“Another great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Burton upon Trent
“Another great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

This is the third time we have stayed here. Very handy for Lancaster castle and the town centre. Rooms are comfortable ans clean. Breakfast is good and the staff are friendly. Very handy if travelling by train as this bed and breakfast is opposite the railway station. Would recommend.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Quite good bed
Quite good cleaning
Quite good English breakfast.
An honest b&b
Very near to the castle and the Priory, 5 minutes from the centre and have a parking for the guests.
No problems with the trains, not running during the night.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
redditch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stewart was very friendly and looked after us well.The house is in the centre of Lancaster and a stones throw from the station ready for our train trip.Good value for money, clean rooms. I don't know about the breakfast because we had to get the train but I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Guisborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed here with two colleagues whilst working in the area & we rang up & asked for 3 double rooms on the day we were going to arrive, we were told that was fine so we booked up.

We arrived on the night & were shown to our rooms, my two colleagues having got their rooms 1st were happy with their double rooms, I was surprised when I opened my room door to find it was a twin room with two single beds in & not the double we'd agreed on,

being a 6ft adult male a single bed is no good for me hence why we booked for double rooms, I'm not usually one to complain but I felt I had to in this case.. I spoke to the owner & she told me "it's the size of a double room" & I can move into a single room with less space if I want to!? "If not I'm more than welcome to go & find somewhere else to stay" which I found quite ignorant & unprofessional but it was late & settled for what I'd been given.

it seemed to me she either doesn't understand what double room means or just wanted to fill rooms no matter what, either way it's wrong.

I stayed in that room for two nights then was allowed to move into a double room when it had been vacated.

My worst experience in a b&b so far if I'm honest.

On a positive note the rooms are clean & comfortable with a good wifi connection which (including a double bed) is important to me!

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Stayed August 2014
Brittany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We arrived early and were greeted by a very friendly owner who allowed us to park the car and advised us about places to eat and visit whilst in Lancaster. We were going on a steam train journey the following day so it gave us an opportunity to cross the road and check out the platform that we would be leaving from the following morning. This B & B was great value for money it included a very nicely prepared and served full English Breakfast on our second morning and considering that we were within walking distance of just about everything plus had free off road parking we couldn't fault it. Our room No 4 was spotless and although it was a very hot week we were able to sleep soundly with the windows open. We would like to thank our hosts for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Room 4 was great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here for my daughters graduation. We were very happy & felt it was very good value for the money (lower than any of the nearby places). Everything we needed was in the room iron & Board etc.

Only complaint was the room was a bit small. But then it was sold to us as a 'small double', so I guess I shouldn't gripe! We are talking about a 3* BnB not a hotel.

We would definately stay again if we should ever come to lancaster again.

• Stayed July 2014
Bournemouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We chose to stay here in June to travel on the Settle to Carlisle steam train that left early in the morning. It's a great location, being 100 yards from the station and it has an off-road car park (hard to find in central Lancaster). It's also walking distance from the town centre and restaurants.

It does the basics right, in that it's clean and comfortable and breakfast is fine. However, that's about all the plus points.

On the downside, the whole building is tatty and especially the bedrooms, with old worn-out furniture (we couldn't use one drawer as the handle had fallen off). The worst thing was that we couldn't open the windows on a very warm evening, making the room stuffy. One seemed to have been nailed shut and the others had been stuck together by paint. What is more, the room overlooked the railway and trains run all night, so if we had been able to open the window, the noise would have been worse!

We were received in a very impersonal way, shown to our room and left- but only after we had paid for our stay in advance! The shower just about worked and the towels were so small large persons couldn't have dried themselves.

All told, we would only go there again if we need an early train- and fortunately, I don't think we will somehow.

Room Tip: Keep away from the railway side- but I doubt there are any "good" rooms!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jean_JeanieLancaster, Owner at Old Station House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Champagne taste and a brown ale wallet!

Clearly this is someone struggling on a budget and expecting more than their purse can afford.

You would think that common sense would prevail. If you stay in a 3* bed and breakfast (and pay 3* prices) you cannot expect 4* services and accommodation. I suggest in future you put your hand in your purse and pay the relevant higher price.

The Old Station House is a 3*, city centre, bed and breakfast . All our rooms are clean and tidy and have opening windows?!!. We offer value for money accommodation.

Finally, if you couldn't manage to open the window you had only to ask and we would have helped you out? What on earth is the point of moaning when you have gone? (bolted horse & gate.....).

Been to Old Station House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!