“excellent village hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Urban Resort Solihull

You added Village Urban Resort Solihull to your Saves list
Village Urban Resort Solihull
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Green Business Park, Dog Kennel Lane | Shirley, Solihull B90 4GW, England (Formerly De Vere Village Solihull)   |
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Solihull
armagh northern ireland
“excellent village hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

village hotels are now my first choice when staying in England and Solihull was no exception. I stayed upper deck and room was the usual comfortable and clean room that I have come to expect from the village brand.staff were friendly and location was handy for motorways etc. free wifi worked well and breakfast was ok. I would stay again as its an excellent hotel for business .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Came at the weekend for a 1night getaway, local to the area so was impressed with the facilities on offer for a great price. Wonderful welcome at reception. The receptionist (cannot remember her name, brunette with a lovely smile!) was very helpful with ensuring we had all we needed. The lobby was great and everything they had on offer was visible, the verve grill, Starbucks, victory pub and the leisure facilities. We stayed in an upper deck room kitted out with little goodies including a full sky package and Starbucks coffee in the room. Bed was comfortable except it kept rolling around! minor issue so we didn't report it. On the surface all was great but noticed little things such as the carpet not vacuumed etc but again didn't bother us too much. Room service was fantastic and available through the night brought to us by the lovely staff. Had a drink in the victory pub, note no cocktail menu :( however the lovely bar lady did attempt to make us some mojitos which were not too bad! being local we considered taking membership within the velocity fitness centre and enquired to have a look around. I wish we didn't! we were met not greeted! By a woman called Tracy, who quite frankly looked as if she really did not want to be there. Her approach was cold and made us feel uncomfortable to the point we considered leaving it. We persevered and hoped it would get better, but alas the experience became almost torturous. Led to each of the rooms as if they were death chambers and finally led back downstairs to talk prices. After she reeled through the basic details in 30 seconds she finished off with "ready to get this set up?" to which I almost laughed. Considering she made us feel as if we inconvenienced her day I was not prepared to do anything! when I politely responded that we would like to think about it she took this as an opportunity to go in for a hard sell!! But in a manner which practically stated we would we stupid not to go ahead! quite frankly the whole experience left me with a sour taste as I was having a pleasant time up until that point. I think it's a shame that one person would let down the rest of the team in such a manner. As a result My partner and I signed up to another gym, and have recommended friends and family to avoid meeting with Tracy in particular, but would certainly recommend the hotel and it's other facilities.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We booked 2 nights B&B to attend an expo at the NEC.

This is the second time we have stayed at an Urban Village hotel and we were left really impressed by both stays.

The hotel is ultra modern and although it is located on an industrial estate ( most of these do seem to be) it is really well appointed with amazing leisure facilities, young and helpful staff and nicely furnished room.

Breakfast was good and dinner in the restaurant was fine.

Considering the price point I really don't see how anyone could complain. As I said the location isn't the best but if its for buisness or a convenient locatation to get in an around the area I don't see this as an issue at all.

The only slight gripe was that the lift was very slow and seemed to move between floors for ages!

Overall highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I managed to get a great deal where I paid £55 for a 3 night stay including breakfast and use of the pool and leisure facilities for my wife and i and the 2 kids. additionally the kids ate for free.
The service was great especially in the restaurant which was quiet despite serving great food really cheap (£13 for a 3 course meal). Breakfast was plentiful with a wide range of stuff for the kids , me and my Veggie wife.
I would recommend the Village and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel is quite good, starting from reception very friendly staff, rooms quite nice. specially food is amazing in the restaurant with wonderful service, Asian Guy in the restaurant assuming (restaurant manager) very friendly and shows great hospitality made our evening special as we were on anniversary weekend, he gives us table away from crowd and complimentary drink. keep on checking is everything alright..nice gym. we will definitely come, and will eat again specially in restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

i have stayed in the village in Hull many times and have always been impressed by the facilities and the staff and service. So when i needed a stay in solihull i plumped for the village without hesitation.
The usual friendly and extremely helpful staff and modern surroundings and a nice room and comfortable nights sleep and the breakfast was of a good standard.

Now for the disappointing bits.......

I went to the bar for a drink and waited so long to get served i decided to go to the local sainsbury for drinks as it was likely to be quicker.

The room albeit the usual modern feel was very dusty and not very clean. So to sum this stay up i have to say i am still a fan of the village chain but this particular venue was let down badly by the housekeeping and the bar staffing levels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I found this hotel using a booking website with a 'dogs allowed' filter
To double check, I called the hotel (quite late at night) & was told that yes, they accept dogs & there was no charge
When I arrived, I was told that dogs WEREN'T allowed, putting me in a rather awkward position...
I explained I had called, As I didn't recall the name of the guy I spoke to they were disbelieving of me, but finally conceded that it was likely to have been the night porter who 'didn't really know anything'. They finally, reluctantly agreed to let us stay with the dog & then wanted extra for the cleaning involved, which I understand but had been told didn't apply! Luckily I also argued against this, as when I got to the room, incy wincy spider had made a substantial home in the window blinds & the irony that my dog would cause extra cleaning was too much!
Evening meal was included on the first night but being a sunday, the restaurant was closed in the evening. After waiting for the large group of rowdy football to disappear in 'the pub' , I had my food but the waitress was so surly (and the order was wrongs) so I asked to speak to the duty manager. He agreed that she had been surly, and offered me a free bottle of wine on my second night, and took my email address & said he would send me a voucher for a free sunday carvery (neither of which I had asked for)
On the second night, upon returning, the bar was closed so I was unable to get my wine, and after some months, guess what...no vouchers either!
Really poor from a big chain, who on this occasion overpromised but underdelivered.
Would definitely look elsewhere..........

Room Tip: in another hotel?