“Excellent hotel with a few nice extras.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Green Lane | Ellel, Lancaster LA1 4GJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel with a few nice extras.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place had everything that a good 4* hotel needs:
Nice, well-sized rooms with decent tea, toiletries etc.
A spacious bathroom, which was absolutely spotless!
Free broadband.
Friendly and very efficient staff.
Excellent breakfast.
Spa area.
etc. etc.

But what makes this hotel special are the little extras like a bar that serves draught local ales and an open fireplace in the lobby.

Depending on what you want to do, the only downside could be the location because the hotel is on the University campus outside town. However, if you visit the University the location could not be better and for everyone else the is a good bus connection into town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Many thanks indeed for the glowing review following your recent stay with us here at Lancaster House.

I'm glad that you noticed the "little extras" that set any good hotel apart in my opinion. A glass of good, local ale in front of a roaring fire is certainly hard to beat!

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are planning another visit, and I will ensure you have another relaxing stay.

Tim Bell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Chorley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is easy to get to location wise and is well decorated and maintained both in public areas and bedrooms. The food and service is second to none, well worth a stay if you are just in Lancaster for pleasure or if you are looking for somewhere to stay for business then heres the place for you!

Room Tip: The suites are of a very high standard and reasonably priced
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting a positive review following your recent stay with us here at Lancaster House.

Delighted you found our food and service second to none, and you also managed to stay in one of our superb luxury suites.

If we can tempt you to return again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have visited lancaster house on many occasions and we are always highly satisfied, We feel very much at home but with the added bonus of having luxury.
Twice we stayed in the suites which are excellent value for money, they have lots of room and the bathroom has a free standing bath which is added luxury.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite , they are very plush !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting a great review following your recent stays with us here at Lancaster House.

I'm glad you've fallen in love with our suites. They're certainly worth the little extra in my opinion.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will try and ensure you have another fantastic stay.

Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Would recommend this hotel to anyone and look forward to a return visit. The hotel is very comfortable with lots of group seating in the reception area.
Good decor throughout the hotel and the bedrooms (1 standard and 1 suite) were very well appointed, spotless with a comfortable king-sized beds, and a good size. I thought the the iced water dispensers along the corridors an excellent idea. We made use of the leisure facilities - a bonus particularly the outside hot tub.The staff were attentive and friendly and coped with a very busy Sunday morning breakfast professionally and efficiently. We ate one evening in the restaurant and one evening in the bar. The menu choice suited us and the food recommended.
Well done to management and staff for getting it right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks indeed for posting such a positive review following your recent stay with us here at Lancaster House.

I was delighted that you, like the vast majority of our guests, enjoyed your stay, particularly the food and the friendly team here.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will try and ensure you have another great stay.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is satisfactory but no more. The rooms are more cramped than they seem in the pictures and seemed a bit dreary. The bar food was the worst we have ever had, and two of our meals were left pretty well untouched (and we are not fussy). Breakfast was much better with a pleasant selection of cooked options and cereals, fruits and so on. However the vegetarian sausages/ bacon were not well cooked. .The hotel takes dogs but I think they should have rooms specially allocated for customers who want pets and those who would prefer not to stay in a room that had ever had pets.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks indeed for posting a review following your recent stay with us here.

I am sorry that it appears we didn't meet all of your individual expectations. I was particularly disappointed that you didn't appear to enjoy our bar food, which as I'm sure you will read from the majority of other reviews here, is well received by our guests.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future to try and restore some more faith in our hotel. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will try and ensure you have a much more happier stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was treated to a romantic evening out on Saturday 29 September and could not fault the staff, the meal and the exceptional service. Best restaurant in Lancaster by far. Thank you Lancaster House Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for posting such a great review following your recent evening with us at Lancaster House.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your meal and the service in the Foodworks Restaurant.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will ensure you have another great experience.

Bury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night for a wedding reception and were very impressed. Hotel is situated right next to Lancaster University (don't worry - there is a fence and big gates!), set back from the main road in fields. The hotel felt very comfortable and welcoming as soon as we walked through the door, with a lovely open fire in the lobby, and the staff were attentive and friendly.
We had a sandwich in the bar (good value and very well presented), and had the breakfast buffet the next morning - good choice of continental and cooked, with other options like kippers and haddock cooked to order, and as many tea/coffee refills as you liked.
Nice decor throughout, and the room was very well appointed, spotless with a comfortable king-sized bed, plenty of space and storage and a bathroom you could actually move around in.
The hotel makes much of its 'green' credentials and their charity support, and credit to them for that - an example was no bottled water in the rooms (you could ask for some if you really wanted it), but a carafe and plenty of iced water dispensers along the corridors.
We would definitely stay again, and next time make use of the leisure facilities too - thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks indeed for posting such a positive review following your recent one night stay with us here.

I will of course share your feedback with the whole team here, who always enjoy reading the feedback they receive.

I am also delighted you noticed all the hard work we undertake to ensure we meet and exceed our carbon reduction targets and our responsibility to our environment and community. Our work on this front will always continue as we aim to lead the way in this field.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will ensure you have another great stay.

Tim Bell

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!