“If you want to be kept awake all night, stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

You added The Quality Hotel Dudley to your Saves list
The Quality Hotel Dudley
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Birmingham Road, Dudley DY1 4RN, England   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Dudley
“If you want to be kept awake all night, stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely dreadful place. I'm writing this at 2.15am whilst in the hotel, although I have to be up in 4 hours for work tomorrow. I have never stayed in such a terrible hotel. The staff were unfriendly upon arrival, I was originally allocated a room that smelt of cigar smoke, so changed to an alternative.
Although I went to bed at 11, I have been unable to sleep due to the traffic noise and constant noise from other guests. I am absolutely appalled that this hotel can call itself 3 star, it's dated, scruffy and not fit for purpose. I'm absolutely disgusted.

• Stayed April 2013
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello LizHow
Thanks for posting your review of your recent stay here at the hotel, please accept my apologies that your stay did not meet with your expectations.

We are refurbishing many parts of the hotel including bedrooms, corridors, bathrooms and our multiple function rooms. We are classed as a 3 star hotel due to the facilities that we have here and not from any external circumstance due to our location, in house guests etc.

These include a full service restaurant, well stocked bar serving a wide variety of beers lagers wines and spirits, a 24hr reception, 5 meeting & function rooms, free Wi-Fi throughout, free car parking front and rear, double, twin and family bedrooms being available.

I apologise for the unfriendly welcome received upon check in, my GM is aware of your complaint and dealing with the issue.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The receptionist on arrival was fab, after checking if the room had an iron / board (no) I asked for them. Bearing in mind I was carrying a bad in each hand I was handed the iron...beauty. And the tone was set.

As I travelled along the dingy corridor, through wafts of unidentifiable smells (urgh), stepping carefully on the threadbare carpet so as not to trip over whilst wheeling along my two bags and carrying an iron I thought…it’s only one night and it’s cheap….”Quality” in terms of “Value” maybe.

Arriving at my room it initially looked ok. I started to do what I normally do upon arrival which is iron clothes (packing is not my forte). I dropped something on the floor and discovered that the carpet had an additional layer of insulation, otherwise known as dirt. Jumping in the shower was a joy, if you’re a midget. I’m not a tall fella bit I had to duck to get under the fixed height shower head and no matter what I did the water went all over the floor.

The restaurant isn’t the classiest of places for dinner or for breakfast in terms of decor, food nor staff training.

My sleep was wonderful apart from the proximity of the main road, mere yards away from the ground floor window car noises, ambulances, police cars, people walking past - ALL NIGHT).

The really really hard part of the whole stay at the “Quality” Hotel Dudley though was that the hotel I usually stay in when I’m in Dudley, the Village, which was fully booked this time, was visible from my bedroom window…if all of the hotels are booked up next time round I’ll sleep in my car.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Many thanks for posting your review of your recent stay here at the hotel and may I offer my apologies for the issues detailed from your stay.

The Quality Hotel is on a busy road, just outside Dudley town centre, & just across that same road from The Village Hotel, & the traffic noise varies dependent on the day/night of the week of stay.

We cant do much about this unfortunately, however, our bedrooms here do face towards and also away from the road so not all rooms are affected.

We are refurbishing areas of the hotel including corridors and bedrooms & the House Keeping teams clean vacuum and dust all areas daily including bedrooms bathrooms and corridors.

I hope that your preferred travel agent who books your accommodation does so early enough to enable you to stay in your preferred hotel of choice locally and we are again sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay here at our hotel.

Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The room was clean, bedding was fresh, water was scalding hot......carpet was stained and had iron burns on it. Overall, you get what you pay for and at £50 it wasn't expensive. Trying to get your room key back however after going out wasn't so easy. No sign of receptionist....waited and rang bell for over 10 minutes before my partner went and found her chatting and laughing in the bar with the barman......she was then exceedingly rude and downright bad tempered. With staff like that its no wonder the hotel wasn't busy.....I would think twice about staying there again after her rudeness......as when alls said and done its guests staying there that actually keep the rude woman in work!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gill E
Many thanks for posting your review from your recent stay here and please accept my apologies for the issues that you have detailed.

When any guest has reported issues with 'attitude' being shown from staff, the senior management team here at the hotel investigate the details & where & when required take the necessary action to ensure that guests are always dealt with in a courteous and respectful manner and in a way that will not cause any misinterpretation or offence.

There are also times, unfortunately, where the manner in which the staff are being spoken to is aggressive, disrespectful & not necessary and certainly does not help with the situation.

We have taken the required action the senior management feel necessary with the member of staff.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I was given a room that smelt strongly of smoke. After being moved to another room I spent the whole night attaching towels to the shower head to stop the constant dripping noise. A problem the cleaner states she had reported several times. For my second night I moved to yet another room where the guests in the opposite room partied until 4am. Having tried to call the reception desk, but finding my room phone did not work, I rang the hotel from my mobile. A night porter knocked on the door of the room opposite, (they did not answer). What happened next was the porter trying to gain entry, a hallway scuffle and the threat of police. in the morning when I went to reception to complain. I was greated my a tired receptionist who not only, did'nt appologise, but went on to tell me she had had a rubbish night sleep too! Because at her house she had been too hot in the night. No appology, no re3fund, no anything...poor!

