“avoid if you want some sleep” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Green Lane | Ellel, Lancaster LA1 4GJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“avoid if you want some sleep”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am lying on my bed in this hotel longing for earplugs. The rear of the hotel is a couple of hundred yards from a huge student campus accommodation full of noisy students, including their car park from which cars are roaring up and down. Had I known I should be so close to hundreds of students I would never have come there. There is no air conditioning in the room and so I have had to open the window, but the level of noise from the student campus outside would penetrate anyway. Also, no lift in the building, thin walls, tired furnishings and in no way a normal 4* hotel. Never again - longing for the morning when I can leave and get some peace.

Room Tip: don;t get a room at the back where all the student houses and car park are.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I am sorry you experienced a disturbed nights sleep.

As you will see from the rest of the reviews, noise from the nearby university is not normally an issue for us here, otherwise I am sure this would be reflected in other TA reviews.

That particular evening must have been an isolated incident and I can only apologise that you didn't get the sleep you naturally expected.

I would just like to re-iterate for your benefit and the TA community that, as and when problems arise, our team always address them straight away. I am sure that had you contacted reception, an alternative room would have been found for you within a few moments and we would have also addressed the noise issue with the security at the University.

Once again, I am sorry you didn't get the good night's sleep that the vast majority of our guests enjoy.

Regards

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. The pool is great, the rooms well equipped and in the main the staff are friendly (the reception staff during checkout this time were pretty 'snippy' to be honest, but she just needs a sit down and a talking to about looking after customers).

The food is pretty good - and the bar staff were very friendly (introduced my to Lancaster Black, a good recommendation).

The grounds are good and it's convenient to the Uni. The approach through the gates is superior and the staff at the pool are extremely helpful. I can't praise those guys in particular, highly enough.

Only criticism was the bed - it was big but wasnt great quality and the pillows were small - but a small criticism. enough to just knock off the perfect score.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for the review following your recent stays with us.

Glad to hear that, overall you enjoyed your stay.

I note your helpful remarks about the reception service and the pillows which I will be looking into personally to correct these shortcomings.

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

A nice hotel with fantastic staff. Treated very well the moment we arrived. The food was excellent and some nice red wines. A little expensive but you get what you pay for I suppose. I would def stay again and recommend to anyone who needs to stay in the area. 35mins from Blackpool and 20 min from Morcombe. Nice pool with good gym.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the great review.

Delighted you enjoyed your stay, and the wines of course. We mainly do only buy from small, family-owned wine-houses. But we believe that the quality is far better than the price-led, high volume wines one can often find in many hotel's and restaurants.

Thanks for the tip on the local attractions too. I know the TA community always appreciate good advice like this.

My gratitude once again for the review.

Durham,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Excellent location within walking distance to the university. We stayed there over University induction weekend at excellent rates. The staff were v efficient, helpful and v friendly while the room could not be faulted in anyway (room 25 was v quiet). Will definitely go back again in the next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review.

Glad you found our hotel not only handy, but very friendly too. It's nice to be welcomed in a warm manner when visiting a new place. Lancaster is one of the friendliest cities I've ever known, and the local people so genuine and helpful. It's a pleasure to work with so many of them.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon

shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night after taking our daughter to uni, and plan to make it our first choice on all our visits, spotlessly clean and spacious room, Hugh comfy bed, lovely reception area with a log fire, partner enjoyed the pool, sauna and hot tub,and the breakfast was amazing, great choice and good quality ingredients, polite competent staff, looking forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the great review.

Glad you managed to stay with us on what is always one of the busiest weeks of the year.

We're really handy for the University, and I'm sure your daughter is going to love Lancaster.

As you are family of a Lancaster University student, if you have not done so already, please ensure you sign up for our "Unite" scheme which entitles you to discounts and special offers exclusive to the university.

I hope we can welcome you back soon, and as a little tip, when you daughter graduates, do remember to book very early indeed. Alas, we only have 99 bedrooms, and I'm sure you can imagine, there's a very high demand in the area that week.

Thanks again for the review.

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed here to visit my brother who studies in Lancaester university. Great location for this propose. 10-15mins bus ride to the city center. Beautiful and cozy reception area, nice bar at the ground floor, clean rooms, welcoming staffs.. Everything was great. I will recommend my parents to stay next time they visit Lancaster, and i myself would love to stay here again at my next visit :)

Room Tip: If you are coming to visit Lancaster university, here is the place you should stay. 2mins walk to th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great review.

I was delighted to learn you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities so much.

Hopefully we can welcome you and your parents back to Lancaster again soon.

Munster, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I would definately recommend this hotel. The rooms were large and beds extremely comfortable. The bar was great and we had food served in there which was delicious. Used the hotel pool which was great for a quick morning swim and afterwards a really nice breakfast.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the ground floor and I can only judge these. I have no complaints whatsoever.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you kindly for the great review following your recent stay.

Delighted to learn that you enjoyed your visit, and also appreciated our great beds. We're very proud of them.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon

Tim Bell, General Manager

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!