“Lovely Pub but not so good at anything else!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 68 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A 16th century thatched building nestled in the heart of the Cotswold village of Alderton. Just a 10 minute drive from Cheltenham and off junction 9 of the M5 we are ideally situated for any dining occasion. Open from 9.30Am serving fresh coffee with a smile, our award winning Freehouse epitomises everything that is good about homecooking, hospitality and value for money.
Cheltenham
“Lovely Pub but not so good at anything else!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I visited this place on a spur of the moment after seeing the Brown sign on the side of the road, i wish we didn't bother! The waitresses were lovely however the female owner was very rude and abrupt, to her staff and customers! She is very forward in telling you how successful her two restaurants are, well when my food came out and we complained because it was of poor quality she gave her staff no support and just sent messages to our table through the waitresses! this was very poor service and i was very surprised as she is the owner? Such a shame because lovely staff and a lovely pub just disappointed in the lack of care from owner...
Lastly i was very put off when there long haired dog came from the kitchen? not good!!!

Visited November 2011
TewkesburyBoathouse, Owner at The Gardeners Arms, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
As owners of the Gardeners Arms we have only recently taken back over the running of the business from managers employed at the end of summer last year. We inherited many service related issues and have been working hard with all staff concerned to retrain them, especially on the issue of problem resolving and complaint handling whereby staff take ownership of there customers.
Whilst we try to satisfy all customers needs, sometimes we get things wrong, but we pride ourselves on addressing these issues and resolving them satisfactorily before customers leave.

As regards the dog, we are pet friendly but only in the bar area and for the last 3 years have achieved a 5 star rating for our kitchen hygiene and management guidelines.

Gloucestershire
“Going downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We've eaten at the Gardeners Arms before and it was good, but after lunch today, we won't be going back.

The table was covered in dust, our glasses both had lipstick on them, and the food was overpriced and nothing special. Desserts were especially bad, with lukewarm custard and pastry the consistency of shoe leather.

Despite it being sunny outside, the restaurant was freezing. Such a shame, as this place used to be great!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
we pride ourselves on our food and service quality and as an award winning free house we rely on customer feedback to continually review and improve our service deliver. On this occasion it would appear that we let both ourselves and customers down badly.
Measures have been taken to ensure these issues don't happen again.
London, United Kingdom
“Nice staff, nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were served food by a friendly young enough girl, there are comfy couches and nice relaxing atmosphere. The food was good for pub grub and a reasonable enough price. Only don't bother with dessert!! That was the only bit that wasn't fab, but still nice for a pub dinner

Visited November 2011
England
“Nice beers, poor food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Nice pub, great selection of beers, friendly waitress. However, the food was nothing special. We ordered liver and onion with mashed potatoes from the specials board, and the mash was not only made out of powder, but the powder was still on the plate. When we pay £10.95 for a main course at lunchtime, we expect better. They could reduce number of items on their menu to half (they had about 15 main courses on the menu plus almost 10 on the specials board), and improve quality. We would go back for drinks, but not for food.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Rude waitress, food not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We have been coming to the Gardeners Arms for years (last visited August 2011 when we had an amazing meal), but it appears to have changed hands since then, which is a great shame.
There was a family group of five of us, including my two teenage sons (one of whom has Aspergers Syndrome, and likes his food very plain.) My son ordered a burger which was listed on the menu as having bacon and chili relish. I asked the waitress to make sure there was only bacon on the burger and with much huffing and puffing, she duly noted this. When the burger arrived, it was covered in grated cheese, and I asked her to please take it away and bring it back with just bacon as requested. She was very cross at this and started huffing and puffing again and then tried to start an argument with me about what I had ordered! The other family members I was with were absolutely shocked to hear her speak to me in that way, and if I hadn't had my sons with me, I would have walked out there and then!
My brother had the fish & chips and said that the fish was still frozen in the middle, my other son ad ordered the 10oz steak, but the item he was presented with could not have been more than 5oz at most, and my vegetables accompanying the burnt pie were inedible (they were so unpleasant that I actually had to spit them out!)
We will not be returning to the Gardeners Arms ever again unless it changes ownership again.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
As an award winning free house we pride ourselves on great locally sourced foods all home cooked with service standards to match. It would appear that my staff got things horribly wrong on this occasion and failed to both listen to the customers needs or satisfactorally check back.

Good news is the old owners are back and we have changed the management team that took over in August 2011 and addressed the many training issues highlighted. Furthermore we have brought in an allergy chart for all our meals in order that all customers are better informed on all meal choices and re-educated all our staff on food allergies and there consequences.