“Good hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
london
“Good hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. Nice room, excellent staff. Breakfast first morning very busy and chaotic. Good location and near motorway. Perfect stop off on way to Scotland. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AK_HILancs, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lancaster, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear bobo1973

Thank you very much for leaving feedback for others. It pleases us enormously that we met your expectations with regard to service and standards and hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

AngelaK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had a warm welcome from Scott, but this was because he'd mistaken me of someone else. After that, there was no recognition of my Platinum level membership in the IHG club. No offer of a welcome drink, no room upgrade, no newspaper, no better toiletries, no checking whether we wanted dinner or breakfast. Shame as this was a total contrast to the lovely service experienced in the same week at the Holiday Inn in East Kilbride. The staff couldn't have been more helpful there and even welcomed us with a complimentary bottle of wine! Swimming pool here was nice but a bit warm. The location is handy for Lancaster and the M6. Also there is a Brewer's Fayre just across the road. Very good curry served there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AK_HILancs, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lancaster, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear WouldGoAgain

Thank you kindly for your constructive feedback. Your care to make us aware of our shortfalls is much appreciated as we take feedback very seriously.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is the second time we have visited the Holiday Inn in Lancaster, first time we asked to be moved to a back room no trouble at all, we asked when we returned to have a back room the girl at reception said she would but she never put it down after being asked twice, so this time we arrived, no we could not have a room at the rear, but I said that's what we requested, this was to no avail, so we had a room at the front which my partner had trouble sleeping as she is a light sleeper. the evening meals & breakfast are fine.

If you wish to take a walk down by the river turn left walk about 1/2 a mile you come across an aqueduct, over the river carrying the Lancaster Canal well worth a look at.

Room Tip: Chose a room at the back
Dear rogthehat

We are sorry that we were unable to allocate you a room at the rear of the hotel, especially after you had specifically asked. We do appreciate you highlighting your experience as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Having read previous reviews I was aware that this particular hotel didn't necessarily have the most positive of reviews ..... However I am one of those who are wholly aware that people are quick to write a review containing negative feedback yet not so quick to post positive reviews .......

Upon arrival I was impressed with the clean reception area, beautiful well main genes plants AND friendly welcoming reception staff.
Just what was needed after a 4 hour journey.

Upon entering the twin exec bedroom we had booked I noted that the room had only been made for one person rather than two ..... A quick call to reception, once again greeted with a voice of kindness and apology, the room was exceptionally quickly rectified by a male porter, once again being apologetic.
An easy oversight, especially considering that many clients were possibly staying here due to graduation ceremonies happening at Lancaster university (which was also the reason for my stay too).

We ordered room service.
A club sandwich, accompanied with chips and a cheesecake.
We were correct in thinking that the portions would be HUGE and managed (only just) to polish off our food.
The lady who brought the tray to our room was a delight, ever so cheerful ad once again polite and friendly.

After a much needed sleep, we awoke early for our breakfast.

The choice was vast and something for pretty much available to meet all diners requirements.
I did more that the scrambled egg had seasoning already in it .... Ewwww not to my likening ..... So I asked the chef if he could possibly whip some up without the seasoning, which he did. How kind was that!!! He could have grumped off acted begrudgingly however he didn't and was more than happy to do this for me :)

Te waitressing staff at breakfast time were also so lovely. Bright, bubbly and exceptionally tentative. What more could a customer possibly want???

I prebooked a table for later that evening, a table for 6.
Must admit the food wasn't as yummy as breakfast however I now know, for future reference, that possibly exploring the Lancaster area may have given me more choices for an exceptional dining experience.
The food wasn't bad, please don't get me wrong, just simply not to my parties likening.

Another comfortable evening of sleep in our clean, refreshed and newly supplied bedroom was had.

The ladies who tidy the rooms in the morning are the most adorable team I have ever met!!!! Once more the theme of being friendly was extended to these ladies.

Upon leaving we felt as though ..... In comparison to the £500 + per night stay hotels we usually opt for ..... The staff are worth more than their weight in gold!!! What a superb assert they are!!! .....
Usually in the stuffy pretentious places I have stayed the level of service is nowhere near the standard of what we received here :))
Yes, the rooms are bigger, yes the quality of food is better (marginally for breakfast) however the service at other hotels .... Nothing has bet compared to this place ad at a faith of the cost too!!!

