“Warm & welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Ceredigion
“Warm & welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Unusually for me I didn't read the Tripadvisor reviews before booking, so I had no idea what to expect. Luckily, The Lansdowne proved to be a good choice. Our room was a decent size, clean and nicely decorated, as long as you don't mind big bright flowers all over the place!! I was a bit worried that we might be disturbed by traffic noise but I slept really well. Maybe that was because the bed was so comfortable.
I wish there had been some biscuits on the tea-tray, but that's just a small gripe and I have to say that it's the only hotel/guest house where I have ever found plasters supplied in the bath room. A thoughtful touch for those of us who tend to wear unsuitable shoes sometimes.......
It's within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants, so is well positioned. It's pity the ''car park'' is only big enough for 4 vehicles, but permits are available so it's not too much of a problem.
Breakfast was good and varied and the staff were very helpful, particularly Ben the manager.
If we need to stay in Leamington again I would be happy to return to the Lansdowne.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure of off street parking then this is one to avoid.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Spalding, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We booked a triple room for 2 nights and specified 3 single beds. When we arrived the room had 1 double and 1 single bed. As we were expecting 3 singles we were disappointed. When we spoke to the manager we were told that this hotel does not provide a triple room with 3 singles. We pointed out that on the web site it states that it does, we were informed that we should have telephoned to double check with them first. After much discussion, during which time we were constantly told that the mistake was our fault, he finally agreed to give us a £20 refund and we were told we could spend it on drinks! Apart from this, the hotel is clean and the breakfast was fine. The car park is tiny to say the least, but they do provide permits to park on the road. Because of our unfortunate experience with the manager, we would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you book 3 single beds - you won't get them!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had originally booked at the Episode but they had overbooked and booked me into the Landsdowne . Managed to get a parking space although they were limited . Hotel was dated and the only room available was a single - don't believe this was the hotels fault . Room was very basic with no bath and the shower was basically just a plinth with a shower curtain around it . Nevertheless it was clean and I had a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast . Don't think I'd go back but it was OK as a budget B&B . Staff were friendly and polite - unlike the Episode .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

have tried a few hotels in Leamington, we found the Leamington to be a bit smarter than some. The room was well equipped, and the staff were friendly and well organised. The lack of parking was not a problem as we found a space just in front of the hotel and were supplied with a permit. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dover, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Having chosen the hotel purely for its location, and read some other reviews, I must say my expectations were not high. How wrong I was!

Ben, the receptionist on duty when we arrived (early) was very gracious and allowed us to leave the car in the (admittedly small) car park while we went to lunch before checking in. The room (8) was very clean and good sized with a tv on Freeview- fine. Bathroom must be almost brand new, with an excellent power shower.

Lots of nice little detail touches like cotton buds in the toiletry tray. Good quality fluffy towels.

Breakfast pretty good, particularly tasty bacon which I suspect comes from the excellent butcher round the corner. Lots of choice of cereals and fruit, perhaps the coffee pots could be heated prior to putting the coffee in, as it went cold pretty fast. Very polite Polish (?) waitress.

Those reviewers who complained about the facilities should note that the Lansdowne's rating is as guest accommodation, not a hotel rating and should be judged accordingly. Those who think it's a bit dated should realise that it is actually a Regency building. That means it's 200 years old, people! Relax and enjoy the history and period features, along with Ben's friendly hospitality.

I give it a score of five out of five even though as a former B&B owner myself, I am hard to please and know what to look for. Highly recommended, good value and we shall be back.

• Stayed January 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Situated right in the heart of Leamington Spa and priced right this hotel cannot fail.

On arrival you will find the entrance to the car park off a side street which is one way, very difficult to get in and out.

The car park is very tight my car was scraped by someone trying to get in or out, failed to notice until hours later.

The lad at reception Ben was very helpful and pleasant and could not have done more to assist.

The hotel is very clean the single room was a bit tight but ok for one night.

The breakfast was superb with the plate being loaded with the full English, a great start to the day.

Eating out I recommend the five rivers on Victoria terrace a fantastic curry can be had here.

The town centre is only a ten minute walk and is worth a visit.

I would stay here again but park the car elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel is not exactly fresh, but its genuinely friendly and polite staff make the stay pleasant.

It is one of the very few hotels in the centre of Leamington Spa, its location is probably a good reason to stay here too.

Breakfast was okay, eggs cooked to order was nice!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!