“Disappointing Avoid” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
sheffield
“Disappointing Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night before a business meeting.We had travelled from South Yorkshire, and after a 4 hour hour drive we arrived, entered the reception to be greeted with the words, "give me a couple of minutes" without even an upward glance in our direction, we waited for 5 minutes while the receptionist, Neil did his totting up, eventually we were allocated room 20...an 'executive ' room(do not accept this room) to access we had to walk out of the hotel down a path and enter through some side doors, down some steps through two corridors and then we arrived in a 'bugs paradise'
we had no view only of an incline and the french doors were covered in condensation and all sorts of flies, ladybirds, flying ants and midges not what we had hoped for.
We didn't get the bath robes,either, only a heated towel rail'on a timer' that didn't function.
we didn't eat at night in the restaurant as a coach party of about 80 landed, and so we cut our losses and went out and found a M&S simply food, Im glad we did as breakfast was a DISASTER...the hot food was totally inedible and had been there for goodness knows how long, (bacon & sausages were COOKING on the warming plates!")
little or no staff on hand to take coffee orders and those who were didn't care less.
staffing is obviously an issue here, as a memo meant for staff was left for all to see at the desk in restaurant reception, asking for shift cover.
Staff seem to run this hotel for themselves not their clients.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
gl207dn, Manager at Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
We are obviously saddened by the comment from 'babafearn'. Neil is charming and is sure he did not keep the guests waiting for 5 mins. The comment regarding the walk outside to their bedroom does make it sound like and annex block but we have no annex bedrooms there is an internal route through the hotel. Neil probably suggested this as it was a nice day and easier access from their car with luggage. Yes we have had a few thousand ladybirds trying to hibernate for free but this only lasted a couple of days and they have all been gently asked to find accommodation elsewhere on our 176 acre parkland site. The breakfast standard is normally exceptional hence why many local business travellers tend to stay with us, again our apologies. It is a smashing hotel with great staff. We do not accept coach parties of 80 and on the night in question we had one group of 30 golfers plus many returning guests because the food is so good. Babafearn could have eaten in our Brasserie called Greens if they had preffered although our buzzy and busy restaurant could easily have accommodated them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This is a very expensive hotel, especially for the area, and I have to admit that it is probably not worth it. They hotel is not 4 star. It is just a bit too old and a bit too run down. Also, there was a problem with the plumbing, with the pipes making a 'glug-glug' sound. Not impressed, and a bit past its sell-by date to be honest.

Monmouth, Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

My boyfriend and i stayed at the Tewkesbury park Hotel, as part of a wedding party. We opted for the executive suite, for an extra £25 all we got were 2 bathrobes and 2 small cheap bottles of wine, the bed, bathroom and tv, were the same as the standard room, waste of money as i could of just taken my own bathrobe!! very very disapointed!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
gl207dn, Manager at Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, November 23, 2009
Thank you for your comments, you can be assured that our upgraded rooms are different to our standard bedrooms but all your views have been acted upon. Kind regards David Nott
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

If you are looking for somewhere to play golf with friends then this is the place for you. The staff in the golf club are 1st class and very helpful, the course is good and not that busy.

The hotel however is a bit of a disappointment. It is clean enough and the food is palatable but there is just the underlying feeling that you are a bit of a hinderance to the staff. At breakfast they were clearing everything away bang on 10:30 despite having a 1/2 full dining room and the same applied at the bar. They were closing up and putting up the shutters despite the bar having plenty of guests still wanting drinks. The night porter was still around but 1/2 the drinks had been locked away !

So if you are looking for a reasonably priced golf break this is the place for you, just don't expect too much in the way of 4 star service off the course.

westmidlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

service poor when food...and drink ordered...asked if i was with wedding party as they had better service..then anyone else staying..not treated the same...staff could not speak english brought out wrong drinks 3times...then nearly got over charged when leaving for bill...not even a sorry when i brought it to the reception staff attention...no water in rooms...no air con...no english breakfast before 7am...toilets a real mess...Under staffed at bar...and staff not friendly...I work in a hotel/conferance center myself...so i no whats people staying expect...would never stay here again...ok if you love the golf...thats about it..Better training needed for non English speaking Staff..

Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

Fabulous first impressions. Hotel has been refurbished and looks good. The receptionist was lovely and gave me a great service experience. My room was spotlessly clean and as I was away with work I thought I'd use my evening to relax and get an early night so room service was my plan.

I rang and I felt like I had totally inconvenienced them by asking for room service. Short sharp questions on the phone and I practically had the phone slammed down on me.

My food then arrived on time and cold. The side salad they charge £2.50 for was a single piece of lettuce, with two bits of sliced pepper and a quarter of a tomato. I would not suggest paying for the side salad.

What a shame, the attitude of the restaurant spoilt all the other good things for me. I will stay again as its convenient for me and I would be cutting my own nose off (so to speak).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Hemel Hempstead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We went for a weekend in mid-March and found the staff very helpful and cheerful. The setting is lovely with great views across the golf course and then across the Cotswolds. We went to a restaurant called "My Grandfathers" which was recommended to us by the receptionist. It was fantastic. Also went to the swimming pool with my 4-year-old who loved it, while my wife caught the sunshine on the bar terrace. I recommend going to see the Abbey too.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!