“Oasis of calm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Townhouse Hotel

You added The Townhouse Hotel to your Saves list
The Townhouse Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   74 King Street, Maidstone ME14 1BH, England (Formerly King Street Hotel)   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Maidstone
“Oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night to go to friends party. Lovely room, welcoming reception and great location. Would have been good if breakfast was a little later. 930 is a bit early to stop serving on a Sunday! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Haverhill, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed one night at the Townhouse on business on my own. Excellent check in- so friendly and the young lady that checked me in even carried my suitcase upstairs even though I could have done this myself. Close to town centre. Room lovely, clean and the bed very comfortable and from someone who doesn't sleep that good in Hotel beds I would recommend this obese.

Room Tip: As a business traveller who wants wifi access which is free ask for a room with better access. My ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel itself is very nice, maybe not quite the £119 price tag nice, but it's a decent little hotel.

The service however was some of the worst I've ever encountered and we travel a lot.

My boyfriend and I were in town visiting family and friends, we live in Sydney, Aus so it was a busy night for us. The hotel had provided all the guests with an out of ours key code to get into the hotel.

We arrived back at the hotel at 3am to find that even with the key code the door had been bolted from the inside and we were locked out. I called the out of hours mobile number provided and it was then I encountered the WORST customer service I've ever experienced.

The guy who answered the phone had the worst attitude and was actually trying to tell me it was my problem as I'm out so late. He repeatedly asked me the time and told me that he was at home with his family. His tone was so rude, I actually had to ask himself to remind himself that I was a customer and he is the provided out of hours contact and should speak more professionally.

As it turns out absolutely not one member of staff actually stays on site during the night, this particular staff member lived 30 minutes away in a taxi.

At 4am and thoroughly outraged at how id been spoken to, we were eventually let in after the guy scaled the wall at the back on the building to let us in.

Based on this one Staff members behaviour we will certainly be avoiding this place on all future visits and telling all our friends to do the same.

I find it completely outrageous that not one staff member remains in the hotel, over night, there is no security and the only contact is 30 minutes drive away.

I would highly recommend that if you intend on staying out later than 11pm that you look at very similar nearby hotels like The Grangemore and Oakwood house where the experience is a little more professional and courteous.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

After travelling up from South Wales we stayed at the Townhouse for 1 night during a brief vist to Kent and we wished we had stayed longer.The staff were extremely professional and welcoming Having stayed in so many chain hotels it was a pleasant surprise to have a room with so much character and charm with beautiful high ceilings. There is a new very modern garden terrace and courtyard at the rear of the hotel which was a pleasant surprise and excellent waiter, waitress service meant a few more glasses of wine were drunk than were meant to be!! We had a delicious evening meal 5 star standard and there was no problem catering for my coeliac gluten intolerance allergy.No hesitation in recommending this hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed in the Town House Hotel in August after travelling around the country for 9 weeks. This was by far the best hotel I stayed in throughout this time. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help us whenever possible. I'd highly reccomend Adam's 'Town House Special' cocktail at the bar and I loved the warm crossaints in the morning. If I was being picky the room was a bit small, would have liked a bath and more plug sockets. Overall it was fresh, clean and friendly and I would say it's probably the best hotel in Maidstone.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a family room on the top floor of the annexe building. Clean and nice and quiet. Ours the only room on that floor so no stress about our toddler or baby waking any neighbours.
Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful (carrying bags, setting up travel cot in advance, providing milk, generally pleasant and nice).
Room nicely decorated, not especially fancy but again that was a good thing with 2 children in with us.
Restaurant really nice, we had Sunday lunch which was exceptional.
Handy for Turkey Mill as well as the town centre.
The only thing I'd say was that for families, do be aware that the room we had didn't have a bath, only a shower. Fine for us but not all kids cope well with that. Also, parking potentially an issue, but we managed to get a space right outside (free from 6pm to 8am and all day Sunday) every day except one, when we were able to park in the hotel spaces very close by (though had to move by 8am).
Overall, a lovely stay in a really nice, quiet family room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I booked four rooms for my friends and I (we were going to a wedding) Which was quite a responsibility! to my relief, all of us were so happy with the hotel. The staff gave us a really warm welcome, the carpark we used is next door (£4 for the night) the room was bright and fresh with The White Company soaps etc. and big kingsize bed. The food was amazing - we had a cheeky burger before the wedding which was fab and breakfast was great and cooked to order. If you're going to Maidstone, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Townhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!