All in all .... Thank you for making me and my super mummy so welcome, comfortable and actually cared for too

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Smurf197

What a fantastic review - thank you very much. One of the qualities we instil in our team members is to deliver excellent quality service with a genuine, personal touch and I am glad that this is what you experienced from all our team members. I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here this week first time in ages.
Still decent, rooms are bigger than most , room service food acceptable as was Breakfast.
No frills about hotel but staff are friendly and hotel does what it needs to, free WI-FI as well, good on them!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Trigger131186487

I am glad your stay with us met with your expectations, and the staff were welcoming and professional.

Bourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

For the purpose of my review bias, for the last 11 years I have stayed approximately 100 nights a year in the Intercontinental / Holiday Inn Group chain.
I have stayed at this hotel twice in past 6 months ( last 8th July 2013).
My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows:

1) Arrival is easy using the Sat Nav and post code address instructions
2) On arrival at the hotel the check in staff were pleasant and friendly.
3) On arrival as a Holiday Inn Platinum Priority Club member, I received an instant upgrade to an executive room on my second stay, not my first
4) As a special note, the reception desk has a special sign, which warns patrons of when the busy times for breakfast time are. On both of my visits for both social and business needs I have fell foul of their busy breakfast times
5) All area’s including the bedrooms where always well kept, tidy and clean (even when busy)

6) The rooms are what you would expect from a modern Holiday Inn. SEE the photos
7) As of the 1st July 13 Platinum members receive free BASIC WiFi (256K speed only). This was next to useless in real practice e-mail was poor and so was web browsing. So it looks like we will still all have to pay.
8) I have had problems in getting breakfast in the past, as the hotel seems to do a roaring trade in Tour Coach Holidays, so if you time it incorrectly the breakfast area swells with bus loads of tourist jostling to eat and get back on their bus. The breakfast food is the standard chain variety of “catering quality” sausages, bacon, egg’s etc
9) Check out, was straight forward and hassle free.
In summary the hotel scores 3.5/5 for an average Holiday Inn that needs better free Wi-Fi for loyal members

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
AK_HILancs, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lancaster, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear theresaheadinit

I am sorry that you were not wholly satisfied with our breakfast - this is a shame as we have won awards for our breakfast. Guests can choose from a wide range of cooked items at our full English buffet, with everything from sausages and bacon, to grilled tomatoes, hash browns and black pudding. Or if you fancy a lighter option, there's a fully stocked cereal bar, which includes a variety of fresh fruit, yoghurt, and unlimited juice. And don't forget the pancakes, with a choice of toppings!

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our second stay here was just as good as our first last Sept. This time our room faced the back of the hotel although it overlooked a large rooftop and I asked if we could have a different room. Both Liva ( ?) and Scott were very obliging and having looked through the computer showed us another room. Unfortunately it had a connecting door and we decided to stay put.
There is lots of free parking here but the wifi is chargeable.
We went down for dinner on our first night as this was included but we were disappointed by the menu this time and although our starters and sweets were delicious the main course of coronation chicken was below par. Unlike our previous visit where we ate in the hotel on the second night we went into Lancaster and ate here instead. Breakfast was varied and plenty and although there were tour groups in we did not have any problems with waiting times or buffet issues. I have one major gripe as far as the restaurant goes and that is the discretionary charge applied to the bill for a staff tip. To be honest if I am given good service I will tip what I think is appropriate and am not happy about a 10% charge being added automatically.
After staying here we went on to another Holiday Inn and although we did not enjoy our stay as much as we did at the Lancaster one we were impressed that we were acknowledged as card holders and offered the snack basket. It is a minor thing but it makes a big impression. We have yet to be acknowledged at Lancaster or any where else.

Dear ScotlandJules

Thank you kindly for your taking the time to feed back on your stay with us at Holiday Inn Lancaster. We do regularly review what we offer on the menu in the restaurant so hopefully next time you stay with us it will be more to your liking!

AngelaK

Been to Holiday Inn Lancaster? Share your experiences!