“Brilliant Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Have stayed here twice before and find it an excellent hotel for a stop over on the way up to Edinburgh from the south of England. As usual the welcome was warm. This time our room was more spacious than previous times but it was on the busy road though noise was not too much of a problem. The evening meal was tasty local fare and was delicious. We chose the steak and ale pie and the fish and chips washed down with some excellent Thwaites beer. Breakfast was also good.

Fortunately we managed to reserve one of the four parking spaces otherwise parking can be a bit of a problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I'm so pleased that your 'hat-trick' stay at Penny Street was just as enjoyable as the previous two!

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 1 night and ate food at the hotel too.
As soon as we arrived the night porter offered me a flask of cold milk for my tea in the room. Also when we enquired about the location of of destination for the next day he brought up google maps to make it very clear where we were going. This pattern of friendliness and the willingness for staff to go out of their way to help guests was evident from our encounters with other staff the next day.
We were allowed to stay in our room for longer after check out time so my daughter could do some last minute studying for her exam. The cleaner also went outside to point out a route I could follow for my jog and the bar staff were very friendly and welcoming too.
Efficient, relaxed and a warm home from home place to stay.
I would thoroughly recommend and the location is excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review! It's good to know that all the team made you feel so welcome and enhanced your stay at Penny Street Bridge.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on a business trip. A very good location in the town centre with a wide range of bars and restaurant close by, within 5 minutes walk of the train station, and more importantly for me only a 5 minute walk to my business destination. Food was good and at a reasonable price and the staff were very attentive and polite. Whilst the general comfort and hygiene of the room was ok the bathroom could have been cleaner. There was paint peeling from the area around the ceiling extractor fan and the tile grouting was dirty in some areas of the shower room, something I don't consider to be acceptable. All other areas of the room and public areas were clean. The room was very well appointed with quality fixtures and fittings but the shower room let it down. The wall mounted TV, which had the full range of digital tv Freeview channels, was mounted too high on the wall to allow for comfortable viewing. The air conditioning unit was very noisy, it wasn't an issue to turn this off during this cold weather but it would be loud enough to keep me awake if i were to stay here during the hot British summer. Drinks facilities were available in the room with a range of tea, coffee and biscuits. I was surprised to find this hotel didn't offer a wifi service. Room cost was £72 + £6.50 for a full breakfast. Save for the minor issues above which leads me to give an average for cleanliness and as a result room quality, I will stay here again and would recommend to others as its a marked step up from the PTI I normally end up staying at whilst in Lancaster!.

• Stayed February 2013
I'm so glad to hear that the minor issues that you encountered during your stay would not prevent you from staying again or recommending Penny Street Bridge - we will certainly address the one or two small problems that you've experienced. Many thanks.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed for a weekend-lovely comfortable room. At the back overlooking the courtyard - very quiet. Location was great - very central and within walking distance of shops, restaurants, pubs etc. Breakfast was great too, good quality and well cooked. The bar is comfortable and the selection of wines and beers is decent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking courtyard - nice and quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for this great recommendation! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I used this hotel mid February 2013. Reading some of the reviews, I wonder if I was staying in the same hotel? My room was excellent - yes, a strange shape, but this meant I had 'an office' separate to my sleeping room. Excellent lighting for this which is often hard to find in hotels.The room, bed linen and towels were spotlessly clean and the bed very comfortable. When I needed more milk in my Thermos, I just asked and it was supplied with a friendly smile.The meals were excellent too.
I also used the Board room for a two day meeting. The hotel obviously do not cater for regular meeting/training as they do not have flip chart, but the staff were excellent in sourcing one for me. I also has to ask for water and glasses on the table. Again, this was supplied as soon as I asked. The function catering was also of a very high standard and I was always able to locate a member of staff when I had queries, needed photocopying done etc.
My only 'but' ...... please wash the net curtain on the second floor landing

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
It was a pleasure having you and your colleagues with us recently and I'm glad that you found our standards so high. I hope you look to us again, we might even be able to acquire a projector next time!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

we stayed here for a weekend getaway to visit Lancaster. The first impression was very good lady who booked us in very friendly and helpful, liked the flask of fresh milk, no other milk was provided on next day so we brought our own from the Sainsburys over the road, I would have expected powdered or uht milk in the room. We had room 3 which is on the front corner over looking the busy junction and the canal,but the triple glazing did a brilliant job of keeping the noise out. The bathroom was spotless and the water temperature just right. The air con was easy to lower or switch off.

