“Lovely getaway weekend” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Charingworth, Chipping Campden GL55 6NS, England   |
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Lovely getaway weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My friends and I had a lovely weekend at this beautiful country house hotel; the staff were pleasant and efficient and the food and surroundings excellent. One minor quibble - it's an old rambling building and the room names, rather than numbers, and rather under-stated signage made navigation a little tricky for the first day! We used the pool and steam room and enjoyed both.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
charingworth, General Manager at Charingworth Manor, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help with any future reservations.

Michael David Eastick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at Charingworth Manor in October 2012 to escape a busy, task driven, noisy life and to find our peaceful haven for 48 hours. The Manor was ideal for this.

The Manor is set at the top of a hill, remote and silent. Animals grazing around, no traffic, not a single phone beeped or rang while we were there and the staff were present but quietly aside. We arrived early and our cases were looked after as we ate lunch and then were moved for us into our room. We stayed in a suite which was a bathroom, lounge and bedroom of average size and in good clean condition. A bed with six pillows was a first (but two single beds together rather than a luxurious double).

The food at all meals was excellent but with little variation in terms of offering. We were disappointed that there was no draft beer or lager (bottles only) and the bar area was functional rather than large enough to be comfortable. We were not able to have a drink in the bar pre-meal as six people were already there and it was full. Seriously. It is no major issue but it gives you an idea of the scale of the venue. There is a drawing room and a second comfortable seating area which can also be used. The restaurant is a long thin corridor style room.

Overall, the Manor is lovely and highly recommended for a quiet remote retreat. Expect quaint and small and consider a suite so that you have your own space.

The final word. Charingworth Manor is a beautiful 1,000 piece jigsaw with a few edge pieces missing. The lack of draught beer, the flickering phone in the bedroom at night, the extremely bright LED on the radio in the room, the lack of wi-fi in the bedrooms, one TV in our room not working. These are all minor things but they create an unfinished jigsaw which would otherwise be a masterpiece.

Room Tip: Book a suite for your own space.
Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad on the whole you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

We have on several occasions tried to stock and sell draught ales and larger, but due to the low demand it has not been viable, I’m at a loss to know which room you were in as all our televisions are in working order, but I apologise this was not the case during your stay.

We have a number of WIFI signals and boosters in the hotel, of course with walls of up to 4 feet in some areas there are black spots, but again I apologise as this signal normally is and should be available in all bedrooms.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I got married at Charingworth Manor at the end of September, and it was the most wonderful day. The staff are all extremely helpful, both in making the arrangements and on the day. They cater for every need and set the reception room up perfectly.
The food is excellent and all our guests commented on how good it was, and service was very relaxed and unobtrusive.
We stayed in the Ebrington Suite for the night and it is a gorgeous room, and allowed us to relax in comfort after out exciting day.
We cannot thank all the staff enough for their help and for being so friendly, they made it a wedding day to remember.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear newlyweds

Thank you for your kind comments, we are glad you enjoyed your wedding day with us, we do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help.

Kind regards

Michael
Midlands England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here Saturday and Sunday night, for my partner's 40th birthday. Couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend, nothing was too much trouble and the staff were excellent. Dinner both evenings was superb, and we enjoyed the use of tennis courts and the pool. Would definitely come back again,

Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad you enjoyed your birthday stay with us and will pass on your comments to the staff here at the hotel.

Im glad you could enjoy the tennis courts even in October, as they have been sadly underused this year due to the weather

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Sunday lunch with my wife. A beautiful small country house in lovely surroundings and with wonderful views, about 10 minutes drive from Chipping Camden. Two main reception rooms, both very comfortable and well furnished and decorated in an understated way. The dining room is long, and effectively divided into a series of alcoves. It is quite formal. The tables by the windows benefit from lovely views over the gardens and beyond. The staff were very welcoming on our arrival, and the service was friendly and professional. A very decent choice on the set Sunday lunch menu, and not a bad wine list (though I did not spot any dessert wines, which was a shame). The food was good if not the most exciting - typical Sunday lunch fayre. All in all, a very calm, restful and lovely place for a Sunday lunch, with good food and service.

Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad you enjoyed your lunch with us and will pass on your comments to the staff here at the hotel.

We have a selection of dessert wines both by the bottle and the glass, I’m sorry these weren’t offered to you with lunch and will speak with the restaurant staff to ensure we do in future.

YVR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This property is 3 miles outside of Chipping Campden, so you absolutely need a car if you are staying here. But it is a beautiful grounds a bit of a sprawling manor with, I think 3 buildings that have been connected. It is old, maybe 400 years old, but the condition is great, and amenities were good. There is a gym, with no windows a nice small pool, and a somewhat formal restaurant. We ate there once and while the service was good, we felt it to be a bit old fashioned and a little too sedate. The room was very nice, spacious, and quite modern, considering the age of the building. I think we stayed in a former pig sty. The room was very quiet, but I understand they do have big wedding parties there. I would recommend this place particularly for older couples.

Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your comments to the staff here at the hotel.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Charingworth Manor is set in lovely rolling Cotswolds countryside. The main building is a period manor house (14th century is the claim), and this has been added to with an extension that houses additional rooms and leisure facilities, as well as an annexe building with further rooms. Staff by and large were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent.

I did have an issue over some beauty treatment that I had pre-booked for my wife (wedding anniversary present) some 3 months beforehand. The hotel don’t have an in-house beautician/therapist – they outsource this and bring one in from outside. I double checked this booking on arrival at the hotel and had it confirmed. In the event, the person failed to show up, albeit that this was something I had to point out to Reception as they seemed blissfully unaware. The hotel took the view that it was not their fault as responsibility lay with the outsourced firm, but frankly if I was marketing myself as a 4 Star Hotel I’d be making a phone call to the treatment firm a day or even an hour beforehand just to make sure things like that didn’t happen. The other point worth making is one that appears in other reviews – overhead noise. We were in the extension (William Potter room) which is adjacent to the swimming pool, and above us was a corridor leading to other rooms. We found that the late night noise kept us awake until everyone else had finally gone to bed, so be warned and bring your earplugs! I’m sure this doesn’t apply to the premium suites in the main building, but I had already established that the hotel was completely full when we stayed there, so there was no point in requesting a move.

Anyone staying here for any length of time is spoiled for dining choice in terms of the number of Gastropubs within 5 or 10 minutes, notably the Ebrington Arms, Churchill Arms at Paxford, and the Eight Bells in Chipping Campden.

Room Tip: The "William Potter" room in the extension suffers from loud overhead noise - I suspect th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guests

Thank you for your comments we do appreciate guests taking the time to do so.

I apologise for the short comings during your stay and do take you notes on board about the beauty treatments, it was myself that you spoke to about this and we do have systems in place to ensure we have received confirmation form the company who we use, even if we had called on the day they would have been confirmed back to us as reserved as when I spoke to the therapist, she even confirmed the date and time back to me, it was only when I pointed out that that was today that she realised she had entered the details into her electronic diary with the correct date but on the incorrect page.

We are addressing the issue of overhead noise in certain rooms with additional sound proofing insulation, which should go a great deal further in reducing the noise, but with a wooden floor and ceiling building it can be irradiated completely.

I do hope we can welcome you back again and please don’t hesitate to speak with me directly and I can assure we will allocate a room where any noise will be kept to a minimum and could arrange a complimentary treatment for you.

Michael David Eastick

Been to Charingworth Manor? Share your experiences!