“One night stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. John's Hotel

You added The St. John's Hotel to your Saves list
The St. John's Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   651 Warwick Road | near Birmingham, Solihull B91 1AT, England   |
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Solihull
“One night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed here for one night to meet up with family. Check in was simple. We were give a pass key for free wifi and directions to our room. We thought we could use the spa pool and gym before dinner but it's closed until 6pm every day so that was disappointing.
Our room was a decent size with a very large firm double bed, on which we got a great night's sleep. Bathroom was ok size but very clean and a good pressure from shower.

We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food.

The location is great for town and car parking was complimentary.

All in all it was very pleasant.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear nandm71,

Thank you for your recent review of the St Johns Hotel, Solihull.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and am disappointed you were not able to enjoy the normal hours of the leisure club as there was essential repair work in progress during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you can hopefully enjoy a meal in our Tempus bar or restaurant.

Darren McGhee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Booked this hotel for our anniversary but was very disappointed with the room even though we had booked a superior , air conditioning wasn't working , tv permanently had 4 lines down the screen when watching it and the view was off an air conditioning unit on the room !! Rooms really could do with being updated as the rest if the hotel was lovely .

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear NICKY B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I apologies for the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay I have discussed them with my Maintenance Manager.

We have now refurbished one floor of bedroom in the hotel and further rooms are due to be refurbished in the on going refurbishment program.

I am please to hear your views on the public areas in the hotel and do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

New york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Ok, so the hotel decor could do with bringing into the 21st century but you cannot fault the customer service at this place. Easy and helpful check in staff, our waiter Sean made dinner in the restaurant a delight as did the food which was top notch. Sean went out of his way to ensure our every need was attended to.

The hotel room is clean , spacious and well equipped albeit a little outdated. We will definitely come here again upon confirming if Sean is working, not sure if the hotel has a staff recognition programme but if so we would like to recommend Sean please!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Xyz274,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback following your stay at the St Johns Hotel, Solihull.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the modernisation of some of our bedrooms which is an ongoing project throughout the hotel.

I have shared your comments with Sean regarding the service he provided during your stay. We encourage staff to uphold and deliver our service standards and in this case Sean will certainly receive the recognition he deserves.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments and do hope to welcome you back to the St Johns in the very near future.

Keynsham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The St John's is a very comfortable hotel, conveniently situated for anyone working in the Solihull area. I didn't sample the leisure club and pool, but as I intend to stay there again I probably will. My room had a huge bed and a nice bathroom and was very quiet, which I value highly. Breakfast in the restaurant looking out to the garden was pleasant, and I left feeling refreshed, which doesn't always happen on business trips. Overall, a very good stay and, as I say, I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Duncan M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the St Johns Hotel, Solihull following your recent stay.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay and do hope that you are able to return to experience the other amenities on offer to our guests.

Staffs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed here recently for a work related event....the general reception areas and function rooms are OK but the guest room I had was extremely poor. It was supposedly a suite which basically consisted of a very shabby room overlooking the roof of another section of the building, very dated fixtures and fittings and poor bathroom facilities. The shower was ancient and the controls were broken.
Very disappointing indeed and breakfast next morning also left a lot to be desired - I needed to be away early so was one of the first for breakfast when clearly half the staff still hadn't arrived. No knives for bread, scones you could build a house with. Definitely wound not recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jamapy71,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for the input you have provided into the improvement of our business.

I am disappointed that you were displeased with your room as we aim to deliver quality products and service to all our guests. The view from your room with the city location of the hotel does not allow for much re-adaptation but I have made sure to address the other issues you encountered with the relevant Managers to ensure they are rectified in a timely manner.

The restaurant is open to guests after staff have set up our breakfast buffet and, following the feedback you have provided I will review the current standards in place with the team incorporating food quality and standards. This will ensure guests consistently receive the four star service we promise.

I apologise once again for your disappointment and do hope that your opinion of our hotel is not solely based upon this experience as I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future for a more enjoyable stay.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed here on Sunday 25th May as I had an early morning flight to Spain which departed at 4am. The plan was to go to bed around 7pm and get up at 1.30am. All was fine got the kids asleep by 7 then we went to bed. 10 mins later the room started vibrating and the cups shaking, due to the wedding disco beneath us. We were on the 2nd floor above the function room. The music carried on till midnight and sleep was impossible. I couldn't asked to be moved as the children were asleep. This hotel was booked jointly with airport parking so there are people like me who have early morning flights. Why not ask when we arrive if we have an early morning flight? If so move guests onto the top floor away from the disco. We got no sleep at all and we're shattered by the time we had got to Spain ruining the first few days of our holiday. I even contemplated sleeping in the car. Obviously the hotel got plenty of money for the wedding reception and couldn't care less about anyone else being kept awake by the noise. Worst hotel experience of my life and certainly won't stop here again if I have an early morning flight.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear 801Tony,

I would like to commence by thanking you for choosing to stay at our hotel and would like to ensure that you are aware that we value all our guests and appreciate their choice to stay with us.

I have looked into your dates of stay and can confirm that there was a function on in the hotel. The procedures we have in place in such instances are, to allocate guests disassociated with the function to a separate section of the hotel. It is with regret that your comments have brought to light this over sight on our part.

I can therefore only apologise for the break down in communication and the human error resulting in the poor allocation of your room.

I do hope that your opinion of our hotel may be improved as we would graciously welcome you back in the very near future.

Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from 5th to 8th June 2014 I had booked an "Adapted" Twin Room for my wife and I as I have a slight disability where I cannot get in and out of a bath. Unfortunately when we arrived the bathroom, although adapted with a wide door entrance and alarm pulley, the shower was over a bath in the bathroom. I said to my wife that we will just "live" with it and that I will just wash my hair over the sink. I did this for the first night but my wife said that for the price we paid and we had asked for an adapted room, then the very least we should have a walk-in shower. After breakfast that following morning, my wife went to see the management and returned to the room to tell me that she had met Susan, one of the Duty managers, and that she apologised that we were not 100% happy with our room and she would do all in her power to rectify the situation. She came back 15 minutes later to say that she would be moving us to another room - 2 doors up from our original room - that had a walk in shower but it would not be ready to later that afternoon. We said that that would be great and as we were going out anyway, we wouldn't require the room until around teatime that day. When we returned and moved into the new room - which was fantastic - Susan had left for us 2 platters of fresh fruit, 2 cornettos in an ice bowl, 2 bottles of sparking water and bath robes and slippers!!!! What a girl!!! The remainder of our stay and the breakfasts were excellent and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to family and friends. Thanks Susan and your lovely staff....we'll be back. Jim & Paula

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
St Johns H, General Manager at The St. John's Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Jim & Paula

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I am really sorry to hear that you did not initially receive your requested room type. I will investigate this with the reservations team. However I am delighted that this was quickly rectified and you had an enjoyable stay.

I would like to thank you for you very kind words and for taking the time to write a review. I will personally communicate you feedback to the appropriate people in the team. I do hope to welcome you both back to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Kind Regards,
Darren

Been to The St. John's Hotel? Share your experiences!