“Nice but pricey” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Top Dartford Road, Dartford DA2 7QH, England   |
Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Dartford
“Nice but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I treated my boyfriend to a belated birthday and stayed in the recently refurbished Mullberry Master Suite after paying an extra £60 as an upgrade on top a living social deal I had purchased.

The greeting at reception was good and we were given a brief tour round before being shown to our room.

The room itself it beautiful. The decor is light & modern with a stunning bathroom area to match. Nice use of lighting. First impressions were very good. Nice little selection of spa toiletries, large LCD TV, docking station but I couldn't use as I have an iPhone 5. Robes, slippers, Magazines, teas, coffees and bottled waters all included in our room.

As we settled in we did start to find our room a little on the warm side, even with all radiators off and windows opened. There was a fan in the bottom of the wardrobe but we didn't use it. Air conditioning would have been a nice addition. The room is also situated above the reception area so we did experience only slight noise from down below.

We had a table booked at RG's restruant where we had a both had a main meal and I had dessert. I didn't really find any of the starters that appealing. As part of our voucher we had £30 per person to spend on our meal, this though only just really covers your main. The service was very attentive however they did get my order wrong & brought out the wrong steak. I accepted to still eat it. They were very apologetic and took our £25 bottle of wine off the bill as compensation. The food itself was quite good. The only couple of points I would make is that the size of the additional side dishes very small and poor value for money. Also I was not offered a steak knife with my meal which made things a bit difficult.

Service charge is 12.5%

During the stay I wanted to take advantage of the freestanding oversized bath in our room. For me at 5"7 and the boyfriend at 6"2 it was a bit snug but still a nice relaxing opportunity.

The bathroom also has a nice shower area with a large shower head which I did expect to be a bit more powerful but still pleasant enough.

Overnight I found the room really get quite stuffy at hot. The bed was a great size but bit on the firm side for me, found myself to keep waking up from it. The sheets are also folded in so tight that I had to ask my boyfriend the pull them up for me so I was able to get comfortable.

Breakfast the following morning was nice with a adequate selection of cereal, pasteries and juices. My cooked breakfast was nice and I was able to swap items I didnt want included.

I also had a back massage booked which was lovely, my therapist, Claire B was very sweet and charming & worked absolute magic on my back. Treatments are pricey but as I booked in advance I did receive 20% off. I didn't have time to make use of the spa facilities but still had a quick nose around. All seemed nice with a roman theme surrounding the pool and bath areas, changing area and facilities all seemed clean but just a little on the tired side. Nothing a lick of paint couldn't sort.

On checking out there was a mistake where they tried to charge me twice for the massage but was quickly amended.

All in all, on top of the voucher deal. We had to settle an additional £100 but that did include the £60 room upgrade. Most of the damage came from the drinks tab. Damn my Malibu & diet coke costing almost £6 a time! I was also a bit dissaponinted by the £9.50 cocktails that came in the same size glass as my spirit & mixer did. Overall I feel it was a nice break for me and the boyfriend. I would recommend it to couples looking for a little romantic break.

Yes, even with my voucher it turned out to be a bit pricey and some might argue not value for money but still a nice treat and getaway. Thanks Rowhill, I may have to get another voucher and try another master suite again sometime.

• Stayed November 2013

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked up for an anniversary treat and what we got was a disappointing waste of time and money. The spa we got splashed many times from the jet spray so not at all relaxing and then over night despite telling the front desk that there was too much noise going on nothing was done about it. Other customers made the same call up until 3am but still no action. I have had better stays in a cheap travel lodge and even though we sent in a complaint poor response.

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A very pleasant table in the conservatory restaurant was the setting for a birthday treat afternoon tea. I took my daughter (23) for the chocolate traditional afternoon tea option: a variety of finger sandwiches (smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber, egg mayonnaise, ham and mustard), a selection of chocolate cakes and scones with cream and chocolate sauce, all washed down with cupfuls of hot chocolate. In fact, this was chocolate overkill and we didn't manage to finish our tea, but we knew what we were having so that was out fault not theirs. Service was good, if a little slow at times and at around £20 per person was very reasonable. Would certainly go there again, though probably not for the chocolate option!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear greyingfast,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Chocolate Afternoon Tea here at Rowhill Grange.

We were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed her Birthday celebrations!

I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards

Wendover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Spa breaks? They don't seem up to date with what guests need for a spa break. The spa facilities are down in the basement. It was hot, noisy, and uncomfortable with very little relaxation space and no fresh air, also it looked tired and dated. There was nowhere within the hotel for spa guests to relax in comfortable chairs, nowhere to chill or read, so we were confined to the room. The lounge area is small dark and gloomy with a strange mixture of furniture & weird colour scheme (personal opinion), generally there were no seats available anyway. The other area to sit is in the bar/cafe, you have to eat or drink though and it's not for sitting for any length of time with a book or magazine etc. plus lots of 'reserved' notices on tables. However, the rooms are nice, functional and fit for purpose, lovely comfy beds. The food it good, not very generous with the portions but tasty. breakfast very nice. The staff pleasant and efficient.
As a 'hotel with a pool and some spa facilities' then I guess it works however for specific SPA breaks then one expects more. The combination of hotel, spa breaks, wedding and events venue doesn’t seem to work.

Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

After booking Rowhill Grange for a special break last week we were left throughly impressed and relaxed when we arrived at the picturesque hotel in Hextable.

We booked a master suite and were delighted when we entered our suite called 'The Mullberry suite' where we had state of the art facilities and technology. The room was of excellent proportion with a comfy and large bed and amazing open plan bathroom.

The suite was clean and well decorated and was of good value for money.

We totally enjoyed our stay and were made to feel part of a large family from the moment we arrived till the present day. Everyone was wonderful and professional throughout our stay.

