“Incredibly disappointing!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Incredibly disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We have just returned from a visit here based on the good reviews on there and also a recommendation from someone at work. Unfortunately it was incredibly disappointing! We love Thai food, have travelled to Thailand several times so know how good authentic thai food is and also eat regularly in decent thai places in Manchester, so were quite excited to see a Thai place in the Preston area and thought we'd give it a go.

The place was empty when we arrived, the decor as said before is very dated and looks like someone's living room. The guy who greeted us didn't look overly happy to be there but was polite enough. We ordered spring rolls and chicken satay for starters. I highly believe they were microwaved, they reminded me of the type you buy in the supermarket - also I could hear a lot of beeping that sounded like a microwave coming from the kitchen before our starters came out and also just before the table next to us starters came out.

For mains we ordered chicken in pepper and garlic sauce and Weeping Tiger (Beef in some kind of sauce - sorry can't remember what exactly), and also a side of veg and egg fried rice. You didn't get very much chicken, the sauce wasn't overly flavourful and generally just tasted a bit bland. My boyfriend said his beef was ok, nothing special but better than my chicken. We dared to order desert, my boyfriend had the apple caramel pie, I had the chockarocka cake. My cake was supposed to be a biscuit base with chocolate and white chocolate mouse on top. It was actually a biscuit base with ice cream on top, but afer eating a bit more we realised it was mousse but it was frozen.

Overall, if I had received this as a take away I may have been a bit happier. It was basically very basic, bland thai food. Would not go back and wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Preston, United Kingdom
“Quirky place with but fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I visited Orathai recently. We found the staff to be very welcoming and attentive. If you enjoy eating in exquisite, trendy, decor surroundings, then this is not the restaurant for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy beautiful tastes and an intimate setting, then it is. You do feel as though you are sat in a living room in the 1980's and the wallpaper does need to be brought into this century but we prefer good food rather than judging the setting. It was very clean. We had the Golden platter to start which included extremely Devine Satay chicken, spring rolls, Sesame prawn toast, fish cakes served with peanut and sweet chilli sauce. We both thoroughly enjoyed our main meals. At first view, we both thought the portions looked small but we certainly did not feel hungry afterwards. Our three course meal, three glasses of wine and a large bottle of sparkling wine came to a snip at £50. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable culinary delight.

Visited April 2011
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

My wife and I eat here at least once a month and the food is allways excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere