“very disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ashford, United Kingdom
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We took my 2 sons aged 6 & 1 here today paid £17 for a family swim only to be in the pool for no more than 20minutes. Both baby pools were shut so we ventured to the main pool. As soon as we stepped in the water was freezing cold, but we thought we'd warm up in time. 5minutes later and my 1 year olds lips were blue and he was shivering. My 6 year old wanted to go in the deep end only to be rudely spoken to by one of the life guards as he had armbands on. within another 5/10minutes his lips also went blue & he was shivering. Im heavily pregnant & even I was too cold to continue in this unpleasant pool. We got out and was approached by a young female lifeguard who was a saint , she was absolutely brilliant apologised & said to claim a refund & she was making her manager aware id be doing just that.
So after getting washed & dressed we headed to the main reception,told them what had happened for another young lad to be rude & begrudgingly giving me my refund. Just to top off the whole experience, on our way out we had no apology from them & an older lady on reception to say the life guard had no right to help me the way she did & I shouldnt of been given my money back!
Whats normally a pleasant experience has absolutely been destroyed & will never be returning. The staff clearly need more training on customer care but all credit to the young lady lifeguard.

Visited August 2014
James R, General Manager at Maidstone Leisure Centre, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Dear ellydodds, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your visit was not indicative of your previous "pleasant experiences". We do hope that you try us again soon, perhaps when your new-born arrives! In the meantime, we have shared your feedback with the team to aid as a training tool and spoken to the management team regarding this incident and the need for consistency. We are pleased you were given a full refund and trust you will accept out apologies for the dip in standards on this occasion.

Brighton, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Sunday trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We live in Brighton and went for a day out.Nice pool with waves and lots of swimming toys for children.reasonably priced

Dear JackAndrew33, Thank you for taking the time to review us and travelling such a long way to enjoy the facilities. We are pleased you had a great time and hope to see you again soon!
23 attraction reviews
“Poor! ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We came here all the way from suffolk and was left very disappointed. It was £16 for a family of 4- which is ok but only being in the pool half and hours wasn't so good. All in the kids swimming pools was either mud or sand all over the bottom so doesn't scream out clean. While swimming I kept having hairs stuck to me..Long hair. Revolting! The changing area and around the pools needed a dam good mop, very dirty. The kids play areas were ok for my two children. Would never return!

Dear Melvis69, thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry you had a disappointing visit. The sand came from our water filtration system (nothing more sinister) and has since been swept up by our underwater pool vac that is used most evenings. The changing rooms does have high levels of usage during the holidays and as such we quickly dedicated a member of the cleaning team to the area which vastly improved things. We will aim to allocate cleaning resources to the area throughout peak times moving forward. We do hope you try us again and would like to apologise for the poor experience you encountered on this occasion.
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Very Unimpressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My Boys are aged 2 and 3 and love swimming and was hoping to go somewhere new and exciting. Decided to take my boys in the Summer Holidays as I had seen it advertised in "The Primary Times" Was welcomed by a FREE bouncy castle as we came into the main area, however this was for 5-11 year olds only (already my children were upset) then we were welcomed by the absolutely appalling stench in the family changing rooms (It smelt like a mixture of wee and feet). Once we got into the pool half the water features in the children's area were not functioning making it very boring for my boys as well as there being copious amounts of mould. Was hoping to take them on the water slide however it is so slow that adults aren't actually allowed on with the children (they can however go separately) We stayed for 20 minutes however we were so unimpressed and appalled at the total lack of hygiene that we left after 20 minutes and asked for a full refund and they happily obliged. Makes you wonder if I wasn't the only person to ask for my money back today. I would not visit again if someone paid me! 35 minutes there, an hour spent there (getting my boys undressed and dressed again, 30 minutes to get back, so over 2 hours wasted on what I had hoped would be a brilliant day out.

Visited July 2014
James R, General Manager at Maidstone Leisure Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to review, we view all customer feedback as essential to improving our standards.

We are extremely sorry for your disappointing visit and we are confident that this is not the usual standard of service we provide. We do hope you will accept our apologies.

In the meantime, we have a new bouncy castle arriving next week which will be more suitable for the little ones.

We are surprised by the comments relating to the family changing rooms as we have dedicated cleaner in there throughout the busy periods during the summer holidays. We can only assume therefore that our team could not get in there after those using the facility before you had left.

The flume is actually quite speedy (our record being 6.8 seconds), however the manufacture guidelines do not allow for dual riding and this would have been a problem for you during your visit. The wave machine is a popular feature and operates very 30mins for 5mins. We have recently received our order of new 'tug boats' (floats) suitable for the young children who would also enjoy the water sprays and other features. The river run we have can be used for little ones also although the giant inflatable obstacle course and diving boards are mainly for stronger swimmers.

Should you wish to visit us again in the near future, please email james.reynolds@serco.com and we would be happy to provide you with a complimentary pass to try us again.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Don't join up if you want to use the pool! ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Excellent gym facilities.
I joined as my current gym didn't have a swimming pool. I wanted to swim, but since joining found that there is never a free slot when I can swim, as the pools are constantly being used by clubs & children's lessons.
I have been sent to the kiddies pool so many times it's embarrassing.
Very disappointed they don't allocate pool space for membership holders while classes are going on! Will not be renewing.

Dear Crakajaxx,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We do believe that we offer a diverse programme for many users of the facility ranging from families, lessons, schools, and H2O Parties to name just a few. Despite this however, there is lane swimming on offer every hour of our pool programme apart from short windows when it is hired to the Maidstone Swimming Club, these sessions are on; Tues19.00 - 21.00 (reopen for Lane swimming from 21.00-22.00), Thur 19.00 - 21.00 (reopen for Lane swimming from 21.00-22.00), Fri 19.00 - 22.00 and Sun 19.00 - 21.00.

Should you avoid these times we, pool space is allocated next to other sessions such as lessons.

We trust this may help and should you have further feedback do not hesitate in contacting us directly.

Many Thanks,