“Dingy, dirty and no better than a hostel.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Royal Kings Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Kings Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Market Street, Lancaster LA1 1HP, England   |
Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Lancaster
“Dingy, dirty and no better than a hostel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

In the hotel room whilst writing this. Asked the hotel whilst booking if room service was available as I'm 6 months pregnant with a toddler to find that it wasn't after we arrived.

The bathroom has damp, the bed and the carpet are covered in long dark hair (I'm blonde), the furniture is knackered and very old and there is no personality to the room at all. I've stayed in better guest houses in Blackpool/Morecambe for a lot less money.

Aside from the room, the communal areas of the hotel are well kept and quite welcoming, except that all the house plants seem to be dead or dying. This annoys me further as its all just a huge lie.

The only resolution that has been offered up to now is a room change which I don't deem to be acceptable as this offer was made after 19:00. My 23 month old son was by then asleep.

I will be demanding a refund in the morning and would only recommend this hotel if you happened to be away on a drinking weekend with friends and so needed somewhere to doss at the end of the night.

• Stayed December 2012
Beverley S, Manager at Royal Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you found your room unacceptable. We have always stated in the past that people who are unhappy with their room should contact reception immediately in order that we can resolve the issues that they raise in a timely manner. It is regrettable to me that you took the time to write response in the room before contacting a duty manager as they may have been able to help you before your son went to bed had they known of your uspet beforehand. It is also regrettable that you chose to spend the night in a room you were unhappy with and refused any form of help from the hotel staff, had you allowed us to help you may have found you had a different experience.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
preston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked this hotel even after reading a lot of negative reviews because I am not averse to a room that is shabby but with character. Unfortunately I did find our visit quite disappointing. We needed help on finding a place to park, and rang the hotel four times, but without an answer. We eventualy parked and walked quite a distance to the hotel, to be greeted with an empty reception. We used the reception phone to contact a member of staff who eventually came down and checked us in. Her name was Kelly, and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that she wasn`t very smiley. She did however seem to be quite harried as she appeared to be alone and extremely busy. Curt manner aside, she did promptly deliver on our request for a fan (our room was very hot)
Out room was the most disappointing thing about the hotel. It was utterly soul-less, with none of the grandeur or character of the rest of the building. It could have been a £15 a night room in any old shabby building. Just worn and chipped furniture, peeling paper and eighties curtains. Very depressing.The bathroom was functional but when I went in in the early hours, I saw two silverfish bugs crawling along the skirting board. I then spent the rest of the night feeling like I had bugs on me, so didn`t really sleep, but it was too late in the night to complain as my daughter was asleep.
The next morning we went to the dining room for breakfast and we were really cheered up by the beautiful dining room. There were plenty of breakfast choices and what we had was very nicely cooked. The two ladies serving were absolutely lovely and really helpful.
To sum up, if I was having a function, I believe this would be a great place to hold it, but I don`t believe that the rooms were worth more than £25 a night. I know the management believe that the price reflects that it is a beautiful building in need of some upgrading, but when inside the room there is no hint that the customer is in a beautiful old place, it`s just grim and weary. I wouldn`t stay again.

Room Tip: Apparently the hotel does have parking, but find out how to access it well in advance of your stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews on trip advisor I was a little worried about staying in this hotel! But I was made up with everything about it. The beautiful big and light dining room, excellent breakfast. The hotel itself it full of character and has been kept that way. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Our room was big and warm with a fab view of the castle. Everywhere was clean. I think if your looking for a hotel that is modern where everything is perfectly decorated and new, stay in a premier inn. Our room was cleaned with plenty of tea coffee and biscuits, everything worked well and lift was one of the best original features! Thank you to all staff who made our stay very enjoyable. :-)

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for listing your views on the Hotel. The Hotel is a 17th century Grade 2 property and I am delighted that some fo the original features shone through for you. I couldn't agree with your comments more- if people want a modern Hotel then we are not the place to stay, however, if they want a good price for a room centrally located with staff that have a real passion for the building then we are the Hotel to choose.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Booked in for one night, great value for money. Breakfast included within price.
Room clean and tidy, great shower over bath ..... Better than ours at home! Bed comfortable and the linen was fresh and clean.

