“Never had a bad stay here!” 4 of 5 stars

Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lincoln Green Lane, Tewkesbury GL20 7DN, England   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Never had a bad stay here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I have just been reading some of the rather bad reviews of Tewkesbury Park, and as a fairly regular visitor, felt I had to say something. Yes, I know there are good reviews here too - but I wanted to address the bad ones.

My partner and I have stayed here several times over the past 5 or so years and have never had a bad stay. This applies equally to whichever hotel chain was in charge - Corus, Brooke or whoever it is now. We have what we call a "Tewkesbury Weekend" a few times a year, and always enjoy a pleasant, relaxing stay. ( One or two of the waitressing staff tend to recognise us now, which is nice!)

We've found the staff friendly and helpful and the food always delicious. Yes, we've encountered a few issues, but the staff have always resolved them to our satisfaction. For example, once they gave us a room very close to the kitchen, but they happily moved us elsewhere when we expressed concern about possible noise. And once our shower was scaldingly hot, and again, they happily moved us to another room without any argument (and they agreed, on checking, that the shower was way too hot!)

We've always eaten in their restaurant at night, as we try to book a DBB package, and have always been very happy with the quality, quantity and standard of the food, We've never had a problem with service either. Once, when our meal was very slow in arriving, the resturant manager gave us, unprompted, our drinks free as compensation, and once they muddled up the liquer coffees - but replaced them with the right ones without any argument.

The place is not perfect and I'm not saying it is. I could say that the tea at breakfast is not to my taste (I don't know what they do to it, it always seems pretty odd to me, but other people seem to drink it) but that is a minor quibble. The swimming pool and changing area is a little tired, decoration wise, and could do with a revamp, but the pool itself is fine for what it is - a pool in a hotel, not a competition standard facility. The good points overwhelmingly outweigh the bad as far as we are concerned. Well, clearly they do, or we wouldn't keep going back there.

The main point I feel I should make is that we've always found the staff eager to put thngs right if they do go wrong, and that goes a long way.

(I just hope that, after writing this, we don't go there and have a terrible time - but on past experience, there's no reason to think we would!)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
tewkesburypark, General Manager at Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Very Loyal Guest,

Thank you - your support is appreciated by all those that work at Tewkesbury Park. Please keep returning and when you are in next time please make a point of tracking me down, I owe you a drink. Kind regards David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Our room on third floor no lift, I am 70+ not good. The New Year dinner was not as good as last year, in fact it was very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear New Year Guest,
We changed from a buffet style menu this year to a sit down more formal selection of dishes, all the comments received on the night were very positive with many guests booking for 2011 New Year on there departure. I am sorry you felt the food was not as good but if you did wish to return next year please give me a ring and we can alter the menu items to suit. Thank you for your comments and perhaps you will welcome in 2012 with us. Regards David
Clarence Center, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I have stayed here in June 2009, and in May 2010, both times were very enjoyable. The view of the golf course from most rooms is quite nice. The fitness center is great, the bar/ clubhouse is very nice and the breakfast in the hotel restaurant is awesome. I did attampt to play golf on my June 2009 stay, the course wasn't as well maintained as I had expected, Overall it was a very nice place to stay and they have complementary internet access.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind reveiw and we hope you will return once again in the not too distant future. Regards David
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed here for a few days on business. I was on a ground floor room overlooking the golf course.
The room was quiet and reasonably well appointed. The bed was way too soft for my liking but comfortable nontheless.

The cleaners kept turning the heating to high so the room was constantly too hot for me. What was worse was that they didn't really do much cleaning - the cups and teaspoons were rinsed but not washed and the bath plug was clogged with hair - not mine! Pretty gross.

