“23rd March 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 223 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We are a very small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food". As a latter day caveman from the Dordogne, you can expect my food to be rustic, simple, fresh and cooked to order. The atmosphere is lively & happening, the decor unpretentious and the service unfussy. We serve breakfast in the morning, French cafe favourites at lunchtime like Croque Monsieur, Pates & Omelettes and 4 evenings a week (Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat) we offer classic French bistro dishes - You need to book in the evenings as we only offer 1 sitting -that way you can stay as long as you want to and make it a proper French evening! See you soon! Ulric - Chef-Patron
“23rd March 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Excellent restaurant, lovely food, atmosphere and service were perfect. The cheeseboard is a must and they do half bottles of wine which is good.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“The best oasis Maidstone has to offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Firstly, I have now visited Frederic's four times in the last week! I cannot seem to get enough!

This Bistro is exactly what I have been wishing for, as a lover of food and particularly French culture, it ticks every box.

I popped in for tea and pastry with a friend, (They do a lovely selection of speciality ones, my favorite being Jasmine), had two lovely relaxing lunches and one of the best evening dining experiences I have ever had.

The food is divine, it accommodates those who have no experience with French cooking, those who only know the famous dishes and those that have experience with classic French, with fresh new twists. I think the staff must be shocked and a little overwhelmed by everyone's praise , because this is simple French food,(all be it done breathtakingly well) but to have it in Maidstone, I can't help but get excited and let them know how pleased I am after every single bite!

So far I have sampled the beautiful prosciutto ham and brie on toasted brioche with creme fraiche and the smoked salmon version, The French Ploughmans (With plentify ham, cheese, pate, homemade chutney, and fresh baguette) and the sublime fish stew.

My favourite being the Fish Stew, with scallops, monkfish and sea bass on rice, with a surprisingly creamy yet refreshing coconut and ginger sauce. Utterly incredible. Even my fiance who is sometimes reluctant to try new things, praised the dish immensely. The fish was sweet and succulent with lovely fresh and crunchy green beans, the rice cooked to perfection.

I am very passionate about my food, and it is a pleasure to see the chef is too. Although he is very modest, he will make sure to accommodate your every need, and with an open kitchen his charm seeps through into the restaurant.

The two things that really make this place unique, is the local fresh produce, that sees the menu change frequently and the atmosphere. It really is like going to the continent for the afternoon, there is no rushing here, and the wine finishes everything off extremely well!!

I look forward to many more visits, from special occasions coming up this year, to relaxing lunches. I must try the duck soon too!!

All the Best to Ulric and his team!

Lauren

“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Went last Saturday for a meal with my family. restaurant was just fantastic- great atmosphere, lovely food, & brilliant service. Don't usually bother writing reviews but loved this place so much that I just had to!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Food good ,could do better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and i visited expecting the five star trip advisor lunch that we craved ,unfortunately we did not get this,see below for reasons why you need try this bistro before you carry on reading.
Firstly ,our lunch tasted great.
Secondly the very polite chef ,who came up to us and advised of our meal accordingly ,ie ,french or english eggs,my wife went for english and shamedly cheddar(not on the menu thankfully),and my duck cooked pink ,devine,possibly the best cooked duck that i have ate in along time.
Thirdly,very nice selection of wines and all meals fairly priced.

Three stars instead of five for the Following reasons.......................
Ash trays full of cigarette butts outside on the patio before entering,considering no one was sitting outside,it makes you wonder how long they were there for,not the chefs fault .
Too dark,no light ambience.
Not seated or menu's provided until asked,staff looked flustered though not entirely busy.
Staff fairly miserableand looked lathergic,possibly the reason for the non emptying of ash trays.
Tables felt dirty and the furniture and parts of the decor not up to scratch,feels as though the have ruhed moving in .
And lastly the pasteries etc are left in the windows with no covers ,this my wife and i feel to be not the most hygenic place to be left seen as they are right by the entrance / exit doors.
As the subject suggests great food but could be a five star if the above was vastly improved.
Would i come again,yes,would i expect improvements on our next visit ,HELL YES.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ulric-Frederic, Owner at Frederic Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for saying that I was most polite and that you enjoyed my cooking.
In truth I am merely a simple café offering what I believe is good quality food with a French accent and reasonably priced. I note your observations regarding service and agree we can always improve – the open air cake display is similar to that found in respected chains like Carluccio’s but of course I realise that this won’t be to everyone’s taste.
Whilst we did “rush in” we decided on this stripped down rustic look for the furniture, décor and lighting as this is what a provincial café in 1930’s France would have looked like and as such I am afraid that I shan’t be changing this anytime soon (if only on cost grounds) . I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back very soon with the caveat that you probably won’t be seeing the furniture improvements you demanded.
Ulric Allsebrook
Chef-Patron
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, inviting and music at a level so you can hold a conversation!. Fantastic find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited here today for a coffee and a catch up with friends. Had a lovely coffee served by attentive and polite staff (a very rare thing it seems in most cafes these days!). For the hour we were there I quite forgot was still in maidstone!. Has a lovely atmosphere and pleased to say the music was discreet so could actually hold a conversation easily which is a problem in lots of places. Although we didn't eat the food being served looked lovely and I will be returning for lunch or dinner next time followed by one of the cakes in the window. They were not your run of the mill offering, looked gorgeous and will be difficult to decide which to have....I may just have to sample them all!.