“Good Value and Location” 3 of 5 stars

Danum Hotel
High Street, Doncaster DN1 1DN, England   |
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Good Value and Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Good Location and room a good standard better than the reviews suggested. Hotel must have had an update, Stayed one night so quiet as city quiet that night, Service and Friendly staff, Difficult to use sat nav to Hotel as will direct you through pedestration streets have to go through wood street. Overal happy with the hotel food and tea reasonable prices. Only minor issue to metion is the lobby carpet on the second floor worn

Room Tip: As for Executive signle
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Myself and mates recently travelled up to Donny for one of the lads stag do's. The town itself is pretty horrific, it's completely stuck in the 1980's and I feel for the local people who have to get up and live there every day. However, when we arrived at The Danum we were greeted with a smile by a lovely, polite and helpful receptionist who was more than helpful to point out where our room was.

When we got to our room, I was stunned! It really was lovely. Two neat and tidy beds, a great bathroom and equipped with a plasma tv, mashing gear, 3 mirrors, ironing facilities and the view from windows was nothing but picturesque.

I slept like a baby, felt fresh from the shower and left with a smile on my face.

I have too stress though that The Danum is one of the only great things about such a miserable, run down town. The only other good things in Doncaster is the cheap ale and the fact that we parked overnight in a multi-storey car park for £3.

We had a good night in general but that is only because of great company with friends and the kind hospitality of The Danum Hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Upon checking in at 17.30 the receptionist was the most miserable person in the world. I asked him about the parking and informed me that my car should be ok. I then proceeded to check in and was given my room card and told the number, I was not told how to get to my room or what floor it was on, after getting miserable directions I entered the worlds most smallest lift that just about fit me and two bags in. I then found my room and opened the door and was disappointed even more. The deco was dated, the tv was from the pre 1990's and I had to hold the batteries in for it to work. The bathroom was falling apart and had dirty tiles and a broken shower rail. The bed was very uncomfortable with a wafer thin mattress and a brick pillow. Had a very noisy night with many doors being banged shut and shouting. All In all the worst hotel I have ever been to, I will never book to stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Castleford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stopped at this hotel for a race meeting we wasn't sure to as some of the reviews of this hotel were terrible we didn't think it was brilliant but it wasn't so bad it's true about the lift though very very small but not really bothered about that the hotel does need some tlc our room was ok very dated but we did get a 4 poster bed if you do manage to get a parking spot in the hotel grounds you have to enter via the exit entrance yes that was very confusing and the car park is very small overall not bad stopped in better and also stopped in worse forgot to mention was told the beer in the bar was terrible but we never managed to try as we was stood at the bar and this man walked out and said he'll get to us when he can I thought he was joking so we said we wouldn't bother and his reply to that was whatever and walked manners of a rocking horse

Room Tip: I would have said at the back but there are late night bars all around so if your stopping at weeken...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BOURNEMOUTH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

If you are going to Doncaster avoid this hotel, it is terrible, the reception staff on arrival were unwelcoming, when I did ask questions about were to eat and Directions I was told " I don't know I don't live around here ". The room was dirty and the shower only dispensed really hot water, very dangerous if you are unaware. Wi.Fi did not work although Booking. Com description stated wi.fi available when I asked if the passcode was o.k was told it usually works. Reported T.V didn't work, and the reading light did not work, after first night still the same on my return to the room on the second night. Just save yourself a lot of trouble avoid at all costs

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel seems to be suffering from the that'll do mentality. I was booked in on business at the last minute and what my employer paid was very reasonable indeed. The Hotel is located on the High Street in Doncaster although the outside promotes more of a bar (the DN) rather than a hotel.

On arrival the reception area was deserted although someone attend soon enough proclaiming that there was no one else due to check in (too bad for any walk in guests!). After rifling through some paperwork my booking was found and I was informed that the day staff who had printed it off had chosen not to process it leaving it for others (the that'll do mentality).

Once exiting the lift up to the rooms the hotel is very different to what is presented in reception. The corridors are very worn and have certainly seen better days. The room I had was a family room and was massive. Not the most modern room by any means but the room was clean and warm, with an iron, WiFi and TV provided and all working. The bathroom was clean and worked, although like the corridors had certainly seen better days. The bed itself certainly needed a new mattress but was adequate for one night and one of the handles for one of the wardrobes was missing.

The food served during the evenings at this hotel are very cheap compared to the majority of hotels and even gives Wetherspoons a run for it's money! However the food is very tasty and is a definite highlight of this hotel. Breakfast was nice enough although a little bit of a let down compared to dinner.

Overall I would consider staying here again if I need to come to Doncaster. This hotel is very good value and the staff are friendly. However with a little bit of effort and attention to detail this place could be a little gem and really be the bargain of the century!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

A nice hotel in a very convenient location if you are wanting to visit the town centre.
The rooms are clean and a good size, although the bathrooms are dated.
The food is pleasant and reasonably priced.
It has parking but only about 15 spaces for the whole hotel, and is very awkward to get into and out of.
The staff are friendly and welcoming.
The bar and restaurant are very stylish and modern, would be nice to see this standard reflected in the hotels rooms.

Will stay again.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor would be quieter as its very close to the main clubbing and bar scene.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Danum Hotel? Share your experiences!