“NICE HOTEL & PROFESSIONAL STAFF” 4 of 5 stars

Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lincoln Green Lane, Tewkesbury GL20 7DN, England   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
mid wales
“NICE HOTEL & PROFESSIONAL STAFF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed here on 11th & 12th february with my sister. We had been trying to get a last minute spa break in the area but everyone was booked up, so we decided to stay here bed & breakfast instead.
The hotel is lovely and the rooms are of usual spa hotel standards - very nice. The hotel was clean and the staff eager to help. We had lunch in the greens bar and breakfast twice in the resturant and all was very good.
However i am glad we did not book a spa there as i would have been disappointed. When i had a look around the leisure area its quite shabby. The toilets and changing room whilst clean, resemble a badly maintained public convienience with broken doors and discoloured tiles.
The pool was fine although could do with some of the luxury touches you would expect of that sort of hotel. I understand the property has changed hands a few times - all i can say is the leisure area very much lets down a beautiful hotel.
I would definatly stay at the hotel again but i would not use the spa until its revamped.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
tewkesburypark, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Dear Carri104,
Nice review so many thanks, it certainly helps to get positive feedback.
Kind regards
David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
okehampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

This is a nice hotel in a lovely setting it is probably a little over rated 4 stars is too much. It can be a long walk from check in to your room, the same goes for dining. That said we have stayed here many times over the years an attended birthday parties and family get togethers. Of course there is room for improvement as always no improvement is done before it is really necessary.We took our dog who was made as welcome as us. A couple of negatives though. It is not possible to book one night on either Friday Saturday or Sunday. This is really silly and frankly has lost our custom on at least five other occasions because of this. Secondly dinner is not at all good we have found it best to eat elsewhere. The last time we stayed for one night was october 2010 when we had lunch and took food to eat in our room. A room picknick in fact but surely it cannot be beyond the wit of management to hire a proper chef who can produce edible food. They have a nice resturarant but only to sit in so it seems. All in all this hotel is well worth a visit nevertheless.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr JT,
Thank you for your postive thoughts but I do understand that we need to get other bits right and we have done.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Well, Where do I start? Firstly appologies for taking so long to do my review!! The weekend was going to be Golf for the men and spa treatments and use for the ladies. We had pre booked our treatments well in advance to get what we wanted and at what time!
Our group of friends had a delightful and relaxing weekend at a good comfortably affordable price. We arrived Friday evening , with enough time to have a quick unpack, a drink or two before a lovely dinner, followed by more drinks an socialising till quite late!! Bar staff very friendly and were a lovely bunch to put up with the boys!!
On Saturday, after a somewhat large breakfast (it has to be done with the variety!),the boys went off to play Golf, and us Ladies went for a brisk walk into the Town. Having done some research, there is a nice Traditional Market on Saturday morning to mosey around. Also some lovely boutique shops to venture in and out of.
We had booked our treatments starting from 2pm in the afternoon, and we all had the same lovely facials (great neck massage to go with it)! We used the facilities - pool,etc and had a great relaxing time. We had a light snack lunch and wine during this...so relaxing!!
The men had a swim, etc when they ventured back after golf and said it was a good course! Dinner was really lovely with a nice variety of choice (not too much but enough to please all)! Again we kept the evening staff "entertained", as we did do our own quiz ( which some of the other guests joined in!)
Sunday much the same but spent in the Spa/Golf! Mixture of manicures/pedicures and massages this time...and the men....more Golf!!
I have only praise for the hotel - very friendly, nothing too much trouble! I am planning to negotiate with them for my "ladies group" to do a Spa style weekend for us only (NO MEN), as I do feel that with a bit more Tweaking (no pun intended) they could add Spa to their title!!
Would recommend to anyone of most ages, really friendly and a hidden delight o a hotel in the beautiful countryside. Yes it is oldy worldy, thats what we wanted, to get away from the ultra modern chic everywhere and have log fires and warm friendly welcome. When I go next time (not if I go) I will ask for a higher floor room with the same views!! Excellent! Please don't change too much!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear GZi,
What a great review, you will be welcomed back anytime. Please do contact me when you are here so I can say hello.
Kind regards
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I like to write comprehensive reviews and always do so in my trip advisor contributions, but I also write them subjectively, my opinion as a frequent hotel stayer and traveller, is that the Brook Tewkesbury Park Hotel Golf and Country Club is the place you would want to stay if you want a quiet, spa break, Golf break or are staying in the area conducting business, I think its a great place for couples who want to get away from it all.

The Hotel is extremely easy to Navigate to on any decent satellite Navigation system, very close to the M5, passing through Tewkesbury town centre, and within a mile of the main high street, down a side lane, its easy to find, and is at the top of a hill passing through the main Golf course.

The Reception is pleasant and staff appeared friendly and helpful, I was staying there at my company's expense, and part of a group for a business conference, on arrival at 1.30pm, the receptionist staff kindly accepted our baggage in the office, whilst our rooms were prepared, and we proceeded to our conference room.

The Hotel main area is pleasant well appointed, as is the Bar which is opposite reception, well stocked with an excellent local cider and beers to choose from, spirits, everything that is required, there is Free unlimited WI-FI in the public areas, by obtaining a passcode from reception, this is a must for me as a business traveller/casual user, very welcome, and not a chargeable item, (Note to Hotel Manager - a Big Plus offering WIFI Fast Broadband in Reception and the Rooms).

