“Faded Elegance” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Lancaster
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Faded Elegance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you are expecting an identikit hotel, the type which has appeared around most towns don't come here. If you want a hotel in the centre of town at a good price then do come here.
There are a few negatives, rooms at the front get some road noise (what do you expect, it's in a town centre bring some earplugs). Paint peeling on the restaurant ceiling and the extractor fan in my bathroom was noisy.
Good points, right in the town centre and Lancaster has a good selection of pubs and restaurants, and the most important aspect of any hotel, the bed was comfortable and the room clean. Breakfast was good enough and I thought the ancient lift quite in-keeping with the old building. Will definitely stay again on my next night out in Lancaster.

Room Tip: Go high or go round the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Beverley S, Manager at Royal Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to note your comments following your recent stay. I am pleased ot say that the paper in the dining room is scheduled to be fixed this week and although it was unsitely in a newly refurbished room a flood is something we could not have avoided and we have taken every step to ensure this was recitifed as soon as it could be. I am glad you found the lift in keeping with the character of the building. We have said in the past the lift is very much like marmite- you either love it or hate it. It is a periodic feature but all the electrics of the lift are new and maintained regularly to adhere to all safety policies. I am glad to hear you enjoyed stay thorugh the city centre noise adn we hope to welcome you back soon. If you ask for a room at the rear of the building the reception team will do their best to accommodate you subject to availability.

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights, only intended to stay for 1, the hotel accommodated my requests for extra nights with great patience as I asked on the morning of departure for the extra nights stay,was moved to different rooms each night, the rooms that i used were clean and had fresh towels
Yes the lift is old, but it is an old building and to me part of the character, Breakfast was ok and Staff were friendly
I will be using the Royal Kings Arms anytime I will be in Lancaster

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for noting your comments. I am pleased to hear that the character of the building shone through and you could appreciate the history through the age of the building. I am happy to hear that you found your stay to your satisfaction and I am sure the reception team will be pleased by your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Appalling! Dirty ancient lift. Restaurant ceiling decoration falling down. Food cold, fresh fruit for breakfast moldy, bacon cold. Asked for mushrooms for three days non available. sad to see a hotel so neglected. Sink in bedroom cracked. Needs serious investment

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to note your comments following your departure. It is regrettable that you did not feel that we had fully resolved them in house when you approached us. The fruit was returned to the supplier as a matter of priority as it had only just been delivered, we reposnded to your comments with immediate effect.The comments you gave us were taken seriously and the chef has been addressed in house. The lift is old but forms part of a Heritage property that is also grade 2 listed and so will remain with us for some time. It is small and carpeted which some poeple do not like but the carpeted area is cleaned regularly. It is a shame to us that you felt you had to spend so many days in a place you were unhappy with, I am certain if you had made reception fully aware of how unhappy you were they would have helped you to find a more suitable stopping point.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

we booked a room about a week before, as we were traveling to Scotland from Hampshire. we ordered a cot and even phoned a second time to make sure we had one, for my 2 year old.

we got to the hotel at 2am, struggled to find a parking spot, hotel car park is tiny.
the bloke behind the desk was fine, seemed nice enough. got to the room on the top floor (in one of those old fashioned lifts, was a novelty, my son loved it).
went into the room....no cot! it was so late and we had a long part of the journey left the next day we forgot about it and made do with the spare bed, which actually was probably better in the long run as my son doesn't always like to sleep in travel cots, im just glad it wasn't extra on the bill.

the room itself was not bad. it had all we wanted for one night. it would have been nice to be able to open the windows up a bit more, as it was quite stuffy inside, one point i even checked to make sure the heating wasn't on. windows could also do with a clean. we had a nice view of the castle though.

on leaving, there were 2 cleaning ladies, who completely ignored us as we had to weave our way around all the dirty laundry on the floor.
the lady behind the desk when we handed in our key was very nice.

