“Awful service and tasteless food!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Walsall
“Awful service and tasteless food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I went to this hotel for a Christmas party and must say I will never return! The food was disgusting so I didn't eat it and wasnt even asked if the food was enjoyed in which i would have replied no! But the worst part about my experience was the service, every member of staff that I engaged with on the night was rude, unpleasant and seemed like they didn't have a clue what they were doing! I am always polite to people so did not see why everyone was so rude but after speaking to others they had had the same treatment, we paid a lot of money for the evening and was very disappointed with how we were treated! We felt unwelcome and it ruined the evening! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and anyone who is planning on going I'll be sure to share my experience abd advise them to not step foot inside! I think the staff need to be re-trained on how to treat guests!

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Luv2travel881,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. I am truly sorry the food served during your even did not live up to your expectations and regret you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and service we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Visiting family in walsall i chose this hotel for closeness to my destination.my welcome at reception was warm and inviting thank you lisa for making me feel welcome.the room i had was spacious and warm.i decidex to stay in to eat due to the weather and was welcomed by avi who introduced me to his staff michelle t.laura and sally who couldnt have been more helpful.my meal exceeded all expectations was attractive to the eye and was very moreish.all the staff made me feel at home and i look forward to going here again when im next in walsall.

• Stayed December 2012
Scott R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear ooooooohyes,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, regarding your stay with us.
It was nice to read that whilst visiting your family locally, you received such great service from the whole team in the hotel.
From the moment you walked through the door to having a warm reception at check-in, to a great experience at dinner, it certainly does reward us all knowing we have ensured you had a great stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and look forward to reading further reviews from you.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First impression - very good! Manager came onto coach to give us room keys which saved any possible check in times and gave details about meal times etc. Rooms refurbished and very nice. lovely beds/pillows and bed linen. Only 2 from our group needed assistance with slight problems with the rooms (otherwise it would be 5/5). Leisure suite was really nice and the added bonus for extra relaxation - jacuzzi - very nice! Evening meal 3 courses and the staff who waited on were very kind, helpful and friendly - couldn't do enough for us. Some very lovely local people invited us to their discos which we thoroughly enjoyed and danced for 3 hours. Very impressive entertainment provided by the hotel. Have already asked the coach company if they can book us into this hotel for the next trip away we organise - It was that good!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Claire P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear MrsHaytch1,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments online. We are all pleased you and your party enjoyed your visit with us and liked our new bedrooms. I am happy you managed to find 5 minutes to venture into the leisure club as well, I am sure it was a well earned break.
More importantly I am delighted to read your comments about the team, it is always nice to go back to them and confirm they are indeed doing a great job and this is being recognised, which I will take great pelasure in.
Finally I suppose all that is left for me to do is wish you a very Merry Christmas and look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Wow what fabulous food and brilliant customer service. We've tried lots of Christmas meals over the years but this was the best by far. The beef was so tender, all the food was top class. Excellent value for money.see you again soon

