“Shabby but definitely not chic” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £63
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Watford
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Shabby but definitely not chic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The positives
Nicely appointed room, new fresh crisp bedlinen and a comfy mattress.conference rooms a good ambient temperature
The OKs
Breakfast, lunch and dinners ( attending a conference and the food and refreshments were a bit better than i might have expected )
The negatives

The shabby public areas, the arm rests on the chairs in the bar were revoltingly grimy.and whilst sitting in the grimy chairs you can have a small glass of wine for £7.50 which is exorbitant.
The toilets in the bar area smelled of overfilled bins or drains, one door had a lock that had fallen off
My room was too hot and the windows full of condensation, very difficult to get a comfortable
temperature.i wanted to take a bath but one look at the plug hole put me off.. Again revolting
The sound amplification in the conference room was poor, feedback and loud squeals from the mikes accompanied almost every speaker .. Why?This was a conference room for goodness sake,
The whole place looks like it needs a makeover.Once upon a time the Hilton was synonymous with quailty and luxury.. Well not at this one
Ive given an average rather than a poor as i did have a good nights sleep and at the end of the day thats what it mainly all about

574 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Derendingen, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stay per month arround 10 - 15 nights in a hotel, this was one of the worste stay since many month. Old fashion - room totaly outdated, far to expensive for what you get - The hotel the night before for a lower rate and lower price but far ahead of this Hilton -never again

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was a birthday weekend planned by my wife and it was the most terrible experience, the hotel is rated 4* however when you enter the room it makes a 2* look amazing.

Initially we checked in we had booked a double room and the room standard was poor, dirty walls, flys in the room, dead flies on the floor, bathroom door was damp, stains on the floor... It was disgusting, we made a complaint and were upgraded into a king room as a good will gesture.

However this did not get any better, the room looked good and was an improvement however there was a function in one of their halls and all you heard was loud bass and music coming into the room, we made a complaint and were told this would go on until 01.30 at night, after being furious at this they recommended moving us into another room for us to sleep whereby the music will not be heard.... We explained that it was 23.30 and we had already moved room once not only that but all our clothes etc have been unpacked and it would cause a major inconvenience to move rooms now they recommended to leave our personal belonging and sleep in another room .... However we declined this as we were previously told that no liability for items would be covered for items left in the room unattended.... Therefore if something went missing they would not be held responsible.

The bar service was even worse as it took them around 15 minutes to make a mojito as the bar attended didn't know how to.... Plus made it with another alcohol as barcardi was missing and didn't think to ask if we would prefer another....

This is one regrettable move booking this hotel and would recommended everyone to use holiday inn as I have never had a problem with them

• Stayed September 2013
galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Coming to Watford from Ireland for a family wedding we were pleasantly surprised and delighted with our stay at the Hilton hotel,everything from room ,food,staff was excellent and certainly great value for the money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Although the exterior looks a little tired, the reception is clean, fresh and welcoming. We were warmly greeted by the excellent reception staff. We stayed in a superior room, and the upgrade was well worth it. As we arrived late, and the restaurant was closed, we ate in the bar. The food was ok but not good value for money.... pricey and small portions. The hotel is very well located for north London, and our room was quiet, although near the main road. Another bonus, whereas many hotels now cheekily charge for overnight parking, The Hilton offers (correctly) free overnight parking for guests. We would certainly stay again.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I liked:
1. The pool (good for kids)
2. Half of the reception staff
3. Children's menu at the main restaurant
4. Location for Warner bros studio tour

I didn't enjoy;
1. Most of the service
2. Noisy rooms
3. No interconnection between rooms

Location: in the middle of nowhere but it is close to Warner bros studios (taxi costs gbp 10-15) and the motorway. Taxi from Watford junction was less than gbp 10.

Public areas: bit warn down. He bar downstairs is okay and the restaurant serves decent food and had a long children's menu (which is always appreciated).

There is a swimming pools and a hot tube. We thought these were great as they managed to cater for both children and swimmers. It was not a busy day so it was nice and calm.

Service: reception service was great at check in she was very pleasant and got us in quickly whilst noticing the children, which they loved. Check out was a different story. The guy would not say good morning. Or I fact really anything. Only at last moment after I paid did he manage to ask me if I had nice day.

The housekeeping service was a let down as well as we found that our room had not been prepared before our arrival and it took 3h for the staff to make things right.

Rooms: now this hotel has lot of children but although we had booked two rooms we did not gt interconnected rooms which meant lot of back and forth and banging doors. The rooms are it very quiet and you can hear people in the corridor, which is annoying when there a wedding in the hotel.

Breakfast: typical Hilton breakfast. It was quite busy and they seemed to be running out of stuff. Still nothing to really complain about

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Having booked using Booking.com, who I always use and have never had any problems with.We arrived with confirmation of reservation email in-hand...to be told that the booking was not in 'the system'...however rooms where available. I pointed out to the receptionist that they had just booked my bother-in-law in and that was it possible that they had mixed his name up with mine. She passed us on to a colleague who denied this but said 2 of my brother-in-laws rooms still had to check in. As I knew my niece was still to arrive and she only required 1 room I said yes then you have used my room to book my brother-in-law in as my niece had booked her fathers room for him and it was quite plain to us that this is what had happened...I got my room which they still denied they had mixed names up with and no apology for the rudeness of the reception staff...it turns out that my niece had booked 3 rooms 2 in her married name and 1 for her Grandfather....the room I booked had infact been given to my Brother-in-law...a total shambles Hilton...much doubt we will use you again. Apart from that room was ok, some lights didn't work, tv didn't work, noisy outside,expensive and slow bar....meal was good in Restaurant, staff ok but grumpy,that Evening....Breakfast was good, staff much more cheerful the following day, room serviced well, but still problem with lights and tv,plus the card key needed reactivating which ment a long walk back to reception....I would not recommend this Hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Watford? Share your experiences!