its not a bad place, needs a bit of tlc and the odd things like politer cleaning staff and putting a cot up when they say they will, and some air con? could make it all the better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Beverley S, Manager at Royal Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for noting your comments. You have my assurances that I shall raise your concerns with the housekeeping team adn make sure that the head housekeeper addresses their behaviour as a matter of priority. I can only apologise for the breakdown in communication which meant the cot had not been made up prior to your arrival.Our windows are restricted for health and safety reasons and although I can understand the frustration this can cause some guests I can also understand why the restrictions were introduced. We do have fans for rooms and these are available for guests via reception or housekeeping as detailed in the guest directories.
Surbiton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here recently and was plesantly surprised-I had booked the room last minute-It was the cheapest by nearly £10 compared to other establishments. The hotel is situated in the centre of Lancaster and easy to walk to the station. The room was simple, clean and functional-just what i needed. The breakfast was good-no complaints.
Yes, the hotel is a bit tired-and may need a lick of paint in some places, but the staff were friendly and helpful.
If you want a simple, clean functional and very reasonably priced room in the centre of Lancaster-look no further.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thak you for noting your commetns. I was delighted to hear that in spite of the age of the hotel you managed to enjoy your stay. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the staff, they are always pleased to receive positive feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

To put it in a nutshell, the decor is old, the place was scruffy and smelly, the room was too warm, the toilet took forever to flush and we could not open the window.

The only positive was the lady that checked us in was pleasant (though she did forget to give us the wifi password, despite asking if we wanted it during check in and me saying yes).

Breakfast was quite literally one of the worst experiences ever:

The young lady that eventually asked us to sit down (after us stood waiting for at least 5 minutes) was, to be quite frank, useless.

The room wasn't that busy but she got everything wrong, didn't tell us where anything was and served someone before us that had arrived after us. She asked us if we wanted tea or coffe, then asked on another occasion, then we had to chase again to get it.

The food was of low quality, cold and took an age to do. I was just surprised not to see Manuel running around being chased by Basil Fawlty.

Will not be returning here I'm afraid!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Beverley S, Manager at Royal Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am sorry to hear of the problems you encountered at breakfast. All guest comment sare taken very seriously and all satff concerned willbe dealt with as a matter of priority. It is regrettable to met hat you did not enjoy the breakfast or see the benfits of the service as we have had in thepast many a good comment about our breakfast. Thank you for taking the time to note your comments
Altrincham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Firstly, we arrived at the car park and took the back entrance into the hotel. The first impressions weren't great, scruffy appearance and very outdated decor. The receptionist was nice enough and were checked in reasonably quickly. The key however was too big to fit in either of our pockets so that was a bit of an issue, not sure why it needs to be so big!

The room itself was OK, nothing to write home about however when we returned later that night, the room was too warm and we could not vent the windows for any are. There is no air conditioning and no fan provided. We both had to sleep outside of the covers to keep as cool as possible.

Breakfast itself was an experience I have neither had before or will ever forget...

We firstly had to wait quite a while to be seated by a waitress that seemed very flustered. The room itself was less than 50% capacity, yet all the empty tables all needed clearing and cleaning. We were eventually seated with no meny and I had to hunt one down to decide what we wanted to eat. There are juices, cereals, etc. available on self-service which we deduced rather than were told as the waitress scarpered without saying anything. A couple who arrived after us were served first! Not good!

She eventually took our hot drink order only to forget our answers and came back to ask again. She then finally came over (after another long wait) to take our food orders where we both asked for the same breakfast. Still no tea and coffee on the table...

When food arrived, she carried one plate out of our order and asked if either of us had ordered what she was carrying - I said we both ordered it. She apoligised (lost count how often this happened) and went back in to ask for the same again. Tea and coffee finally arrived after I chased again.

When she eventually brought the duplicate order out, I asked for some brown sauce and milk for the tea and coffee (I presumed milk would be an obvious pairing for hot drinks) - she proceeded to say 'Erm' and looked over her shoulder. She returned with the milk but no sauce and by that time I had given up asking for anything more! No teaspoons provided, so I had to stir my coffee with the butter knife.

The breakfast itself was horrendous - the sausages were of very poor quality and mainly fat - the bakes beans were stone cold. I'm not sure how it's possible to get baked beans wrong!

We decided to leave and on the way out, I saw 2 bowls of sauce - 1 red and 1 brown! Why didn't she just tell me where they were???

We checked out and if the breakfast scenario wasn't enough to put us off this hotel for good, then certainly having to walk through the exit to the car park where 2 members of staff were smoking in the doorway was definitely enough!

Absolutely horrendous people working there - avoid it if you would like to experience at least some level of acceptable service.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Beverley S, Manager at Royal Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you found the key fob to the room too large, we have them of this size so theyare easy to read and easily identifiable as we have in the past lost many a keyfob as people leave with them in their pockets. Fans are provided for rooms via reception or housekeeping as detailed in the guest directory- again I do apologise if you missed this.We have been working very hard this week to rectify the issues that occurred on breakfast to ensure they do not happen again.

Been to Royal Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!