“Yummy starters” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 204 restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a very small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food". As a latter day caveman from the Dordogne, you can expect my food to be rustic, simple, fresh and cooked to order. The atmosphere is lively & happening, the decor unpretentious and the service unfussy. We serve breakfast in the morning, French cafe favourites at lunchtime like Croque Monsieur, Pates & Omelettes and 4 evenings a week (Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat) we offer classic French bistro dishes - You need to book in the evenings as we only offer 1 sitting -that way you can stay as long as you want to and make it a proper French evening! See you soon! Ulric - Chef-Patron
Kent, England
“Yummy starters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Unusually, our party of 4 enjoyed the starters more than the mains, even though the toast on all of the starters was burnt! The choices were imaginative and beautifully presented, with lots of flavour. The main meals were all tasty, but the men in our party would have liked larger portions. I would have liked to have been warned about how hot the plate was! But, we loved the atmosphere and the service was both friendly and efficient. Frederic knew we had to get to the theatre and personally checked we were going to be on time. A nice touch. Definitely will return - have a feeling this is going to be a favourite. And, we need to check out the pastries which looked great. Do go - a Kent cafe which would be approved by those who are more used to the high standards of parts of London,

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

97% Recommend
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, friendly staff and great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Visited the bistro today for lunch, cannot fault! The service was very friendly, the food was delicious and generally had a great atmosphere. Could have sat there all afternoon with a nice glass of wine. This place will be a definite visit in the summer (if it ever comes!!) with the doors open, somewhere to sit and watch the world go by. Cannot wait to go back again!

• Visited April 2013
“Excellent birthday meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wanted to go somewhere a bit different for my birthday meal last week and settled on Frédéric's based on the reviews I read here. I sent my mum on a recce beforehand to see what it was like, and book a table if it was nice. She went and had a nice breakfast, booked a table and came away with a sample menu for us to look at, although the menu does change regularly.

We had a lovely meal, three courses each and a bottle of wine for around £80, which I thought was very reasonable for the quality of our meals. It was very quiet being a week night, but we didn't mind that at all. The staff/owner chatted to us during the evening which was friendly without being at all imposing. The food was divine, particularly the puddings!

We certainly intend to come back here! I hope this restaurant does well, it's really nice to go somewhere independent and therefore different from the chains of restaurants that we normally end up in.

• Visited March 2013
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service lets this superb bistro down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My partner and I visited this bistro on Good Friday for brunch as we happened to be passing and heard great reviews from friends. It is very quaint and French, which I loved. It was quiet when we arrived and found a table immediately. We were offered both breakfast and lunchtime menus due to our arrival time, which was great.

Upon looking at the menu the prices seemed expensive, HOWEVER do not be fooled, the food is of an excellent quality and well worth the prices.

We settled on a full english breakfast and a ham, spinach and brie omlette. We were in no rush (thank goodness), and were enjoying the ambience and eachs others company, however it took nearly 45 minutes to receive our meals, even for me that is a little long. We were seated by the entrance to the kitchen and could see how hard the chef/owner was working to freshly prepare all of the meals, so appreciated this and were patient. However the waitor/waitress really werent effective with their time management and assistance to the chef as the restaurant got busier. This is definitely something that should be addressed.

The food was SUPERB, fresh and excellent quality ingredients, and not just any brunch. From what I saw of the dinner menu and wine list I will definitely be visiting again on a special occasion as it has many dinner and wine choices I enjoy from France.

Overall the food makes this restaurant fantastic, which is, in my opinion, the most important thing. The decor and atmosphere is also very French, which I think is perfect. If the service matched, this restaurant really would be one of my favourties in Maidstone.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ulric-Frederic, Owner at Frederic Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind review – I am very sorry that you waited so long for your breakfast - service and delivery seem to be our Achilles heel right now , something I am determined to improve through better staff scheduling and training (I started my career as a waiter 20 years ago in France so I am passionate about great service )
I am delighted that you thought our price points reflected the quality offered and wanted to assure you that we never compromise on the quality of the ingredients or the methods of cooking them which might explain why some days when we get extremely busy this results in slower service.
London, United Kingdom
“Really nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had lunch here on Saturday , I had the french ploughmans and he had the croque Monsieur .
Really lovely atmosphere, good honest food.will be returning very soon.
Well done Frederic .