The setting is lovely with a great view of the Abbey and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Just let down by the cleaning staff.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Our apologies, it is rare to receive an adverse comment about the housekeeping depatment but you can be assured that we have checked the points you raised and adjusted the methods to ensure it does not happen again. Thank you for taking the time to put a note onto Trip Advisor. Kind regards David
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Just returned from spending the weekend at Tewkesbury Park Hotel with a party of 26 adults, we booked for the Christmas party night on the Saturday and stayed for the Friday and Saturday night. My husband and 9 other men played golf on the Saturday morning which was free for guest staying in the hotel. The ladies in the party took a mini bus trip to Cheltenham!! On the Saturday evening we had a 3 course meal followed by mince pies and coffee. The main meal was brought to the table already plated up, there was only 3 small potatoes, which some of our party found inadequate, however they did enjoy their meals. There was a disco until midnight and we all had a great night. The breakfast was mainly buffet style with tea,coffee and toast served to you at the table. All members of our group were impressed with the friendliness of all the staff working within the hotel throughout our stay. They all said they would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
tewkesburypark, Manager at Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Plymouth Girl,
Thank you for your great review, please come back and see us again.
Kind regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

First Impressions.
Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club is located near Gloucester and set in the stunning Gloucestershire countryside a short distance from the town of Tewkesbury. The four star hotel is a former Victorian Manor House surrounded by 176 acres of parkland which includes an 18 Hole par 73 championship golf course. The health club & spa offers a good range of facilities.
I visited the hotel with work colleagues for a 2 day midweek golfing trip and I was not disappointed. On arrival we were pleasantly greeted by hotel staff before playing our first round of golf. Dave, the course manager , was a very chirpy chap, very welcoming and accommodating. He could not do enough for us.

Services & Staff.
The 18 hole parkland golf course was in outstanding condition and considering we were into the British winter we could not fault the condition of the course.
At the end of our first day we used the spa facilities to unwind and relax in the sauna and swimming pool. The pool, sauna, changing rooms & showers were very clean and well maintained.
All the staff in the hotel, spa and golf course were pleasant and courteous throughout our visit.

Restaurant, Bar & The Food.
During the evening we dined in the restaurant had a good choice of food from the set menu the three course meal was very tasty and well prepared. All the lads thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the staff in the restaurant were fantastic. If I had to find fault with the hotel it would be the bar prices, a little on the expensive side.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Hungry Butcher,

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay, bar pricing is being reviewed so please don't let it put you off coming back. I will buy you a pint anyway after such nice words on Trip Advisor!
Regards
Coulsdon, Surrey, Uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Last time we stayed here, to attend the same race meeting, we had reservations about both the room and the restaurant. This time the room was in far better order, though for a four star we might have expected a better range of toiletries than the travelodge style communal pots, rather more than one teabag per person per day, and, it being November, the heating could do with being turned up a couple of notches.

But once again the catering - or lack of it - let the side down. Just a £30 take-it or leave it fixed price menu on weekend evenings it seems, containing just four main course dishes, none of which we wanted to eat, and certainly not sight unseen at that price. Both Indian restaurants we found in the town were fine.

Breakfast on both mornings was something of a shambles, which made us think we were wise to decline the evening meal. For £16 a head one would expect full table service rather than an inevitably tepid buffet. To have to hunt for a clean table, then ask twice for tea and coffee, then wait a while not daring to move in case someone else pinches the table (we saw this happen) is very poor service.

On the up side it was nice for someone to get us a drink from the main bar when we arrived rather then making us go out in the rain - the receptionist said it didn't open till 6PM which I find odd.

Does the 'Golf Bar' ever open? I do wonder if this hotel is set up for golfing parties and everyone else has to fit round that.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Nick,
Our apologies that you found reason to comment adversely, I was in fact the gentleman that served you a drink when you arrived and certainly would have been able to deal with some of the other issues that you encountered during your stay. If you are staying again perhaps for the Gold Cup or The Open (Paddy Power) please give me a ring first and I will ensure that you are looked after in our usual hospitable way.
Kind regards
David

Been to Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!