“Cuisine at it's finest!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Townhouse Restaurant

The Townhouse Restaurant
74 King Street | The Townhouse Hotel, Maidstone ME14 1BH, England (Formerly Gareth Cox at The Townhouse)
01622 663266
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Townhouse Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 205 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: European, English
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Town House hotel is a newly refurbished and extended 18 room boutique hotel that provides a relaxed environment for guests.The Town House hotel creates a unique and inviting atmosphere for diners in it's 20-30 seat fine dining restaurant.
London, United Kingdom
“Cuisine at it's finest!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I decided to eat hear after the reviews I had recently read and the feed back from chefs that work in the industry. This establishment really gave me the WOW Factor!!! Something that I don't really get much theses days. The service is tip top and I felt that I was back at the Le gavroche, London. It gave me that same feeling as when I eat there years ago.
I would describe the food at The Townhouse as Modern European with Modern Fashion. To think that the residents of Maidstone have a great eating place on their door step they really do need to make the most of this place. To get something as good as this you would need to commute to London or even further afield. The Menu is fantastic and has been very well executed. This shows that the Chef Gareth Cox has a great culinary mind set and skill. Without a shadow of a doubt this chef knows what he's doing and so much love and passion is shown in the way the food is presented.
To every body at Gareth Cox at The Townhouse keep the great work up and will be back soon

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Good food, not much atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary last week. We thought that the food was good but was lacking the wow factor and couldn't manage to get a bottle of wine cooled correctly for some reason.

The main negative was the lack of atmosphere due to there only being 6 tables and fairly bright lighting along with a truly awful CD playing elevator music in the background.

The main plus was that the small portions were well cooked and presented and the price was reasonable for what you got. Its definitely well above average but maybe our expectation was set too high and we came away under-awed.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Just Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Normally I go to a Similar type restaurant in Faversham, but thought I'd try something a little closer to home for my fiancées birthday, and I'm glad I did. The food was excellent and service to boot. The chef has done a great job of putting a menu together with flavours that just work together. Portions are the right size so you don't get that blotted feeling after you've eaten. Prices are very reasonable too and reflect the quality of the food and the fact that most of it is locally sourced. Will definitely be recommending it to friends and family!

Visited January 2014
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

recently ate here on a Friday evening, I'd seen a offer on Facebook for the Menu de Jour £17.95 when they brought the menu it was alacart, after a little persuasion they gave us the special menu. Beautiful food every mouthful was a pleasure, my only snipe is that I feel it is a touch expensive at the alacart prices. Had a very pleasant evening staff very attentive hope to go back soon.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kent, England
“70th Birthday Visit on Sunday 12th January”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

On arrival the first impressions were that the Dining Room was quite sparse. On reflection we feel some thought should be given to tablecloths and flowers.
I indicated on the telephone when booking that we were having a special lunch to celebrate my mothers 70th Birthday and was advised that something a little special would be done for her, however nothing materialised.
The food however was extremely well presented and hot although vegetables and sauces were a little late arriving. We were already quite a way through eating our meals by this time otherwise our food would have been cold. The wine list was rather expensive so maybe some better value options could be considered as well as the house wine which incidentally we did not have.
We would return however it would be nice to see some of the changes above implemented. We do eat out in many restaurants on a regular basis and just felt the whole experience we had did not quite match up to the reviews on here. My mum was certainly not made to feel special enough, I did in fact mention to the waitress when she was serving desserts " that's for the birthday girl". Nothing was picked up upon!
We had chosen this restaurant in preference to Kits Coty due to the reviews. I, when dining at Kits Coty in the past felt it was cold with sparse furniture and for my mother I wanted to get the whole experience, good food and ambience. We just did not get the latter!!
The food was very good however and we wish this restaurant to succeed hence this constructive review.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere