“Different & nice!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 223 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a very small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food". As a latter day caveman from the Dordogne, you can expect my food to be rustic, simple, fresh and cooked to order. The atmosphere is lively & happening, the decor unpretentious and the service unfussy. We serve breakfast in the morning, French cafe favourites at lunchtime like Croque Monsieur, Pates & Omelettes and 4 evenings a week (Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat) we offer classic French bistro dishes - You need to book in the evenings as we only offer 1 sitting -that way you can stay as long as you want to and make it a proper French evening! See you soon! Ulric - Chef-Patron
London, United Kingdom
“Different & nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

What a nice little "French" restaurant. Attentive service, good food & nice ambience.
One of the best meals that I've enjoyed for a long time. Mid range price. The only downside is that we had to wait a while for courses, but i suppose you'd forgive them as everything was very nicely cooked & presented when served. Portions quite large & wine competitively priced.
This was my first visit with friends & will definitely be returning again & will recommend to others.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“best place in maidstone!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Great service
Great food
Great Wine
Gorgeous Homemade Desserts
Fantastic Atmosphere
Would go every week If I could!!!

• Visited September 2013
Maidstone
“Fantastic french bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I took my boyfriend to this restaurant on the 30th October. I had decided that we should try somewhere a bit different.
Being a Wednesday before payday, I had assumed it would be quiet, however this was not the case, It was packed!

Atmosphere was really lovely, very chilled out.We sat by the door, which would be my only complaint as the door kept opening and it was chilly. Also music was a little hit and miss, we went most the evening without any music, until about the last 30 minute of our meal.

Food - Was so good. I had the camembert to start followed by the steak with Rockfort sauce and my boyfriend had the Pate to start and a makeral, salmon and crab salad for main. My food was amazing, although the camembert was a little big for a starter. My boyfriend really liked the salad, however he said it could have done with some bread and a littke less fish as it was a bit too much and he started to not enjoy it by the end.

It was a nice surprise to recieve complemtry drink at the end (baileys)

Service was ok, however I did have to get up to ask for the bill, which is ok, however the waiter (an older gentleman) was looking at his mobile so it was a little frustrating that we had seemed to be forgotten by the end of the meal.

All in all a lovely restaurant and a refreshing change from the chain restaurants that have taken over maidstone! Will defeniatly go back and recommend this to others as well.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Very good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We visited with friends last night and was really pleased with our choice of restaurant.
The food and service was top notch. You can tell that the chef has pride in what he is doing, the reason for the success.
The whole place has a nice warm, welcoming atmosphere. there was no rush to move us even with the place being very busy.
The comment about the Toilet is justified, however work is underway and it wasn't dirty or offensive at the time of our visit.
Well done Ulric (chef and owner), Highly recommended!

“OMFG FRENCH!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had an amazing time with the amazing food in this amazing restaurant.
Even the amazing team with an amazing beret with an amazingly melted candle in a bottle kept us entertained.
The food was cooked with love and tasted as good as it looked, and it looked great!
A warm friendly welcome and exit will greatly influence us to return again. This restaurant lives up to its No1 restaurant in Maidstone status from trip advisor to date.
Being all about the customer is how it should be, and this truly humanistic restaurant elegantly pulled this off.

£50 for 2 drinks, 2 mains and 2 deserts including an £8 cheeseboard that turns out could have been shared by two people. I am stuffed!