Dear flojo3,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments.
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent Christmas Party with us and I am sure the team are equally as pleased.
As I am sure you are aware it is a very busy time for us at the hotel and always gives us a lift when we receive such positive comments.
Thank you once again and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A sprawling two floor hotel right beside the M6 at Junction 10 may not sound like too good an intro! But the site has a lot to commend it - it's shielded from some motorway noise by a thick row of trees and shrubs; many of the rooms face away from the road, backing onto lawns and houses; only two floors high so no-one looks down onto heavy interurban traffic; plenty of car parking; frequent buses pass the entrance going to Walsall and Wolverhampton.
The rooms are modern and up-to-date, clean and well presented as always at a Holiday inn. It's just that all was not well. Our room (250) backed onto what looked like the plant for the swimming pool - noisy even with the windows shut and hopeless with them open. No trouble getting moved but that solved my problem not the main issue! No towels in the second room but a call had them brought within a few minutes. Reception staff attitude was a problem - no feeling that we were welcome or that they actually gave a damn!
Giving Priority Club customers a voucher for one drink looks handy - but asking the bar server to serve the pint of beer on offer as two halves was not a good move! At 5.30 pm the bar tables were still stained with dried-on remnants of earlier drink service.
After a very busy breakfast session the buffet was depleted and choice limited by 9.15 am. By then the staff members were clearly tired and getting tea and coffee meant waylaying a waiter because all eye-contact with any customer was actively avoided.
So, in summary, nice place spoilt by poor management and lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Keep away from room numbers around 250 and those on the front elevation because that faces the motor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear shipyardtales,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the hotel. I must say I am pleased and sorry for the experience as it seems to have been a mixed one.
I am glad you enjoyed your bedroom, as you say we have only opened in the last 12 months and the bedrooms are of a great new standard. I am also pleased you were recognised as a Priority Club member there are some great benefits from the programme.
Having recently joined the business there are a number of enhancements we are currently making to the business to improve the custoemr journey and would very much hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to discuss how these changes have impacted the business.
Thank you once again for your time, regards
Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Since my first review of this hotel I have stayed on a further two occasions. First was a couple of months ago. I booked a standard room with the hope of an upgrade as a platinum member. The receptionist couldn't have been more miserable she made it very plain that she was not going to upgrade me with the usual lie that there are no executive rooms available. I informed her that they were available to book online and therefore must be available. She just shrugged and said there were none. The night manager was equally unhelpful and unfriendly giving me some rubbish about the online booking system not being up to date. Just couldn't be bothered would have been far more likely. After my stay I sent an email to the general manager regarding his receptionists and night managers bad attitude but he didn't bother to reply. I guess the rest of the management team and staff take their lead from his couldn't care less attitude. The second stay last night had a much cheerier guy on reception and I was immediately offered an upgrade and checked in to a really nice clean and comfortable executive room. A great start! At around 7pm I decided to go down for dinner. When I got to the bar it was packed with various Christmas parties complete with full restaurant and noisy disco. After a 25 minute wait to get served at the bar I asked if I could get some food. I was told they were not doing any food as they were full of Christmas party bookings. The barman suggested room service. This was fine as it was so busy and noisy. I phoned down to place my order and got told that on top of the £13.95 I was being asked to pay for a burger I would then have to pay £4.50 tray charge and then 10% service charge. I said I didn't think a £4.50 tray charge was appropriate as I was quite happy to eat in the restaurant they just wouldn't let me. The lady on the phone said she would fetch the restaurant manager. Her attitude was as good as the night manager on my previous visit. She would not budge on the tray charge. Just repeating over and over how busy they were and if I wanted to eat I would have to pay the £4.50. She might as well have said we are busy enough and couldn't give a damn if you eat here or not. On closer inspection of the menu there is no mention of a tray charge just very small print telling you that the 10% service charge goes to pay the staff bonus! Is it just me that thinks that is disgusting? If holiday inn value their staff and want to pay them a bonus that's great but why the hell should I pay it for them? In the end I decided the £20 total charge for a burger and chips was too much to swallow and went elsewhere. Checkout next day was terrible. A queue of 4 people waiting to pay and an unmanned reception. We all waited 10 minutes, still nobody, so we just left. It is such a shame as this is a recently refurbished hotel in a great location. All it needs is a new management team without the couldn't care less attitude.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Claire P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Andy,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience, I am sorry to read it was no-where near the standards you should expect when visiting us.
I have recently joined the hotel as the General Manager and value our guests feedback, as it gives us an immediate direction to focus our development on.
Following your previous visit I was pleased to see the attitude of reception has improved, but equally embarassed of your experience within the restaurant. Regardless of the levels of business, the least I would expect is clear communication to all of our guests whilst staying with us and to accommodate each and every one of their requests individually, which apparently did not happen in this case.
Andy, perhaps the next time you are visiting the area, you would do me the courtesy to contact me directly at the hotel and I can take care of all your arrangements for you. It would also be good to meet with you and catch up regarding your previous experiences and I could let you know of the changes we are making.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it is invaluable to continually develop our business.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Arrived to a lovly welcome drink, with a chance to relax in the lounge, we were showed through to the resturant which was decorated and looked amazing the table stocked with wine which was a very nice touch, we cant thank the staff enough, rob and avi and the team did very well and are a privlage to the hotel. And WOW what a dinner what can i say tasted fab and very good portion sizes,and with out a doubt better than the village hotel where we spent last xmas, it was an great deal and would recomend to any one..
Was good to see the chef out talking to the guest's and getting feedback at the end of the night was a nice little touch, great music,attmosphere and overall night

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shez 25,
Thank you for commenting on your recent party night with us. I am delighted to hear all the hard work we put in to our customer service is actually received.
As you mentioned the evening was a great success and we have received a number of positive comments, including repeat bookings already for next year which is great.
I was also pleased to receive your comments mentioning Rob and Avi, whom I will take time to congratulate. It was also nice to get feedback on the chef, who takes a lot of pride in his work and Michael has requested to come 'out front' and solicit for feedback, to continually develop the experience we offfer. These guys work so hard to deliver great customer service, it is nice to have the feedabck to give to them.
Thank you once agian for the comments, I wish you a very Merry Christmas and New Year for the rest of the festive season and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Scott Randall

Been to Holiday Inn Walsall M6, Jct.10? Share your experiences!