“Great sleep” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Lancaster
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed here. As always there was a warm Lancastrian welcome. The room was comfortable and my husband and I slept well. We like the fact that fresh milk is given to you as you arrive and this time there were fruit teas in the room.

The reason I came back for a second time with husband was the breakfast. The first time I stayed (April 2012) the breakfast was as advertised - best in the business and using local suppliers. But trip 2 (Sept 2012) and 3 (Feb 2013) not so good. Second time everything was dried out. Last time which was over my birthday was better but the fried egg was solid. I expect a fried egg to be runny. And I'm not sure the suppliers of the sausages or the bacon are the same. Which is shame.

We will probably stay again as in it is so conveniently placed for the city. We can walk into the centre and enjoy the delights of Lancaster.

Please improve the breakfast - bring it back up to what it was.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and that you enjoyed our fruit tea offering! I'm glad that you found our breakfast better than your previous stay and as with everything we are always trying to improve so hopefully you will be able to stay again and find the breakfast as you like it.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had to make a last minute trip to Lancaster. I requested a quiet room and indeed it was very quiet - especially considering the hotel's location in the middle of town at a major junction - and was tastefully furnished with a great shower! When I requested a meal in the room the reception staff could not have been more accommodating, although officially there is no room service, and when I requested an extra night's stay in the same room they were equally helpful. I loved the character of this hotel especially the bar/breakfast room. The Penny Street Bridge made a difficult trip much easier!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We pride ourselves on providing a comfortable “inn” style welcome despite being in the centre of the city. Hopefully your next trip to Penny Street won’t be as last minute and that you’ll have more time to enjoy everything we have to offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Furness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Firstly the room was excellent, clean, well appointed and warm. The shower room was also well appointed with an excellent, large shower. Just one problem - the sink had no water! This made shaving difficult as I had to rinse both razor and face under the shower! Had I been staying longer I would obviously have reported this to staff, but decided to leave it for the housekeeping staff to discover on my departure.

I had been looking forward to breakfast, advertised as one of the "best in the business". Sorry, not so. It was distinctly average, half a rasher of bacon, one sausage, a very solid fried egg, the black pudding (one slice) was obviously supermarket bought, and why do people insist that baked beans are part of a full English. Half a grilled tomato and field mushroom also arrived on the plate. The coffee was only warm and not nice at all. Guests had to make their own toast, I had to hope that my toast was done in time to coincide with the arrival of breakfast, I failed! Breakfast duly arrived and by the time my toast was ready, brekky was well cooled down. Surely toast can easily be done in the kitchen?

Overall I would recommend a stay here, based largely upon the really very nice room, good staff, and at £55 B+B good value + city centre location. But breakfast issues really do need addressing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I’m so sorry that your breakfast proved to be the difference between a good stay and a great stay. It seems we must admit to not being on top form that morning but I can assure that the black pudding does come from a local butcher and I personally agree with you on the beans “front.
The sinks do all work, they are just terribly modern and sometimes guests don’t work them out immediately. Had you brought it to our attention we would have been more than happy to have popped up to your room and shown you how they worked.
Thank you however for the overall recommendation.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We used Penny Street Bridge Hotel as a base for our daughter's wedding in early January 2013, occupying 16 rooms. Most guests stayed two nights and a few for a longer stay. They all thoroughly enjoyed their experience. The facilities were excellent, the food very good, there was a wide selection of real ale and the overall character and ambiance of the hotel was delightful. The central location suited our guests very well and, while parking was limited, there was a public car park nearby. The hotel was also great value for money, especially as we benefited from a special January deal! Most of all, the staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful:they went out of their way to make our stay a very pleasant and memorable one. We would be very happy to use this hotel again.

The Radcliffes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Well, I might just pin this one up for all the staff to see! Many thanks for your great review, we enjoyed meeting the Radcliffe family and also looking after you all during your stay. Congratulations to the bride and groom.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We used to recommend that our visitors stay at the Penny Street Bridge. However, once I was waiting for our guest in the room next to the lobby, when I was approached by the manager and challenged as to why I was in the hotel. After explaining, he denied my guest was staying at the hotel, right up until my guest entered.

Extremely rude manager, and will never recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
I am really surprised to read your review, but naturally disappointed to hear you’ve left us with a bad impression. I see you live in Lancaster and would welcome the opportunity to find out more about this incident - albeit almost 12 months ago - so if you are able to contact me personally at your convenience that would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Paul Spencer - Manager and all of the team at Penny Street Bridge.
Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

A big chain hotel it certainly is not, but you can't ask for anything more! charming property with excellent rooms, food offerings and the best of real ale. the location is extremely central even if Lancaster is not big at all. excellent value for money

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Penny Street Bridge, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
It’s good that you feel we offer all the services of a large chain hotel with a smaller hotel atmosphere-just what we’re aiming for….thank you.We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
Paul Spencer - Manager and all the Penny Street Bridge.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

When on business my needs are simple, a clean room, with a good bed, followed by a good shower and breakfast to set me up for the day. This hotel excelled in all these areas, especially with the showers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is a great advert for doing the simple things properly. We hope to see you again soon.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge.

Been to Penny Street Bridge? Share your experiences!