“What a surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Lancashire
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had tickets to watch a band playing in the function room and decided to book a table to eat before the gig. What a good decision that turned out to be.

We arrived for our 7pm booking and were greeted by the waitress and taken to our table. She took our drinks order and presented us with the menu. Unfortunately my husband realised at this point that the tickets for the gig were no longer in his pocket and must have fallen out when he took his money out to pay for our train tickets. Fearing that the evening was ruined, he went to see the duty manager (Craig?) who said that he would speak to the band’s manager and see if anything could be done and within a couple of minutes he returned, told us not to worry and assured us that he would get us into the gig. Thanks for saving the day Craig.

So with that hiccup out of the way and a very welcome drink in hand we decided what we were going to have to eat. I chose the duo of lamb from the main menu, OH chose a pork dish and the couple we were with chose sausages and mash and a lamb dish from the specials menu.

We waited approximately half an hour for the food to arrive and ordered a second round of drinks (3 beers and a large Chardonnay). As we waited we noticed that the bar was filling up and the atmosphere was very lively.

Our meals arrived and we realised that we should have ordered vegetables from the menu as side orders (a little OTT in my opinion as the main courses we ordered varied from £9 to £13 and an additional £1.75 for some vegetables seems a little stingy). We weren’t told this when the waitress took our order and she didn’t ask if we wanted anything else with our mains so we presumed that they were included.

Anyway, that’s by the by because the food was lovely and presented so nicely on the plate. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and ordered desserts. Again, it took another half an hour for the desserts to arrive but they were worth the wait. The trio of desserts turned out to be a mascarpone trifle, a chocolate brownie with brandy snap basket and homemade ice cream plus a strawberry shortcake type tower.

We got our bill and it came to just over £90 (£100 with tip) for 4 mains, 6 pints of beer, a large Chardonnay and 4 desserts which, considering the quality of the food, seemed like very good value.

We don’t live in Preston and don’t visit very often but we wouldn’t hesitate to eat there again if we are ever in the area.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

76% Recommend
Preston, United Kingdom
“usually the best steak ...but not this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ohh it pains me to be negative about the steak here as I'm normally raving about it but we went with a group of 8 and had a pate starter....you get plenty but you could tell it wasn't really good stuff. Nobody came to take our drinks order for agggesssss and then when they did, we ended up getting the starter before the drink, which was a bit annoying but it was Saturday night!

When we got our starter, a lady who I think is the manager kept on looking over to see if we'd finished, normally it's good that the staff are observant but I felt like she was hurrying us as she was literally checking every minute or so, made me pretty uncomfortable! I also noticed the same lady taking payment from a party of 3 who wanted to pay separately. She was pretty rude towards them and it seemed like a simple request was an extremely big deal. I'm sure they felt awkward too.

Anyway, that kind of thing gives me a bad feeling in my tummy and it's not what you want when you're on a nice night out with friends...which isn't the cheapest!

When the steak came, it was really thin and scrawny and full of fat! I was so upset as I told everyone in our party it was amazing and most had ordered the same!

Hopefully it was a one off, but all of us agreed it was poor. Also, we were seated in the conservatory and it was FFFFreezing! I know we've had a cold winter but turn that th'eatin on!

It has put us off going back but hopefully time will heal the pain!!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“This place is a joke!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We was pointed to our seats, left without menu's for 20 mins..when we got our drinks the white wine was vile! When we tried to order there was no soup and only 2 sunday roast left??? We walked out after 45 mins of putting up with the complete crap, I don't often write reviews but I thought people need to know before going here, what they are gonna be faced with! and please sort your under staffing out the poor children looked shattered running round trying to serve everyone!!!!

• Visited March 2013
UK
“Fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited here for a meal with friends. The food was delicious. Expect something a bit more interesting and very tasty. Definitely not your average pub grub. It is more of a gastro pub and has a huge selection of beers and drinks. Will definitely be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Preston, United Kingdom
“Fab meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Had a fantastic meal served by a fantastic waiter here . I love this place and have never ever been dissapointed whenever I visit :0)

• Visited February 2013