For Business conference attendees, a major plus is the use of a separate coffee tea room with machine, served just above the conference room on 1st floor was quite welcome to leave the meeting and take tea/coffee separately, just makes all the sense in the world.

The Room allocated was opposite the Golf Center, where there is a Spa area, swimming pool, jacuzzi facilities which I used early on in morning from 6.30 onwards, this is great before going to breakfast, and highly recommended, towels etc are available from Golf Reception area.

The Room was comfortable, large double bed, pillows of a large size, plenty of them, (unlike some hotels which have a habit of putting in small pillows which are a source of complaint among many travelers), tea/coffee making facilities well presented for 2 people, plenty of items, well thought out, bureau seating, and more importantly (Fast Broadband WIFI in the room not Charged), each room has a view of the Golf course, plenty of wardrobe space, bathroom marble, good quality showering system, bath tub, full facilities, well appointed and makes you want to relax there, all in all, excellent standard rooms.

The Restaurant in the evening was not used by our party, so i cannot comment on that, we had a private meal in a private room, the service was good, brisk and enjoyable, as we had a fixed menu, I am unable to comment on the restaurant menus and availability, perhaps someone else will.

Breakfast in the morning is at 6.30 sharp onwards, its a buffet style, very pleasant selection of continental or full english, cereals, jams, pastries, croissants, and other preserves, plenty to eat, and nicely presented in line with the hotel's general pleasing approach to presentation.

To conclude this review, The Hotel is a very pleasing place to stay if your a couple looking for a spa break/including exploring the surrounding cotswolds of England, the Golf and Spa offerings certainly are of a high standard, as far as I am concerned, the hotel manager and his/her staff, should be congratulated, I would recommend this excellent hotel Golf and Country Club to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ginaperterb,
We are all very grateful for such a comprehensive and positive response, as I said in my last response please do make contact if you do stay here again as I would like to thank you personally.
Your time in sending the review to Trip Advisor is very much appreciated.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I have just been reading some of the rather bad reviews of Tewkesbury Park, and as a fairly regular visitor, felt I had to say something. Yes, I know there are good reviews here too - but I wanted to address the bad ones.

My partner and I have stayed here several times over the past 5 or so years and have never had a bad stay. This applies equally to whichever hotel chain was in charge - Corus, Brooke or whoever it is now. We have what we call a "Tewkesbury Weekend" a few times a year, and always enjoy a pleasant, relaxing stay. ( One or two of the waitressing staff tend to recognise us now, which is nice!)

We've found the staff friendly and helpful and the food always delicious. Yes, we've encountered a few issues, but the staff have always resolved them to our satisfaction. For example, once they gave us a room very close to the kitchen, but they happily moved us elsewhere when we expressed concern about possible noise. And once our shower was scaldingly hot, and again, they happily moved us to another room without any argument (and they agreed, on checking, that the shower was way too hot!)

We've always eaten in their restaurant at night, as we try to book a DBB package, and have always been very happy with the quality, quantity and standard of the food, We've never had a problem with service either. Once, when our meal was very slow in arriving, the resturant manager gave us, unprompted, our drinks free as compensation, and once they muddled up the liquer coffees - but replaced them with the right ones without any argument.

The place is not perfect and I'm not saying it is. I could say that the tea at breakfast is not to my taste (I don't know what they do to it, it always seems pretty odd to me, but other people seem to drink it) but that is a minor quibble. The swimming pool and changing area is a little tired, decoration wise, and could do with a revamp, but the pool itself is fine for what it is - a pool in a hotel, not a competition standard facility. The good points overwhelmingly outweigh the bad as far as we are concerned. Well, clearly they do, or we wouldn't keep going back there.

The main point I feel I should make is that we've always found the staff eager to put thngs right if they do go wrong, and that goes a long way.

(I just hope that, after writing this, we don't go there and have a terrible time - but on past experience, there's no reason to think we would!)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
tewkesburypark, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Very Loyal Guest,

Thank you - your support is appreciated by all those that work at Tewkesbury Park. Please keep returning and when you are in next time please make a point of tracking me down, I owe you a drink. Kind regards David
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Our room on third floor no lift, I am 70+ not good. The New Year dinner was not as good as last year, in fact it was very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear New Year Guest,
We changed from a buffet style menu this year to a sit down more formal selection of dishes, all the comments received on the night were very positive with many guests booking for 2011 New Year on there departure. I am sorry you felt the food was not as good but if you did wish to return next year please give me a ring and we can alter the menu items to suit. Thank you for your comments and perhaps you will welcome in 2012 with us. Regards David
Clarence Center, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I have stayed here in June 2009, and in May 2010, both times were very enjoyable. The view of the golf course from most rooms is quite nice. The fitness center is great, the bar/ clubhouse is very nice and the breakfast in the hotel restaurant is awesome. I did attampt to play golf on my June 2009 stay, the course wasn't as well maintained as I had expected, Overall it was a very nice place to stay and they have complementary internet access.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind reveiw and we hope you will return once again in the not too distant future. Regards David

Been to Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!