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!