“Beautiful location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tewkesbury
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel itself is situated on high ground outside Tewkesbury so there are wonderful long distance views over the golf course and countryside beyond. The rooms feel somewhat small, perhaps because of the low ceiling but the view from the window nice. The leisure centre is in a separate building and seen better days although the pool is a good size and there are adult swimming times which is a plus. The breakast was rather ordinary but there was a reasonable selection.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
South Wales, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My daughter & I decided to go away for the New Year. So I then booked my break directly over the phone giving all my details my daughters, age and all to the Reception staff who were fine leading up to it and on arrival. As there was not much time left for afternoon tea we quickly left our room to go & get some, but arriving neighbouring occupants had a dog which they had to hold back from attacking us. Great! Very slim pickings left for tea, as it was a help yourself & they had even run out of hot water. I reported a faulty bathroom light which got sorted immediately. Bathroom linnen was dirty, the radiator in the room didnt work, so I called housekeeping. The radiator got sorted but no clean linnen arrived. I discovered hairs in the bath and black dirt around the plughole, so I had to clean it with wipes. We went to the Gala sat at a nice table and just as the food arrived a manager approached me saying it was an over 18 event in a leaflet I had vener seen before. I reminded him there was no mention during the call or on the website of this fact! Quite spoiled my evening but my daughter was fantastically behaved and received an ovation for her disco dancing "Ganham Style". Finally the dog in 107 woke me up @ barking am & 3am so no sleep for me at all! Breakfast was ok but cold toast , coffee colud be better. Wont be recommedning this hotel or the chain to any one!

Room Tip: We didnt know if we could use the spa or not not made clear on arrival by reception staff
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a voucher for afternoon tea for two so chose to go here as it was close to where we live in Gloucester. We were welcomed by a lovely receptionist and shown to a table which had been laid ready for 4 of us as we thought we would have my partners 2 children with us but only 1 of them came. I ordered tea and 1 pepsi and this was brought to the table quite promptly.We were told that there would be enough for the 3 of us but as my partners son eats very well we ordered an afternoon tea for him at a cost of £12.95. The sandwiches were cut in strips and there were 10 of them and they had been made earlier and kept in a fridge judging by the temperature. There were six small cakes and 3 very small scones with a pot of jam for each one and a large pot of cream. I really think that the voucher we had with a value of up to £29 plus £12.95 for the third one was to say the least a bit steep. The very friendly blonde lady on reception took £3. off but even so it was a lot to pay. I would say do not go for afternoon tea only.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a three night Christmas break. The meals were very good and the service was excellent. The Christmas programme laid on by the hotel was good with quizzes, bingo, afternoon tea and special meals on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and a Gala meal on Boxing Day. The room we had was warm, cleaned every day including Christmas Day and located with a view out onto the golf course. The route to it was a bit complicated so we just went outside and walked up to the reception area via the road.
We didn't use the spa as it was closed. We walked around the immediate area but a lot of the local walks were under water so couldn't be used.

The staff were very friendly and helpful . The restaurant service was good. We preordered our meals and they were brought to our table quickly. Breakfast was good with porridge available on request.

Some parts of the hotel did look a bit tired and worn, the doors to the main entrance needed a coat of varnish.

As I have previously said I couldn't fault the staff and the manager, who was there all over Christmas.
We had an enjoyable break away and would certainly return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel was one offering a Dining Experience that we had been given a voucher for so we decided to book an overnight stay as well.
The cost the hotel quoted was very expensive but got a good rate with LateRooms.com and upgraded to an Executive Room.
As has been said before the setting is impressive as is the hotel from the outside. Checking in was quick and directions given to our room. This involved going back outside for a small distance. The room we had certainly did not seem like an upgrade room and was very cold. I don't understand why in an English winter rooms are allocated to guest without the heating being switched on in advance. Generally the room decor was tired and outdated as was the hotel as a whole.
We did complain about the room and were assured it was an Executive Room and we could move if required but as we were only staying the one night decided not to.
The hotel on the Friday night we stayed was very quite with no atmosphere in the bar and dining areas. During a pre dinner drinks at 7pm, we were the only ones in the bar.
The food we had both for dinner and breakfast was very good and more than up for the room we had.
On checking out we were given a £10.00 discount (even on the reduced LateRooms.com rate).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked a romantic weekend for two at The Brook Tewkesbury Park Hotel in October. The website photos looked lovely and we were really looking forward to relaxing in the spa and lazing around our room. I was shocked with the whole experience as it was so poor. The staff and food were the only two good things about the place. Our room was dirty and smelt musty, the bathroom needed a good clean and a coat of paint and the Spa should have been closed down years ago. Working in hygiene, we were amazed at the health and safety issues with the Spa, such as temperature issues with the steam room, whirl pool and pool, mould everywhere and dirty changing rooms and towels. I felt sorry for the staff who worked so hard to try and please a few unhappy guests.

Room Tip: Go for lunch and do not stay!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

As we were visiting the area I booked a 2 night package via the website this on a half board basis.The view as you drive in is spectacular and the house looks impressive. Check in was easy and smooth reception staff were very friendly and efficient. The hotel appeared very quiet but apparently was well occupied. The room was a standard one nothing special but it was clean and the view impressive. The restaurant menu was the same both nights so i would guess the same all week, the restaurant was very quiet, the food well cooked and the staff very pleasant, I did have an issue with my meal on the first night but after a conversation with the restaurant manager all was resolved.The breakfast was reasonable but not of the highest quality

The leisure centre has a pleasant bar and eating area and the prices are not too bad. The golf course has wonderful views and according to my husband is a good challenging course.

Tewkesbury is not far and well worth a visit there are some antique shops and you can walk along the river is lovely, the abbey is also worth a visit and the parking is very cheap and plentiful.

Overall the hotel is very pleasant, quiet and has a nice location, but it is a little dated and could benefit from a facelift especially in the corridors near to the restaurant. The restaurant menu whilst comprehensive is not what i expected of a four star hotel.

The hotel in my opinion is not a four star but is definitely a three. Having said that we would return, but would recommend checking the website for the latest deals

Room Tip: There is no lift so bear that in mind when booking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tewkesbury Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!