The spa was amazing and the restaurant served the most delicious food we have ever tasted.

One special experience which for us was the highlight of the stay was afternoon tea in our room on Thursday 24th October. My husband called the brasserie for room service and was greeted by a young man. He answered the phone professionally and politely. My husband enquired if it was possible to have afternoon tea as room service. The young man explained that it was possible and would check with the chef if there was enough portions as we hadn't booked. Within two minutes later the young man called back and explained it was possible. He took the order and explained it would be about 15-20 minutes which was a reasonable amount of time. He confirmed the order to check everything was correct and asked if we required anything else. Around 15 minutes later the young man arrived at the room with the tea, champagne and crockery. We then found this to be a waiter called Luke Bradley. We were throughly impressed when he politely knocked on the door and bought the tray to the table. Luke explained the afternoon tea would be around 5 minutes and set the table in preparation for the afternoon tea stand coming up. We thought this was excellent attention to detail as he could of just left the tray on the table and left us to unload it. Luke poured the tea for us meaning we didn't have to lift a finger and could continue enjoying our relaxing stay. He then explained he would get a fresh pot of tea and bring it up with the afternoon tea stand which should arrive shortly. Within 5 minutes Luke bought the afternoon tea to the room and the fresh tea. He then went on to thoroughly explain the afternoon tea by detailing the 4 types of sandwiches, 4 types of pastry and fresh homemade scones with cream and jam. Again we thought this was a fantastic personal touch and well above a basic service. Luke could have just left the afternoon tea stand and not explained it which would of still been of 4* standard however he went above and beyond to give an excellent description an leave us feeling well informed and impressed. After serving the afternoon tea we asked Luke about the local area and again was given a descriptive and detailed response. We would like the hotel to pass our personal thanks to Luke as he is a credit to the hotel and goes above and beyond for the guests. However we decided to admire the view from our room on the beautiful sunny afternoon and go for a short walk round the grounds to burn of the extra calories from the lovely afternoon tea.

Later on that evening we dined in the main restaurant where we were once again served by excellent staff and saw Luke again who made us feel extra special by enquiring about our day. He and the other staff made everyone feel special and from a customer point of view the service was very smooth and effective.

All of the staff were excellent and we would like to say a huge thank you for making our stay so special and memorable. I hope the hotel continue to provide a great service and employ excellent staff who care about the guests. We left feeling part of the family and will definitely return in the future.

Many Thanks Rowhill Grange

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review of your experience at Rowhill Grange.
I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with the hospitality and facilities at the hotel.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words about Luke – He really is a credit to the hotel and I know he was very proud to hear how pleased you were with your Afternoon Tea.
Once again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Best regards
Rochester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

As a birthday treat my disabled son and my wife arranged for a Sunday lunch at the hotel. It had been recommended and it was also a chance to check out the venue for my firms Christmas lunch.
Upon arriving the signs indicated that the disabled access was at the rear of the building which so we did not get to see the grounds or the building itself just the delivery access which was a little disappointing.
We buzzed to enter and a very rude young lady opened the door without introducing herself and we were ushered in to the spa as if we had really inconvenienced her. No one then told us where we were supposed to go and we has to ask and make our way through a small crowded spa full of people in bath robes to a small reception desk.
Here again we had to ask were the restaurant was and the incredibly rude receptionist just vaguely waved and almost grunted directions.
When shown to our seat past a room full of people in bath robes ( so much for dress code) we were shown into a small conservatory which was quite full and our table was in a corner next to a large table of people having afternoon tea ( it was 1pm). My wife had to squeeze past a large pram and then we noticed that the sun was shining in my sons eyes. We asked if there were blinds but the manager said no and he asked if my son could change places which was nonsense considering he is in a wheelchair. We asked if had another table available and eventually we were shown begrudgingly to an unmade table in the room with everyone in bath robes. Clearly a joke. We eat out a lot and stay in many hotels and this is the first time I have left a restaurant due to bad service before the menu has even arrived. Quite incredible. Perhaps the hotel has issues with disabled guests in wheelchairs or was having a bad day but frankly the worst service I have seen in UK.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Naturally I am disappointed to receive your review.
I can personally assure you the hotel does not have any issue whatsoever with disabled guests in wheelchairs and am very sorry indeed you have this impression.
Unfortunately, the age and nature of the building make access via the front of the hotel very difficult and we have therefore taken practical steps to ensure access can be gained via the rear of the hotel with dedicated parking facilities.
I understand you were unhappy with the location of your table, but that said the team tried their utmost to accommodate your request when you voiced your dissatisfaction. The reason the tables were not clothed in this area was due to our Spa Day guests dining in the area concerned. For this service we have a more relaxed set up, which doesn’t include the use of cloths. This was also the very reason the team did not want to place your booking in amongst these customers.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked this as a wedding anniversary getaway via Travelzoo and got a fantastic deal. We stayed in Narcissus (a luxury room), which was reasonably sized and well designed/maintained. The spa facilities are very good, there's a gym with treadmills and weights, a hot tub, a swimming pool and a relaxation pool. The spa area is made to look like a roman villa which is quite breathtaking. My only fault is that it does need to be re-decorated as the paint/wall paper was missing in some spots. The restaurant was absolutely amazing and certainly the highlight for me. The food is simply gorgeous, and the portions are large enough to leave you full (always a worry in some spas). I had a all-body massage and the masseuse was really good, and worked the knots out of my system and left me totally relaxed.
I would highly reccommend this place, both my wife and I had a great, great time.

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.
I am delighted you enjoyed your anniversary celebration so much and we were particularly pleased to read your kind comments about the quality of the treatments and our food offering. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.
We hope we are able to welcome you back to Rowhill Grange in the near future.
Kind regards
James

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!