Breakfast was very good both mornings, attentive staff but not overly so, young man had no problem providing me with just hot water for my herbal tea bags.

3 things spoilt the weekend:

1 the bed was excessively soft which meant you lay at a 45 degree angle as soon as someone else got into bed! This is what I expect from a cheap B&B not a hotel of this standard. The mattress was so poor you could feel the metal bars.of the frame underneath. I would suggest the Management review this .

2 the cupboard with the kettle in was badly thought out, due to the shape of the room you could not pull the shelf out completely and had to faff about on about 4 inches of space, if you tried to use the upper shelf the ironing board and iron which are "hooked on a bracket on the wall would fall on you as it actually doesn't hook it perches, and it takes no more than moving a shirt to make the whole lot fall on you. Very dangerous

3 only a minor thing but the hairdryer kept cutting out, would stay on about 5 minutes then overheat and go off.

We had no chance to mention these problems as apart from the breakfast waiting staff we saw no staff all weekend until we were leaving and then the young man had a queue waiting to pay and just told us how much we owed and took our payment, he didn't interact or ask how we'd enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013
I'm glad that you had an overall enjoyable stay with here at Penny Street Bridge and enjoyed Lancaster. If you stay with us again please do ask for more milk as and when you need it, we will be more than happy to give you all that you need!

I'm sorry that your problems were not addresses whilst you were staying with us, as we would of course have endavoured to solve them for you, you mention a lack of staff but if you ever require any assistance then there is a buzzer on reception which will be answered as soon as possible.

We hope to see you again soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed one night at this central hotel whilst visiting Lancaster Uni.

There were lots of good things, my daughter loved the shower, fresh milk in thermos to go with tea / coffee, comfy, cosy beds and triple glazing made room quiet. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast scrummy. Complimentary newsapaper appreciated. Easy walk to town centre but next to canal which was perfect location for us(we walked out to the uni along the canal).

However a few things were less good - air conditioning in room useful but didn't seem to be working properly as room too warm at night despite turning to chill setting and reducing temperature - had to revert to opening window to cool room which was then rather noisy from nearby night club.

Somehwat quirky "wardrobe" bit like a tardis plonked by the window rather spoilt the room, though odd shape of room clearly made placing furniture a challenge. Not much space to put things if staying more than one night but fine for brief visit. Some of room a bit dusty, but bathroom spotlessly clean

Bath drained extremely slowly - so much so, using shower filled bath up without plug in - plumbing needs attention. Took a while to work out how to use taps, maybe just showing my age! Two towels seemed to be grubby with possibly make up stains.

We ate in the bar in the evening which was very pleasant but the food a little disappointing - I had the Tiger Prawn Linguine which was very heavy on the olive oil and hardly a hint of chilli, bit greasy and lacking in taste ( would recomend a similar recipe from BBC good food which I make regularly which is very simple and extremely tasty), my daughter enjoyed the Calzone.

Some information about Lancaster and the nearby places of interest in the room would have been appreciated.

Lastly tried to contact hotel by email twice during booking process and received no reply, frustrating as would have liked replies to questions but not enough time in life to follow up everything.

Overall would cerainly stay here again, but would be good if ensured quality in all areas.

Room Tip: Might ask for a room not overlooking road next time in case air conditioning isn't working prope...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for having so many good things to say about us and I'm sorry we seem to have let you down on a few details.

Our air conditioning does take a bit of getting use to but if you call down to Reception we will be more than happy to come and help you out, this goes for any problem you have with the room for example: the towels which we would have been more than happy to replace immediately for you. There is also a collection of local information in Reception for our guests wishing to explore the local area.

One of the side effects of being such a wonderful listed building is that our rooms are all different shapes and sizes. However we feel that this adds to our Character and we do our best to furnish the rooms accordingly. I'm sorry that you did not find this to be so.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our Linguine, but I hope your daughter's Calzone proves that this is a one off.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge.

Been to Penny Street Bridge? Share your experiences!