“The Jessop Townhouse Review” 2 of 5 stars

The Jessop Townhouse
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   65 Church Street, Tewkesbury GL20 5RZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Tewkesbury B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“The Jessop Townhouse Review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for my friend's wedding.

Good Points:-

*Lovely breakfast

Bad Points:-

*Bedroom was a bit too cold.
*Due to confusion over the bookings, the Jessop was fully booked on the Saturday. The owners offered a camp bed in the lounge to sleep on but this was awful. I did not sleep at all. In hindsight, I should have looked for another hotel, when it became clear that no rooms were available on the Saturday night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Warby1, Owner at The Jessop Townhouse, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for submitting your review with your thoughts on your stay at Jessop House. We are shocked as to why the guests in question have submitted this review now in Feb 2013 but actually stayed here five months ago in September 2012.

I can assure the couple in question and our future guests that there was no confusion to this booking on our behalf.

Our neighbour booked three double rooms for two nights in their name for their daughters wedding at the Abbey, thus being responsible for the cost of the accommodation (in case of a 'no show). Near to the event we were in contact with the customer who was originally booked in for two nights by our neighbour. However in the week prior to the guest staying at Jessop House our neighbour attended our house stating that the couple in question would not be staying with us as they would now be staying at our neighbours house due to them having a bedroom available and they would only require the room for one night because their daughter (the bride) and her bridesmaid would be staying with us.

On the friday evening the guest in question attended our bed and breakfast and I informed them that our neighbour had cancelled the room and that they would be staying with our neighbour (as agreed between our neighbour and themselves). They were insistant that they would not stay with our neighbour as their friends were booked staying with us and they wanted to stay with their friends. I informed them that the room was only available for one night as the bride and bridesmaid were staying. They were still insistant that they wanted to stay so I asked our neighbour to come around to our house and resolve this issue. It was agreed by our neighbour and the couple in question that they would stay one night. When our neighbour left they stated that they needed somewhere to stay on the second night because they had had second thoughts about staying with our neighbours. We found alternative accommodation for the couple, however, this was also not to their liking as the price was too expensive and they were on a budget. I suggested that as their friends were staying in our family room which has a double and two single beds (it accommodated four adults comfortably) would it not be possible for them to share also making their stay more cost effective. They refused. We spent approximately one hour trying to come up with solutions, however, every one was unacceptable to them. They asked if we had 'z' beds (camp beds) we informed them that we only had one and we had nowhere to accommodate them. They asked if we could find another, I said that I would ask an employee if she had a 'z' bed and if so could we borrow it. Our employee brought another bed around to our house. After much deliberation we agreed to put the two beds in our living room however in doing this we had to re-arrange all of the furniture. No charge was made to the couple. In the morning they paid for the one night that they stayed in a room and left thanking us for any inconvenience caused. We heard nothing more until now.

In reply to their further comments.

The heating is on a wireless system and never goes below 18 degrees, however, if guests are cold they only have to inform us or turn the thermostat up which is located on the bottom of the radiator.

Value: Rated 2: Jessop House has just been totally renovated with high quality furnishings and soft furnishings. Attention to detail is paramount.

Location: Rated 3: The guests were part of a wedding party attending a wedding at Tewkesbury Abbey. Jessop House is across the road from the Abbey approximately 50 yards from the entrance.

Rooms: Rated 2: The guest stayed in Room 4, with all the facilities and more than you could find in a top class hotel. Bespoke chaise longue, luxurious velvet bedspread. No expense has been spared in renovating the room.

Cleanliness: Rated 3: We pride opurselves on the cleanliness of Jessop House and have just had a Visit England assessment where in the report we had 100% rating.

Service: Rated 2: Customer service is high on our list of priorities, ensuring the guest has an excellent experience staying with us by ensuring that all requirements and expectations are met at all times.

We have now been awarded a 5* rating by Visit England.

Christine WARBRICK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
preston,uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Right opposite the Abbey and perfect for shopping restaurants etc. We stayed in the 12th century part of the house room 6.I loved the ingenious way they had managed the ensuite!! Toilet in one cupboard, shower in the other. Brilliant. The decor was lovely and the room reasonably warm. The main drawback for me was the bed. We booked a super
King size bed and it was lovely and big, but, it was two mattresses. This meant that one of us was on a crack for most of the night. I'm assuming they had no choice but to do the bed in two parts due the logistics of getting a bed up there in the first place!
Breakfast was great. Owners super friendly. Wifi in the rooms. Tea and coffee making too.
The lounge has a help yourself honesty bar which was a really lovely touch. Would stay again but might be a little more picky about the room number.

• Stayed February 2013
Warby1, Owner at The Jessop Townhouse, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review after your recent visit.

We are please you enjoyed your stay at Jessop House and we look forward to welcoming you back again when you are in Tewkesbury.

We appreciate any feedback to enable us to maintain our high standards of service.

The bed in room 6 is a 'zip and link' bed made by a luxury manufacturer purpose made to either be configured as a super king bed or two singles. It has a mattress protector and a mattress enhancer over the bed and I can honestly say that everyone states how comfortable it is. I have taken your comments on board and I have purchased a thicker mattress enhancer therefore ensuring guests extra comfort at all times.

Regards

Chris WARBRICK
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Lovely couple running this impeccable B&B. Nothing was too much trouble. Had a very nice, well-proportioned room in the Georgian bit of the building (the "new" wing!) with en-suite shower. Very handy for the Abbey too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This house has been renovated in the last 15 months and the owners have truly made this the best bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in. The room was superbly decorated with high quality furnishings and everything was thought of for the guest. We stayed in the family room which was ideal for us with 2 young children. The breakfast was lovely and the owners went out of the way to accommodate our childrens tastes. All in all, you won't beat this bed and breakfast. Chris and Steve- good luck to you both for the future- you deserve to be a success with all the hard work and thought you have put into this new venture. Well done! The Watts.

• Stayed February 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent two nights at the Jessop just before Christmas and had a lovely time, Steve and Chris were extremely welcoming from the off and made us feel like family. We stayed in room 8 which is extremely comfortable - I had the best night's sleep I'd had in a long time! The next morning we had the full breakfast which was delicious and all locally sourced too which is nice.
We will definitely be returning this year and have recommended to our friends. It was everything we hoped for!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had booked for two nights at the nearby Bell Hotel and for me it was hell because I have a bad back and the bed was far too soft so I had to sleep on the floor. I checked out and after a recommendation from a lady at the Abbey knocked on the door of Jessops fifty yards down the road. As soon as Chris, the proprietor (the hotel is privately owned - not part of a chain) opened the door I knew I would be ok. The hotel (a two storey townhouse) is beautifully decorated, clean and fresh, and has a warm and friendly atmosphere and Chris allowed me to try out several rooms (to find the best bed for me). Room 10 had a nice hard one so I stayed there. The beds were all immaculate, and the breakfast was excellent in a very comfortable dining room - with white table cloths on the tables - these things do matter!

This (apparently) is a twelfth century grade 2 star listed building constructed at the same time as the Abbey just across the road (Chris gave me a history lesson) with interconnecting tunnels and a priest hole - but there is nothing old or shabby about the interior - it is well appointed to say the least - with family photographs everywhere - a nice touch! The giveaway (as to the age of the building) I belatedly noticed just before I left. It is the doorway height - in the twelfth century people were shorter!

I felt a bit embarrassed to have to leave after just one night because Steve and Chris took such good care of me.

Room Tip: Just ask Chris or Steve to show you round! My room (no 10) was on the top floor at the back with an...