“Curiousity won the day!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Curiousity won the day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

A great place to get value for money, especially the lunch deals. I would definately come back here whether alone or with a group if friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tonbridge, Kent
“Rude waiter and over-priced average tasting food....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really disappointed with Kala Red. After looking at the menu online I thought the food all sounded really nice and slightly nicer than your bog-standard Chinese takeaway type food. However the food was really average and should have been cheaper for the quality.

I visited on a weekday and the restaurant was empty. We were sat in the empty upstairs area, where they put on some kind of 90s megamix CD, which didn’t really create the atmosphere I was after on a Tuesday night! The guy serving us was really rude and abrupt. It made the whole thing extremely awkward. When we left we said thank you and goodbye to the waiter, but he pretty much ignored us and didn’t say a word. Would not return back to Kala Red, as there are so many better Chinese restaurants out there with much better service and a much better quality of food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“A great meal again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I took my partner there as a pre-valentine treat and we really enjoyed it. We'd been twice before as part of large groups but this was the first time on our own.
I booked on line which was brilliant as I immediately received a confirmation text and e mail. The door staff waved us straight upstairs. The waiting staff were attentive without being intrusive and we had the pick of tables as there was plenty of space available. Despite not being full this did not detract from the atmosphere.
The food was great. My partner even e mailed them afterwards as we adore their delicious prawn toasts and the chef e mailed back.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves chinese food
Just one slight complaint-the flush mechanism on the ladies' lavatory is strange and temperamental-could be embarrassing but I'm sure that could be sorted

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have been to Kala Red a couple of times recently as part of a small group and both times have been excellent. We had a lovely round table which is perfect for a group as you can all chat easily.

The food was plentiful and you get large portions of the rice! The drinks service was brilliant and we were never left wanting as the staff were all very observant.

The food is really tasty and arrived quickly.

Visited December 2012
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Unexplored gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We've been drinking in Kala Red for years - love the free prawn crackers! But have never eaten there. The place was deserted, only one other table ate while we were there, but the food was first class. Chinese is so often a greasy mess with dishes all tasting the same, but this was really good. Drinks were pricey, but the service and food more than made up for it.

• Visited September 2012