The bar and restraunt are more like your dodgy local pub.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello Sharon C
Many thanks for taking the time and posting your review from you recent stay here at our hotel and apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations.

My General Manager dealt with the issues that you raised during your stay in relation to the smell of smoke from your room, she showed you 2 other rooms for your 2nt stay, however, you preferred to stay in the original room.

You gratefully accepted my GM's offer of a complimentary large glass of wine for the inconvenience.

In the morning my GM asked if you had a pleasant evening and the room was ok to which you replied that you had.

Unfortunately, we have no report submitted from our Night Porter of disturbances in the adjacent room to yours, especially when you detail there was a 'hallway scuffle' as this is a serious offence. Should any of our staff be subjected to violence from guests, we immediately call the police and have them removed from the premises.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations however we did attempt to resolve the issues that you had reported as problems.

Halifax, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel first time, Staffs are Fab, Helpful, Jolly, Breakfast was good, the food cooked nice, there was a bit of issue with the heater sometimes I felt a bit cold, reading other people reviews , I think they do need to spent a few bucks on the Heaters, but its real good value for money, thumbs up...keep it up!!..they are in competition with Village Hotel , but I would recommend this over Village if you want to save your money and still have all the basic needs fulfilled.

Ta

Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to post a reveiw of your stay here recently at our hotel and good to hear that you had a good stay and felt that we are 'very good value for money'.

The hotel has a great team of staff throughout all the hotel's operations from Front Desk through to the Maintenance team and work hard to provide a level of service that exceeds expectations.

All our 72 ensuite bedrooms are centrally heated with the hotel's heating being on a timer control, however, should any guest request for additional heating we do have a small number of portable convector heaters that are given out.

I do hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

Dudley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

we stayed here new yrs eve and quite frankly it was a bad mistake. Despite the quality advertising a bar in the hotel, we could not use it due to the fact a private party was being held in there. We instead had to walk into dudley town a good 20 minutes walk away and on our return we were able to purchase a drink from the bar but the receptionist informed us that she would have to go and get it and we had to drink it in the reception area. We were unfortunate enough to have the company of an abusive guest who was there courtesy of the DHSS. The cleanliness of the room wasn't too bad but the windows needed a good clean and so did the curtains. The bathroom entertained us throughout the night with its constant drip sound coming from the shower head. The bathroom was dirty in the corners, hair and dust which appeared to have been there for some time was scattered along the edges. The bathroom door was rotten at the bottom. The bed appeared to have an hole straight down the middle which we kept rolling into. We decided to have a shower at home the next morning due to the condition and state of the bathroom. Upon leaving we noticed the condition of the window frames and that they were rotten. This explains why the room was so noisy at night from the traffic going past. My advice would be to spent a little extra and go to the copthorne a short drive away, there you are assured entry to the bar, a clean room and a decent nights kip. This is my 3rd quality hotel review since january but one never got published and the 2nd one disappeared from the site.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Scott1928
Many thanks for posting your review of your stay here on New Years Eve, like other hotels and function venues on NYE, our hotel was busy that evening with our New Years Eve Celebration banquet which was being held in our Conservatory Restaurant.

As I'm sure you would understand, it was a ticket only event, however, after the meal had been served the hotel's General Manager invited all other residents in the hotel that evening into the party to celebrate the New Year. I'm not sure why you didn't take up this offer.

We do not tolerate any guest being abusive in the hotel, & when we are informed, we request them to leave immediately from the premises, unfortunately, we had no report to the Front of House team of any abusive guest in the hotel that evening.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at this hotel with my other half only to be disappointed. The Room smelt, was dirty, outdated, the carpets were stained and dirty. The bed was hard the bed covers even felt dirty looked behind the bed as I'd dropped my mobile only to only to find a thick layer of dust and tissue under the bed, the television was covered in dust especially at the back, there was only access to two plugs one next to the kettle. The chairs were unbalanced and dirty/stained. The windows didn't feel very secure. The pillows were very flat and having 3 pillows at home I'd of needed about 6! To feel comfortable, There was just a nasty smell about the whole hotel. The bathroom needs updating the bath itself looked very grubby and me being a clean freak had to clean it myself even though I refused to actually have a bath. The shower leaked at took a long time to get warm never mind hot. The plug in the sink wouldn't stay closed which is a problem if you're trying to have a wash. My partner and I decided to keep our footwear on just to keep our feet clean. The receptionist didn't give us a warm welcome. Breakfast looked fine I didn't try it but the lady serving gave excellent customer service. The whole hotel needs updating the rooms seriously need decorating. Would never stay here again! Which is shocking seen as I know the manager!. Booked this hotel through booking.com the image of a room on there is COMPLETELY different to what you get. Truth be told we only stayed here because the village hotel were fully booked. The price for the rooms are ridiculous for what you get I'd honestly pay £20 for a room per night that's all its worth. Will NEVER stay here again and I'll advise anyone to go somewhere different.

• Stayed February 2013
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello SSL2309
Many thanks for taking the time and posting a review of your recent stay at the hotel and please accept my apologies that your stay did not meet with your expectations.

We have a programme of refurbishment works in place for 2013 for updating our bedrooms and ensuite bathrooms, the Housekeeping teams are regularly monitored on the standards of cleanliness and all linen provided in the rooms is clean and freshly laundered for our guests.

Kind regards

Been to The Quality Hotel Dudley? Share your experiences!