Staff very friendly and helpful, a credit to the company.

Yes the hotel isn't the most modern in respect of furniture or decoration, but I think this adds to its character. For the price excellent value, would and will be returning.

Thanks

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for posting a response on Trip Advisor- it always nice to hear that people have enjoyed their time here especially in the age of social media. Our staff all work hard in a traditional property to ensure guests expectations are reached. I'm sure all the staff will be happy when they read your reponse as constant negativity can have a negative impact on people.
PERTHSHIRE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just home from a 2 night stay .

Very nicely priced for a twin room for 2 nights (thank you late rooms)

Nice old building with lots of period features , breakfast room was lovely as was the food thanks to the lovely ( girl with the cool piercing on her lips )

Rooms where nice and clean and the beds where very comfortable .

The girl on check in was so helpful and polite .

How ever there was a girl called Kerry on reception and she was not nice, not helpful and was rather rude , such a shame as it put a downer on the stay , she should try a welcome host or a change of job , as that girl had no customer service at all ..

Room Tip: very good service apart from that rude girl on both days ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel really is in need of some tender loving care - yes the room was warm and clean and for one night It was acceptable. It could be so nice the hotel reeks potential and the staff did try very hard but my thoughts are next time in Lancaster try another hotel - shame

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel away from the very noisy traffic at night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is the location! I wish I had listened to the reviews and paid a little more and got a better hotel! We were greeted by an empty reception, then 1 member of staff announced she was "just going for a cig!" and shouted for someone else to check us in! First impressions and all that! The initial look of the reception is ok, a bit bland and no atmosphere, however the lift is horrid, covered in dust - and I mean covered! I noticed a table outside a function room on the way to our room, it had crumbs, stains and smears all over the cloth, unsurprisingly the same mess was still there when we checked out! Just little things disappointed us, we're no means fussy, the room was freezing when we arrived, so we dropped our bags and went out for a few hours - after an afternoon exploring the city, we wanted to come back to our cosy room - only to enter the same freezing room, and upon calling reception only to be told the heating will only come on at 5pm! The staff definately don't have the attitude of going the extra mile to please! Oh and beware of the scaffolding that covers the entire front of the hotel, we actually walked past the hotel and missed it upon arriving in Lancaster - we were never told of the building work when we booked! It's an old building but it has no charm that we were expecting, a big disappointment. When we get disappointment from something you were looking forward too, you notice all the little other faults that you may have overlooked if your experience had been better - the rips on the carpet, the dried/dying plants on the stairs, the bad DIY in the bathrooms. Honestly I never complain but I can't help feeling I should have listened to the warnings!

• Stayed October 2012
OHIML, General Manager at Royal Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for posting for your review. As always it would have been far more beneficial if you had contacted myself or a duty manager throughout your stay so that we could speak to you personally and address your concerns at the time of your stay. We simply do not tolerate poor customer service and would have very stern words with any receptionist who failed to deliver the expected levels of service. However, it is difficult to know who this is as you failed to mention your issues at the time of your stay. The scaffolding that was up at the time of your stay was there for essential improvements to the building. Our lift, as previously mentioned in responses, is one of the hotel’s periodic features, the lift shaft is an open iron structure that we do of course clean however, inevitably in between cleans the lift shaft by its nature attracts dust. The lift itself is certainly not dusty. Our heating is scheduled to come on twice a day for a total of 12 hours, for those that find this is not enough we have heaters available to guests and this is detailed in every guest bedroom directory. It was disappointing to read that you disapprove of the way the maintenance person has attempted to improve the bathrooms, however I stand by this member of staff as he works tirelessly in this hotel.

Been to Royal Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!