“Lovely little place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 367 Restaurants in Doncaster
Cuisines: English
Description: I asked a friend of mine if he could recommend somewhere to eat for me and my 2 friends to go for a birthday celebration as we were running out of ideas for somewhere different to go, he suggested The Hostel. Booking is advisable as very small and cosy and does get busy as its reputation for its good home cooked food is spreading. I had peppered mushrooms and warm bread for starters, my friends had crab and tarragon cake also tomato and goats cheese tart. For mains pork loin and course mustard mash with root vegetables, sea bass with a dill cream sauce and mash, and my vegetarian friend had beetroot risotto. Portions were not skimpy and we were all too full for sweets. The staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was very relaxed, thoroughly enjoyed it and will be going again as it has a lovely garden out the back for summer evenings. Well worth a visit.
South Yorkshire
“Lovely little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My mother in law was recommended this by a friend of hers, non of us had ever heard of it before. The reviews on TripAdvisor were good (I was a little put off by the fruit salad in a plastic tub picture - that in no way reflects the restaurant!).I tried to google it but couldn't find an official website, just a general hooton pagnell village website which offered a phone number, which I rang to book a table. The Hostel only opens in the evenings during mid week so if you are phoning, ring after 6.30pm. The member of staff I spoke to was lovely and very helpful. She explained that their website was under construction and will hopefully be sorted soon but happily read the menu to me and explained that the menu changed each week. She also explained that with advance notice almost all dietary requirements can be met so just to let them know in advance.

The Hostel is not very easy to find on a dark night, but a quick call from the car and the staff guided us in, even then we almost drove past it! (postcode/sat nav issues)

We went on a saturday evening and it was not busy but maybe we just fell on a quiet weekend, as the weather was pretty bad. The building is just beautiful from the outside, looked great in the dark, so I imagine its even better on a bright sunny day! The restaurant area is up a flight of quite steep stairs (could be a problem for people who find stairs difficult), although there is a hand rail to help. On arriving in the restaurant we were greeted by lovely warm welcoming staff. The restaurant is very cosy, intimate, however you want to term the word small, but it does add to the lovely warm feel of the place and the character of the building certainly is charming.

The menu choice was fantastic there were some good veggie options, something for everyone. The meals were beautifully presented, they almost looked too good to eat! As we all tucked in all you could hear was yummy noises being made, a good sign at any dinner table. We all agreed, some of the best food we have had in a restaurant in Doncaster in a long while. We completely cleared the plates, but this is not a reflection on the portion size, it was just so delicious. The staff were faultless, very friendly and were happy to help.

I will certainly be going again and although I want to recommend, Im a bit scared that the rave reviews might end up in having to book a table months in advance!!

I have only ticked average for "families with children". As it is such a small place, children would need to be sat at the table, no space to play away from the table/entertain themselves. Although, in the sunnier weather, there is a large outside area where children could run about and burn off some energy - I guess it depends on what type of children you have and what the weather is doing!

• Visited October 2013

South Elmsall, United Kingdom
“Small but perfectly formed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having lived less than a mile away but never having heard of the place perhaps marketing needs a tweak :-)
Beautiful views from the upstairs eating area. Inside is very quaint. For starters we had prawn cocktail and crab cakes. For mains slow roasted belly pork and lamb chops and I had the jam roly poly and custard. Portions were substantial and very well cooked. Whilst not a massive menu there was choice for everyone. The real ale was amazing. All in all a very nice evening

• Visited August 2013
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Hi my experiance here was amazing i was unsure when i seen this on tripadvisor as were no piks so i took piks of our food n was amazing would deffo go back n eventually try everything starters i seen coming out looked amazing to say it was z friday not it wasnt very busy i mean its a hidden gem if this restaurant was in middle of town it would be weeks waiting to get a table thr food is that good Go YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED

• Visited June 2013
“A must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Visited now on three occasions and each time the food had been exceptional. Staff always friendly and service is prompt and efficient. I would recommend this hostal to all.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Good food, good surroundings, nice atmosphere and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We wanted to go somewhere different for the daughters birthday, We heard about the Hostel from a friend and gave it a try. All six of us enjoyed the whole experience, the food the surrounding and the service and hope to return sometime soon.

• Visited February 2013