“The Best” 5 of 5 stars

off Shannon Way | Ashchurch Rd, Tewkesbury GL20 8BL, England   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

This is probably one of the best hotels I have ever been to the beds are huge and was comfier than my own. The shower was a double shower with a seat, its great I want one in my house now, could have stayed in there all day. the rooms and hotel are nicely decorated, we did find the foof and drinks were quite expensive and we didnt find much to do but there is a pub with food down the road. Very happy with my stay will look for a purple hotel where ever I go.

• Liked — The shower and the bed were amaizing.
  • Disliked — The fact me bed and shower seem so insuperior now!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

We stayed at the Purple Hotel on the night of my daughters wedding 13/09/08. We booked quite a time in advance to make sure we had a room and paid £55 for a double. We had no problems booking in, and were allocated room 008 on the ground floor close to reception. The room was very spacious and clean, with a nice bathroom including big fluffy bath towels and toiletries. Tea and coffee facilities and a decent sized colour tv. After a comfortable nights sleep we checked out with no errors to our bill. Breakfast was available if we wanted it in the restaraunt just off reception. We didn't have it because we were going back to the Hotel where my daughter was married for wedding breakfast. For one night at least i could not fault the place and would have no hesitation of using it again.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

this is a new hotel and everything is in excellent condition,the bed was really comfortable and the bathroom spotless. It is situated just off the motorway but within walking distance of the town. The room was air conditioned, which was good as there was some traffic noise when opening the window. The evening menu was limited so we ate in the town, but the breakfast which was included in the price was very good. It was just right as stop over on our way home from holiday, car parking was plentiful and free.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — No bath
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

We were looking for a good base to tour around the Cotswolds and after searching for a B&B it was apparent that these are somewhat overpriced in this area (£80 plus for a double room).

I stumbled across the Purple Hotel via Laterooms.com and booked direct to get 4 nights B&B for £47 a night (normal rate is £47 room only, but this was a summer special), which seemed very reasonable for a bank holiday weekend.

This hotel used to be the Sleep Inn, Tewkesbury and looking at the Tripadvisor page it would seem to be best avoided. However, it would appear the new owners have turned the place around and it has been well refurbished.

The bedrooms are clean with pleasing enough decor and the general impression of the hotel is good. We were specially impressed by the general quietness of the place (not something roadside motels/hotels are normally known for). Breakfast was a buffet with a very good range of regularly replenished items and the staff were friendly and efficient.

We had one issue with our room not being cleaned on our first morning and after mentioning this at reception we were invited to take a free drink in the bar.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place. The location is good for touring the area and it is excellent value for money.

• Liked — Excellent customer service
  • Disliked — Lack of eating venues nearby
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
u.k
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

Stayed there first week in January 08 the hotel was almost deserted.Greeted by lovely lady in her jeans and jumper behind the desk (!).Room very large but very used,scuff marks everywhere and carpets not looking too good.I found that the cleaning people missed 2 cans of lager hanging from the window from the previous occupants.Bathroom was ok except the tiles on the floor were loose and moved to the touch.The airconditioning was fine after a few hit and misses !.Breakfast was a sight to behold.I was told on checkin that a full english was available.What you actually get in just one very grubby tourine with all the bacon sausages etc...in the same tourine as the eggs tomatoes.no good if vegetarian like me,I could not even touch it as the outside of the tourine was filthy.And the 'chef' came in chewing on something to refill every now and then.He then went outside to have a puff and his uniform (jeans,t-hirt) were just as grubby as the tourine.NEVER will I entertain to stay at this grubby place again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Getting there
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2007

We stayed here on a Saturday night while driving round the Cotswolds looking for a wedding venue. We just wanted somewhere cheap and clean because we would arrive quite late a leave early. I chose this particular one simply because it said it had showers instead of baths – which I always prefer.

The room was perfectly nice (see the pictured) – very new and clean and exactly as described. The only major problem was there were only two thin pillows on the bed – and when we asked for extra we were told no! Not very impressed!

We had to pay extra for the internet and it was not very fast and kept dropping out. In the morning it told me my 24 hour voucher had expired. Reception gave me a replacement voucher but it still wouldn’t work – so I just gave up.

Altogether a perfectly nice cheap hotel – just let down by the pillow situation!

Stayed December 2007
East Yorkshire, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

I am staying at the Sleep Inn in Tewksbury whilst on business for just under 3 weeks and can I say what appalling service I encountered.
For my first week:-
• The air conditioning was not working properly and therefore my room was very cold for the majority of my stay.
• The client where I was working received a bill for one of the nights stating that I was a non arrival when quite clearly this was not the case.
• When arriving back to the hotel from a day a work my key did not work so I had to go back downstairs again to get it activated.
• I settled the bill when checking out of the hotel but a colleague who booked the hotel still got charged on her credit card – another issue which needed to be resolved.
For my second week:-
• After travelling 4 hours I arrived at the hotel only to find that the room which I had been booked into was already occupied by another guest.
• After lugging my bags back downstairs again I was allocated another room where the electricity did not work (can I recommend that although a cheap method blu-tak is not the answer to a faulty electricity unit!).
• The 3rd room was my original room from my first week with faulty air conditioning so I was moved again.
• The 4th room was a twin room when I was paying for a double.
• So after 45 minutes pulling my suitcase around I arrive in my 5th room which was ok although the air conditioning unit would not switch off properly and kept coming on really loudly in the middle of the night and waking me up (this was sorted out after the first night luckily).
• After my first day at work my key did not work so I had to go back downstairs again to get it activated.
• So finally, everything is ok but then I discover that the hotel did not have me booked in for my full stay and therefore I needed to be moved again after 3 nights (my stay was for 5 nights)!!!! I asked the girl on reception if this was really necessary as this would be the 6th time I was moved. The response I got was ‘yes you will be moving’ (without even taking her eyes off the computer, cracking a smile or even apologising).
So I’m on the move again to my original room from week one. But I can be provided with heaters so yippee! That makes up for everything!
I am only into Tuesday of my second week. I wonder what will happen next week……..
‘First for exceptional value and service?’ Is this a joke!
The only good thing I can say is that they have lovely showers and at least wireless internet connection works so I can write this review!

• Liked — Shower and wireless internet connection
  • Disliked — Service and staff incompetence
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Purple Hotel? Share your experiences!