“Bizarre Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 Preston B&B and Inns
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Bizarre Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We booked this through toptown deals so paid roughly half price and I'm glad that we didn't pay full price.

From the outside the Kenlis Arms looks quite impressive, it's a lovely building and very easy to find, the decor inside is slightly dated and we didn't receive a very warm welcome, checking people in seemed to be a burden.

To get to the rooms you have to walk past the owners living quarters - if you are allergic to dog or don't like the smell of dog take a big breath as you leave the bar and don't exhale until you reach your room, the owners have a gorgeous St. Bernard, however, the smell is overwhelming. The stairwell was cluttered with extras for the rooms and the landing outside the room was littered with extra bedding and toilet rolls - not very aesthetically pleasing.

The room itself was a pleasant surprise, spacious, well decorated and spotless, not a hint of the dog smell. The bathroom was well equipped, spacious but a little dated, perfectly functional though. In the room there were two heaters which were on when we arrived so the room was preheated, there was extra bedding and a sofa which was nice addition. The refreshments provided were plentiful and the mugs provided were a decent size and you could help yourself to more tea and coffee from a cupboard if you needed too. The bed was extremely comfortable, there were several lighting options and plenty of mirrors and storage.

The location of the venue is perfect for getting to and from Garstang. Less than a 8 minute drive so not to pricey in a cab if you opted for that. The Kenlis Arms is a pub and so we expected some noise, the music is quite loud until around midnight, we struglled to sleep a little but this may be because we were directly above the bar, I imagine in one of the other rooms this wouldn't have been a problem.

Breakfast in the morning - cereal and juice provided as standard and there was a good selection however for the cooked breakfast there were no menus and when asked if we would like breakfast we weren't given an option of what was provided so we had to guess. The food was well cooked and clearly they had used good quality ingredients, the only critisim I had was that it was quite fatty. Noticed on the way out that the kitchen wasnt particularly well kept and looking online wasn't surprised to see a food hygiene rating of 3.

The staff were not very friendly and when we came to check out we couldn't find anybody so left our key under the stairs with the visitor book.

• Stayed February 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed with my partner a while back in August. We stayed to meet some friends who are keen boaters. From outside the place looked great, upon walking in I felt that i'd gone back in time. I was greeted by a number a of locals sat at the bar watching TV who stared at me like I had two heads.

The land lady quickly found me and lead us to our room. As she walked us through the hall I was hit by the smell of dog which was rather worrying, however that unpleasantness was short lived as the room itself was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable and room was massive. The tall ceilings and sash windows gave the room a feeling of space and it was great to have sunlight pouring through the windows in the morning.

I had asked the landlady to leave a bucket of ice for a bottle of champagne I was bringing and she kindly laid on some strawberries free of charge. The landlady herself was pleasant, gave us a key to the front door and didn't mind us coming in pissed in the early hours. Regardless of the poor first impressions, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Kenlis Arms, and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lytham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We've really enjoyed all our weekends at the Kenlis Arms. We moor up just through the bridge on The Lancaster Canal. It was that good on our first visit we had breakfast in the morning and returned for dinner in the evening! The menu changes weekly with specials and two course deals on certain days. All food is home made - Andrea and Alice cook as it should be cooked - fresh and from the heart. Alice baked mince pies especially for us - the best I've ever tasted - we took a dozen home! Terry looks after liquid refreshment and runs a tidy bar full of characters. Rooms are also available - comfortable and homely. Visit with your eyes open - check the Tea pot collection! Had a great night at the Ha Ha Comedy Club evening - next night 7th Dec 2012.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our final boating day and as we had covered ground quicker than we had expected we decided to make a stop here. The thought of a ploughmans and a pint seemed a great idea to two of us, and as we saw the banner for the pub at the canal side we decided to moor up.

The pub is not exactly on the canal bank. In fact you have to cross a narrow bridge and go under a railway bridge all with no path. It looks great from the outside, but when you get in it is cluttered.

I ordered drinks and asked if food was being served, as the dining area had no lights turned on. "Well I am on my own today" was the reply before the being told what was and what was not on the menu. I took the menu through to my friends, who had made their way to the games area, and explained and then went for a comfort break. The men's room was horrible, with one of the urinals covered in a bin liner. I was later told that the lady's was completely the reverse!

When I returned my friends told me that the lady behind the bar had come over and said something about lights and then stood watching them playing darts! It all didn't add up to an enjoyable place to have food so we decided to drink up and make our way further down the canal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Passing through Garstang and found the Kenlis Arms on the outskirts of town. Just off the main road coming from South head towards Calder Vale and Kenlis is just past the railway bridge. This area used to be the Garstang and Catteral Railway Station years ago. Had a great time few beers and good chat. Beer Garden and seating outside with plenty of parking. Did not have time for a meal although customers seemed more than pleased from what we saw.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Quite a bizarre place to stay. Fantastic food and very comfotable bed. All the areas, are cluttered with all sorts - nice biscuits and cakes to go with Coffee tray and fresh milk. The lady of the Pub / Hotel obviously works very hard shame her men dont seem to help as much

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

The review is a little bit late, I kept on forgetting, hey ho. We stayed here whilst driving to Inverness from Devon. The owners were very friendly. The room was fantastic and very quiet. Food was great pub grub portions and the beer was tasty and well priced.
This Kenlis Arms is the place to stay, offering great accommodation at very good prices.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Kenlis Arms? Share your experiences!