“average castle” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Leeds Castle like an insider
Special Offer
$123*
and up
Leeds Castle Private Viewing, Canterbury and...
Ranked #1 of 85 things to do in Maidstone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Getting married
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Considered one of the most romantic castles in England, this historic site was originally the stately home of the Saxon royal family during the reign of Ethelbert IV in 856-860.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Maidstone, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
“average castle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

we have got a yearly pass to leed castle.we come here a lot.the boat is good and the playground is brilliant.the castle is very old and smelly but it is fun to look around.we will continue coming here and renewing our tickets.also the maze is very challenging. the tip is KEEP YOUR HAND ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE AND GO LEFT ONCE.

Visited July 2012

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
23 attraction reviews
“Beautiful during any season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a major attraction so I expected a lot from it. On the whole I wasn't disappointed. The castle and grounds cater for all ages. It is a little pricey if you do not live near enough to go several times during the year but the tickets last for a year and most people would want to return during the different seasons.

There is a bus that will take you to the castle for 50p per person but I would suggest that you walk at least one way; you miss so much on the bus.

The castle is very pretty and I was particularly impressed that you can take photographs inside.

Canterbury
“Beautiful grounds even in Winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Went during Half-Term, and wasn't as busy as I would've expected it to be - though I expect it's not aimed at the younger children. Saying this, we did see families with young children and they seemed quite entertained doing a sort of treasure-hunt through the castle.

Was initially a little put off by the entrance fee, until I found that one ticket lasts for a full year! I am very much looking forward to seeing just how good the grounds look during the Summer months, as I thought it looked beautiful even in Winter.

We went to watch the falconry display, and though it was cold we waited for a late start - I've worked with animals so I know that you can't always do everything according to plan! This became even more obvious when the peregrine falcon flew off into the distance before the big finale! The display was enjoyable, though it was quite hard to hear what the falconer was saying a lot of the time, even with a microphone.

Stopped off at the little cafe for a cupful of chips to warm up a bit - could have done with some extra seating indoors as it was so cold, and it seemed the only other place to sit was out in the wind or in the childrens' entertainment tent...The staff in the cafe seemed to be a bit all-over-the-place with no real system in place, a couple of people before us got their orders swapped round - but otherwise the service was OK.

There were some renovation/restoration works going on on the gatehouse which drew away from some of the aesthetics of the place - though I suppose they need to be done before the summer when I expect it'll get quite busy.

The inside of the castle is quite magnificent - there were audio tours available, but we decided to just have a walk around ourselves to look at everything. All the rooms seem very well looked after, and there are stewards in most places if you have any questions. There are also some more up-to-date rooms (for a castle anyway!) that had been renovated by some of the more recent owners - they did seem a little out of place, but it does show how the place has changed with the centuries.

After the castle we went to the Maze - this was quite fun even for a couple of grown-ups - I can imagine a lot of arguments breaking out in there as people decide which way to go! (My suggestion is one person decides for a few minutes, then keep taking turns!) Eventually we made it to the middle - admittedly with the guidance of a child already in the middle! - and found the Grotto, an underground cave with wishing wells, and rock and shell sculptures, it's also the way out of the maze so you don't have to find you way back again! NB There is a man on the gate of the maze all the time - I'm hoping he's there to guide people out should they get totally lost!

Overall the trip was very enjoyable, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice day out. I would go back, and am especially looking forward to trying to take a Segway tour at some point.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Reasonable experience, at a very high price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have visited Leeds Castle, and overall enjoyed the experience. I found the grounds, especially the maize and grotto, and the castle itself pleasant to walk round.
Unfortunately while walking round we were still reeling from the extortionate price! At nearly £20 a head I felt it was extremely overpriced, and in truth, a rip off. To then discover that you don't even get a map included, or the audio tour, and had to pay more money for see, was disappointing.
The fact that the tickets are valid for a year is irrelevant, as most visitors are tourists, and wouldn't return.

England
6 attraction reviews
“Good day out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Good day out with plenty to see and do. Also things for children. Gate house under refurbishment which was a little disappointing but still plenty of other things to do. The Maze is a must - great fun.