“Fantastic meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kismet

Kismet
11 Spencer Street | Leamington spa Warwickshire cv31 3ne, Leamington Spa, England
01926 428533
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 190 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: This is a gem in Leamington Spa. All the locals will visit this Indian restaurant over all others and I am surprised that they are not on here.
York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Had a large family meal at this venue Saturday evening. Food was superb. Staff were friendly and attentive. Will definitely return. Best Indian in Warwickshire

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Warwickshire
“Something has gone very wrong - the attitude stinks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I used to use this restaurant quite a bit as the food and service were always very good - a cut above the normal run of the mill fare. However my recent experience (and having witnessed it for others too) has completely put me off from using this restaurant ever again.

I ordered a takeaway dinner with a Chicken Goan main. The dish came in basically an incredibly sweet semolina sauce - nothing like the menu's description. It was inedible. However we were so busy going away that we had no time to complain and return to the restaurant. After my return from holiday I complained and the person I spoke to was completely unapologetic saying that he could only consider anything if I'd complained straight away.

I've since witnessed a very similar event with a friend who ordered a different dish but also got this incredibly sweet concoction - again nothing like the menu description. They did complain at the time but the person refused to consider any form of solution. I had hoped my experience was isolated but it seems that this place has gone very badly wrong.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Midlands
“VERY slow, inconsistent service. Nice food but avoid busy nights!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Inconsistent service
I've noted the polarised views for this restaurant (including a recent review saying the bad reviews are 'scandalous'). After dining here, I think it's fair to say different people will have VERY different experiences here based on who serves them. I went here on a Friday evening with some friends (table of 6) and I believe I got to experience both ends of the customer service scale at Kismet so please take this is a balanced review.

Getting our table
We turned up when our table was supposed to be ready and after 15 minutes of waiting around by the entrance, we were ushered to our table at the back of the restaurant, only to be sent back again (what I now refer to as the "Kismet Shuffle") as the table wasn't actually ready. Shortly after, we were shown to our table, this time with nothing set but the empty table cloth.

How long until we get to order?
We finally sat down at around 9pm. The next hour was only what can be described as farcical! We sat around for about 10-15 mins before we had to start flagging down the waiters to order. Only our drinks and poppadoms orders were taken at first, with the odd wrong drink served in between - it was all pretty disorganised. We must have asked to order food at least 2-3 times. This is all whilst they are sporadically handing out items to set the table. By 10pm, we finally had cutlery and napkins and were asked what we wanted to order!

The menu and host
So we were all getting a little frustrated at this point, but the main host (Sean?) managed to redeem the service a little by giving us a few menu suggestions according to our individual tastes. We all ordered set menus, which included a choice of any starter, main, naan and rice for £16.25. This is pretty good value if you go for one of the expensive starters like the Chooka (layers of lamb, chicken, prawn and potato).

The food
The Chooka I had was quite nice (although it had taken nearly 90 minutes for our starters to come so hunger could have been a factor). My friend's samosa starter on the other hand looked a bit sorry - I've attached a photo of the dish. The main courses were decent portion sizes and pretty tasty (I had a Methiwala lamb, which was nicely flavoured). However, it was served a shocking 2 hours after we sat down at our table.

Overall
We finally left the restaurant at 1145pm, a mere 3 hours after we first entered the restaurant. To be fair, the main host was excellent when he came to take our order, showing lots of knowledge of the menu and promising us extra large portions to make up for the slow service. Sadly, we only saw him once - the rest of the 'team' really do let down the restaurant. They were disorganised, disinterested and generally frustrating. The food was nice, but taking 3 hours to do a dinner service in a curry house is pretty poor for a table of six. I would personally avoid this restaurant on a Friday/Saturday night as they are not organised enough to cope with the demand - on a less busy night I can imagine this would be a much more pleasurable dining experience worth 4 or 5 stars. Thank goodness I was amongst the great company of my friends!

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Stop what you are doing and go to Kismet. Now.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Last night, I went for my third visit to the very best Indian Leamington Spa can offer. Tucked away from the bustle of the Parade, Kismet is something of a hidden gem. The bad reviews on this page are scandalous, and I would like to put the record straight for this professional, friendly, charming restaurant that always seems to best my expectations.

If you expect a couple of naan and your usual chicken tikka, you'd be a fool. Kismet offers a unique service called The Indian Experience (or Gold Set Menu, at £16.95 a head) which will educate you about what good Indian food SHOULD be. Put those menus down and listen to your waiter. This is why I continually return to Kismet, and why the standard of their food always amazes:

1) The food is a surprise. Imagine a straining table filled with more delicious and complex dishes you could ever name, and now double it. You never get the same array of dishes twice, because the food is TAILORED to your group's preferences. Sean, as host, waiter and Indian food connoisseur, walks you through a truly divine choice of gourmet starter dishes that combine flavours from each and every dish he plans to provide for the main. To say his explanation is like watching a performer is not an over-statement. Every time I've visited, he's remembered my preferences and delivered his set menu recommendations with flair and dignity.

2) The dishes are taste sensations and glorious pieces of art. My favourite starter is a six-layered stack of lamb, prawn, chicken and the most delicious sauces, decorated with artistry and care. By taking a bite of EVERY layer (Sean insists) you realise this restaurant is reinventing everything you dared to label "Indian". My first-timer friends were amazed. I cannot accurately describe the taste in words. A melody of savoury delight in every mouthful comes close. The main, as I said earlier, is a vast selection of choice dishes that when consumed all at once recreate the starter. But if you sample the dishes one by one, or dare to combine two or even three dishes, it's not a melody but a symphony of brilliant food.

3) Sean, your host, will look after you with great dedication and experience, and will welcome you back again and again. Brilliant service from a man who seems always on his feet to help you with a smile. He is always lively, courteous and attentive, with an artist's attention to detail. A true host to the last.

I understand if you think I'm exaggerating, but if I've even slightly peaked your interest, just trust me and visit Kismet to see for yourself. You won't be disappointed. The food, value and service are top notch, and you will always think of Indian in a completely different way. It is the new fusion cuisine I now expect from my curries.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Just excellent all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here yesterday and it was a lovely evening. The food is divine, the atmosphere is great and the service is beyond excellent!

They offer something called the "gold set menu", where you let the staff choose your dishes according to your preferences. Trust me, they do a great job of it: I have never had a better Indian meal simply because I could never match the flavours so well!

Highly recommended.