“A relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at the Ramada Encore at Doncaster airport while contracting in the area. Prices are a little higher than the budget Ibis benchmark so I expected a higher standard. On the whole, I found this establishment to be clean, friendly and well run with a couple of niggles.

First the good points:

The open plan reception and bar area gives the hotel a welcoming and informal feel.

I was allocated a twin room on the first floor. The room itself was immaculately clean with bright and simple decor. The bathroom was especially well fitted out with a nice wet shower. Room facilities included tea and coffee making facility, flat TV, desk and climate control panel.

Quality of sleep can depend on how considerate the other guests are, but I can honestly say I had undisturbed rest for all three nights of my stay. This is really important and I felt the Ramada Encore really excelled in this area.

I found the staff to be friendly, professional and efficient without exception.

The surrounding area is not like a typical airport, it's really quite quiet. There was no noise from traffic or aircraft.

And now the not so good:

I ordered some soup for my evening meal on the saturday and, while the service was good, the soup was lukewarm and very salty.

Laminate flooring in the rooms is of questionable taste. Ok, it's easy to keep clean compared to carpet, but it's noisy, looks cheap and feels cold - a hangover from those dreaded changing rooms programmes and the last property boom.

Conclusion:

I would recommend this hotel to business travellers looking for value and comfort and would definitely stay here again myself. Overall, excellent value and service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Andrea H, General Manager at Ramada Encore Doncaster, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Steve J,

Thank you for your review, feedback from our guests is appreciated and I am pleased that overall you found the hotel and staff suitable for your needs and had a comfortable stay.

Our soups are all homemade so I will ensure your comments on this are passed to the kitchen team immediately so that they can rectify this issue.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again should you need to visit the area.

Lisa Sutcliffe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

Tiny rooms, cheap fixtures and fittings, and staff who were slightly dim and made a hash of my booking and payment - they were friendly enough but I want efficiency when being checked in. For the price, I didn't feel I got value for money. The only good point in all honesty was the smoking rooms for those of us that indulge. I won't be staying again.

• Stayed July 2012
Andrea H, Manager at Ramada Encore Doncaster, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear NYCLover77uk,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor, feedback is always appreciated although I do regret that on this occasion your feedback was not positive.

The rooms within the Encore brand are amongst the largest in the budget accommodation sector and I am pleased that you found our smoking rooms favourable as we are one of the only hotels in Doncaster to offer this option.

I am pleased that you found the staff to be friendly however I will ensure that any training required to provided to the individuals concerned to increase efficiency at check-in & check-out.

Andrea Hippsley
Senior Associate Manager
thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

No complaints except that Internet is not wireless and not free, except for 30 mins free wi if in the lobby. 10 pounds for 24 hrs. Free parking though. Shower nice and nice soap dispensers instead of a budget soap bar, which is very sensible. I did find that noise from the adjacent room was a problem. A problem with adjoining rooms with lockable doors

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear ianthailand

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor: I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

The wi-fi and internet access charges are unfortunately beyond the hotels control at this time as the charges are applied via the contracted supplier, however it is our hope that when the contract ends we will be able to a free service to our guests.

Hull. England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights beginning of july. Clean, tidy, pleasant staff,nothing too much trouble for them. Only thing that lets the place down is the breakfast.

Dear jackoHull_England,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, I am pleased that overall your enjoyed your stay at the Ramada Encore Doncaster and found the team to be warm and welcoming.

I have noted your comments on breakfast and can assure you that this is an area of focus for us at the moment.

We hope to welcome back to the hotel again in the future.

Many Thanks

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for a one night stay in June. This hotel is ideally situated for Robin Hood Airport (Doncaster and Sheffield). It's only a five minute walk from terminal to hotel. Even though it is close we were never bothered by aircraft noise - in fact we never noticed it.

We got a really good deal through a comparison website - £48 for a double room bed and breakfast - good value for money

Rooms were of a decent size and very clean and airy. Bed was not the most comfortable that I have slept in but not enough to cause any issues.

Breakfast was adequate with a good choice of hot and cold buffet.

I would not hesitate to stay here again should I be in the area or travelling out of Robin Hood Airport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear elainerory,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, feedback such as yours is a vital part of a customer service development I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and would be happy to return.

Best regards

Wiltshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the hotel, we were allocated a disabled room, good size room, huge bathroom, but such a tiny window, to open we had to struggle under the desk!, needed the lights on in the room at all times!
We had one small problem, single duvet in a double duvet cover!!, quickly sorted out by the hotel staff. Nice, friendly and very helpful staff, sorted out rail times and directions to local supermarket. Meal were OK, nicely presented, but not a lot of veggie choice, breakfast is quite expensive at almost £10.
Overall, not a bad hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem OK, very quiet no noise from the Airport across the road!
Dear SorrentoMoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor: it is always lovely to know when our guests have enjoyed theirs stays and I am pleased that you found the team friendly and helpful.

Andrea Hippsley
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Our flight was cancelled so Jet2 put us in this hotel for the night, good clean and modern hotel, the staff were not expecting everyone so it was a bit of a wait for some to get checked in, when we got checked in the key card did not work, this was a problem for everyone on floor 2 but a member of staff let everyone into their rooms. Staff would not open the bar until everyone was checked in so we ventured out and found a pub, breakfast was only cereal and toast but hit the spot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrsvark,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ramada Encore Doncaster, I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel and only regret that your stay was required due to a cancelled flight.

In order to speed up the check-in process it is our standard procedure to close the bar until all guests have been allocated their rooms and any additional items such as cots etc have been delivered, this enables us to prioritise the needs of families under these difficult circumstances.

I do hope that should you be using Robin Hood Airport again that you will choose to use the Ramada Encore Doncaster as well.

Lisa Sutcliffe

Been to Ramada Encore Doncaster? Share your experiences!