“Couldn't Have Been Happier” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley

You added Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley to your Saves list
Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Castlegate Park | Birmingham Road, Dudley DY1 4TB, England   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dudley
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Couldn't Have Been Happier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

From start to finish I was impressed and as I stay away regularly for business I have been to all standards of hotel.

Check in was extremely friendly and efficient with the added bonus of cold drinks due to the hot weather.

The room was spotless with nearly everything I needed. The only thing missing was a fan and after informing the wonderfully helpful receptionist there was one in my room before returning from dinner

Both the restaurant and Victory bar were staffed by friendly staff and served high quality fare. Both evening meals and breakfasts were of a very high standard and service was extremely quick

The health club is very well appointed and had no problem with overcrowding

I am returning next week and would always make this my hotel of choice if in the area

Room Tip: Away from lifts. With only a few floors but a lot of rooms near the lifts have a lot of foot traffic
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your very kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again next week. Regards Darryl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a group for a hen party. We were using the pool and spa facilities during the day and the staff kindly got a room prepared for us early to put our bags in. Check in was fine and the receptionist was very pleasant.

They had put us all next to each other, which was good. The room was fine and clean and was well decorated. Not the biggest room I have ever seen, there was 2 single beds (very close together, almost like a double) but was fine really. The bathroom was also a bit small but clean. There were no toiletries available which I thought was rather disappointing. The bed was comfy and quiet.

We used the pool which has 2 hot tubs, steam room and sauna. It was rather busy when we were there but still managed to use everything. Some of our party had massages which were very good.

We ate lunch in the verve restaurant, this was well priced and tasty but took a long time to come out, almost as if they could only do 1 at a time. There is also another restaurant and a Starbucks on sight. The parking is also free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
dleeh456, Manager at Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Kelly815

Thank you for your comments, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and managed to make time to use the leisure facilities also. We have a large leisure membership customer base so the gym and pool can be busy at time.

Let us know when you will be staying again, we hope to welcome you back v. soon

Kind regards
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for our friends engagement party, as we were from London we stayed from the Friday to the Monday. The hotel room was lovely and clean and was also spacious. It also had a big bathroom which was beneficial. If I came to Dudley again I would definately stay here.

Starbucks in the reception area is a bonus!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AlisonElston

Thank you for your review, it is always pleasing to hear when our customers have enjoyed their stay, I will be sure to pass thanks onto the team.

Kind Regards
Inverkeithing, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently stayed here on business and was extremely disappointed. I normally stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Oldbury which is adequate however on this occasion, there were a group of 6 so we decided to stay here so we could use the gym and have a better restaurant. On checking in, I was handed a piece of plastic with a key hanging from a rubber band - not a great first start but a minor issue which I was happy to let go. I was on the second floor and the second I opened the door, I was hit with a stench of stale smoke. I put the key fob into the holder to get the lights on but to no avail - when i tried to remove it, it was jammed. On calling reception, they eventually wrenched it out with a screwdriver and jammed the switch so I could get lights. I was informed, "they're old and crap so sorry!" The room was OK but the furniture was badly stained with ring marks etc. I went to wash my hands to find the soap dispenser was jammed and wouldn't work. After a few minutes of pressing it, a dribble would eventually come out. The bed was comfortable enough but the air con didn't work so it was extremely hot and I couldnt open my window as it backed onto the back of Tesco delivery entrance so the noise was unbearable. I then found a dirty great handprint in the middle of the bedroom mirror. Dinner was very average - eggs benedict made with hard boiled eggs was a first and the ribs whilst edible, were not very good. The restaurant staff were pleasant and bubbly which was probably the best part of this hotel. The gym was exceptionally busy so be careful when you try to use these facilities - clearly open to non residents too. Breakfast was poor - a 10 minute wait to be seated, no milk with the tea/coffee, no fruit left and very few hot items out - this was at 7:45am! I later found out that one of my colleagues had no towels in her room - this she found out after showering. My shower was broken so only a trickle of water came out of the shower head while ost of it gushed down the wall. On a plus point - they did have a half decent hairdryer.
Overall this was a very disappointing visit. I have heard from others that this is the worst hotel in the chain so others may fair a bit better. I have booked the HIE for my next trip and will certainly not bother with this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Karen - I was really sorry to read of your experience and regret that your stay on this occasion was let down in a number of areas. I am unsure whether or not you spoke with one of my duty managers prior to your departure but if you did not, please email me directly (darryl.holdnall@village-hotels.com) and we will address your feedback. We look forward to restoring your faith in Village Dudley soon.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three days in June and when I booked it I thought it was a very nice hotel but on arrival I started to get a little nervous, the key they gave us was broken, the toiletries are the cheap dispensers you usually get at Premier Lodges and the decorating has seen better days but luckily from here on everything just got better, the staff were great and we had dinner in the restaurant which was both tasty and affordable, the on site Starbucks was also a plus. Breakfast could have been better but had some awesome pastries that made up for any other let downs.

The jewel in the crown however is definitely the leisure facilities which I used on every day of our stay, the gym was great with ample machines that were well maintained and spaced, definitely the kind of gym I would join rather than the usual hotel side room that often passes for a gym. The pool was large and we'll set out with a big pool, steam room and sauna but if you don't have kids with you I would try to stick to 12 -14 or before 10 which are adult only as otherwise it gets s little crowded.

In all the only real negative we had was that the room was far too hot and the air conditioner didn't work, but I am sure if I had complained they would have sorted something out, but as I am English I didn't complain so I guess it was mostly my fault.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of Village Dudley. We were delighted to see that initial niggles seemd to have been overcome and that your stay was otherwise enjoyable. We hope to replace the soap dispensers as soon as our brand contractual obligations are fulfilled and in the meantime, you can always ask for soaps and shower wash as we have those too along with air conditioning in our Upper Deck rooms. Look forward to welcoming you back again to Village.
Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Turning up at this imposing building was a treat. It is directly opposite Dudley Castle and has its own wide car park. The sun was shining and the huge patio area was full of contented drinkers / guests and visitors.

The reception was clean and efficient and the staff were friendly and professional. We had a very good room rate (thru Late Rooms) but we were treated like royalty. Our room was on the second floor - with views out to the castle. The room was pleasant, large and well appointed. The pool (we didn't have time to use it) was vast!

The breakfast was nourishing. We had a drink in the busy bay late in the evening and the service was good.

Quite a few other reviewers have said that the Village was a bit grubby/dirty. My comment is that it is "Well Used..." This is a very busy place and it has got the scuff marks and paint scratches to prove it. It is exceedingly popular. And rightly so. Because it is a very equipped property. We had a seuprb stay and would very happily use The Village again, if we visit Dudley.

The place is listed as the De Vere VILLAGE Birmingham Dudley Hotel & Leisure Club on some sites - but it has eviently changed its name to the "Village" Dudley. The staff are still wearing the De Vere uniforms though.

Room Tip: One side faces the Castle the other side faces the countryside.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil - Thank you for your great comments, the team will be delighted.
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I stay at the village on a regular basis, the food offering, cleanliness and standard of the rooms has been getting progressively worse.

I find the bar to be poor yet the restaurant offers a good standard of food, albeit slightly overpriced.

Avoid breakfast - eek!

• Stayed May 2013
As a regular guest I was particulalry disappointed to learn of your comments, I would very much welcome and opportunity to meet with you whn you return to the hotel and perhaps I can get specific feedback that would help the team to improve.

Been to Village Urban Resort Birmingham Dudley? Share your experiences!